PDA

View Full Version : Is your handwriting Art..?

John the Monkey
May 23rd, 2012, 03:48 AM
Artist Annie Vought has created some interesting pieces using handwriting;

She "has completed several new structural paper works created by carefully cutting handwritten text out of large sheets of paper."

The effect of the paperless script is really quite striking - there's some nice shots of the piece at the link. It's art that's definitely made for cursive, in any case :)

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2012/05/new-cut-paper-correspondence-by-annie-vought

Bogon07
May 23rd, 2012, 03:58 AM
Wow, that is amazing. You'd have to be careful to ensure enough risers & descenders are there to connect the lines together.

KrazyIvan
May 23rd, 2012, 09:15 AM
WOW is right. How long does it take to cut one of those out and is it cut out by hand?

John the Monkey
May 23rd, 2012, 09:31 AM
"Annie takes fragments of written correspondence - from handwritten letters to text messages - that she has found, received, or written, enlarges and reworks the text on large paper, and then meticulously goes about removing the negative spaces with an X-acto knife. Because of the precision involved, Annie changes her X-acto blade after every five or six cuts, so she can easily go through close to 500 blades just to finish one piece."

(My emphasis). I say, BLIMEY.

KrazyIvan
May 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
"Annie takes fragments of written correspondence - from handwritten letters to text messages - that she has found, received, or written, enlarges and reworks the text on large paper, and then meticulously goes about removing the negative spaces with an X-acto knife. Because of the precision involved, Annie changes her X-acto blade after every five or six cuts, so she can easily go through close to 500 blades just to finish one piece."

(My emphasis). I say, BLIMEY.

In that case, "WOW" seems such a cheap word to use for describing her work. :jaw:

fountainpenkid
May 23rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
At the MOMA in new york, there is some handwiting by some italian artist displayed as art....it was very squiggly and interesting, totally beautiful in a random way.

And this woman here does amazing work. Cutting those out is a supercalafragilisticexpialadocious thing to do! (NOW say that isn't the right word ;)

Freddy
May 23rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
Incredible!

klpeabody
May 25th, 2012, 08:32 PM
creative people always amaze me.

jor412
May 25th, 2012, 09:26 PM
That's amazing work. Thanks for sharing the link.

brando090
May 27th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Wow!That's really cool, but come on, 500 blades...