PDA

View Full Version : Iron Gall help need! Please help!

yguo
March 22nd, 2014, 07:41 AM
Hello everybody,

I have been using the Diamine Registrar for about 2-3 weeks. I am using it absolutely everyday, and I always clean it out every friday and ink it up again on Sundays (I tried my best to clean it thoroughly until there is not any ink left on a tissue. But this Friday I found the converter part is kind of stained. I tried to use vinegar (1:10 diluted) to flush out, and I have been soaking it for about 1 hour or so, but it doesn't help.

Furthermore, after I observed my VP's nib part closely, I found there are some inky part by the back end of the nib. I am kind of concerned about the inner part since I cannot disassemble it completely. I didn't notice any flow problem in my daily use. I wonder how am I suppose to clean it? Is it ok to swap another ink in it? I really don't want to ruin that pen since that is my very first purchased fountain pen.

Thank you very much in advance!!

jde
March 22nd, 2014, 08:32 AM
Here's some expert advice in this thread. (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2207-Iron-Gall-Inks-How-concerned-should-I-be?p=55397&viewfull=1#post55397)

Don't switch inks just yet until you've investigated the cleaning methods, ay?

I don't think you want to soak your nib in the vinegar, just use for flushing. Read that thread as your starting point.

While you want to do your best to clean your nib... converters do get stained from time to time and that's not really a problem.

Breathe!

yguo
March 22nd, 2014, 08:56 AM
Okie.. I guess I'm gonna stick my VP to Registar ink all the way. Another dumb question: is it ok to stock the pen for a while after cleaning it thoroughly? Since I am unsure if there are some clogs in the nib unit's "invisible" part, and the converter is totally stained.

jde
March 22nd, 2014, 09:20 AM
Okie.. I guess I'm gonna stick my VP to Registar ink all the way. Another dumb question: is it ok to stock the pen for a while after cleaning it thoroughly? Since I am unsure if there are some clogs in the nib unit's "invisible" part, and the converter is totally stained.

Not dumb at all to ask. Yes, you can put it away.

After you've followed the IG cleaning advice in the other thread, and you find you do get a clog... you might invest in some Rapido-Eze if they have it where you live. You can give your nib a good soak in that. A used Decimo/VP nib unit I bought was clogged, and Rapido-Eze did the trick. It's safe for your pen. You might read through this (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/153237-koh-i-noor-rapido-eze-pen-cleaner/?p=1525665) or other threads on FPN for even more details about it.