PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Italic Stub FP any ideas ...

goldiesdad
May 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
I am toying with the notion of trying different nibs. Anyone have any idea where to get a Italic Stub FP on the cheap to see if I like it ...

Thanks

KrazyIvan
May 23rd, 2012, 04:11 PM
Get the Pilot 78G in broad. It is more of an italic than a stub but at $12, a steal.

goldiesdad
May 23rd, 2012, 04:35 PM
Great price I think I saw those on the isellpens web site ... Thanks

Are there any FP out there other than a custom one with a italic stub on her ...

manoeuver
May 23rd, 2012, 05:04 PM
Twisbi has a stub available for the 540 which any fp geek should own.

The Staples I frequent had a Pilot italic cartridge pen that looks like a squid for eight bucks. Also three widths of sheaffer calligraphy pens for maybe six bucks apiece. I liked the fine one, 0.7mm or thereabouts.

goldiesdad
May 23rd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the ideas on my way to Staples now ...

Twisbi has a stub available for the 540 which any fp geek should own.

The Staples I frequent had a Pilot italic cartridge pen that looks like a squid for eight bucks. Also three widths of sheaffer calligraphy pens for maybe six bucks apiece. I liked the fine one, 0.7mm or thereabouts.

KrazyIvan
May 23rd, 2012, 05:51 PM
If you have a Lamy Safari you can get a 1.1 mm nib for around $10 too.

Jon Szanto
May 23rd, 2012, 06:38 PM
I'm willing to be corrected on this, but the term "italic stub" isn't... uh, a commonly used term, though the "stub" was originally called a "stub italic". A nib is either italic or a stub, the stub being the more rounded, more forgiving of the two, while the italic and cursive italics are cut more sharply for even greater line variation.

Full info on Richard Binder's site (http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/nibs/primer.htm).

KrazyIvan
May 23rd, 2012, 07:40 PM
I'm willing to be corrected on this, but the term "italic stub" isn't... uh, a commonly used term, though the "stub" was originally called a "stub italic". A nib is either italic or a stub, the stub being the more rounded, more forgiving of the two, while the italic and cursive italics are cut more sharply for even greater line variation.

Full info on Richard Binder's site (http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/nibs/primer.htm).

You are right and I kind of eluded to it in my first post but I decided not to push it more.

JustDaveyB
May 23rd, 2012, 07:41 PM

I would make the following observations

The Lamy 1.1, 1.5 & 1.9mm italics are all very forgiving so I think of them as stubs.
Don't order a crisp italic nib from a nibmeister if you want to use it day to day - they are crisp!!
Richard Binder's cursive italics are superb but are on the crisp side of cursive - I use good paper and take care with nib angles.
Stipula and Aurora sell quite nice factory cursive italic nibs

goldiesdad
May 23rd, 2012, 08:45 PM
Your right Jon I want the more rounded more forgiving nib ... saw one on the Franklin-Christoph web site ...

Jon Szanto
May 23rd, 2012, 09:29 PM
My one and only Lamy 1.1 italic sucked so hard I thought it would create a rift in the time/space continuum. I've thought about getting a replacement nib (on the Vista), but I was so pissed I didn't even want to spend $10.

When I get a decent photo setup I'll post the pen that came in the mail yesterday, an incredible carmine Sheaffer Statesman from Gerry Berg that sports a custom 1.1 stub by none other than Greg Minuskin. If I ever run out of butter in the kitchen, that stub will suffice...

Jon Szanto
May 23rd, 2012, 09:34 PM
Your right Jon I want the more rounded more forgiving nib ... saw one on the Franklin-Christoph web site ...
I hear you. I'm left-handed, and while I don't make a lot of concessions to it, if you try to write in a very common script-like manner, you end up pushing the nib in directions it doesn't really want to go (on the paper). Non-round-tip nibs are what one wants for line variation to add character to your writing, but this is where I discovered a good stub is so helpful to me. I've got some nice CI nibs now, but I use them when I have quiet time, patience, and something important I want to write (a letter to an old friend, etc). If I have to do a lot of writing, or pick it up and write quickly, the stubs are much, much more enjoyable and comfortable to write with.

Best of luck on your hunt. If you can pop for a couple extra bucks, Pendleton Brown is a great guy to work with. His nibs are lovely to write with!

goldiesdad
May 24th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Pendleton Brown nibs are outstanding I just don't have one ... Thanks for the intel ...

KrazyIvan
May 24th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Just get the nicest juiciest B nib pen you like and have it stubbed by Tyler Dahl.

GemMayhem
May 31st, 2012, 08:51 PM
Best of luck on your hunt. If you can pop for a couple extra bucks, Pendleton Brown is a great guy to work with. His nibs are lovely to write with!
I wholeheartedly agree about Pendleton and his nibs. His prices are very reasonable, too, so if you decide you like stub nibs, I hope you have a chance to try his. Best of luck in your search!

peterpen53
June 1st, 2012, 01:04 AM
Funny, my experience with the Lamy's is quite the opposite. I found them to be rather unforgiving and quite crisp.
I agree on the TWSBI's, but they require a fairly wet ink e.g PR. I very much like the Visconti factory stubs, but they come at a price, like the Delta's.
Conway Stewart offers 3 different cursive italics in almost all their fountain pens, but I don't have any experience with those.

jotterius
June 1st, 2012, 07:54 AM
TWSBI stub nibs
Lamy italic nibs
Pilot 78G, Parralel, Plumix

jor412
June 5th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Kaweco has italic nibs which I have yet to try. But they're available as a nib option at goulet pens.

tytoalba
June 5th, 2012, 09:59 AM
For a surprising, pleasant 1st italic experience, easily found in US at Target and other store, Pilot Plumix at $7. (Fine & Medium nib). I did not know about the 78G broad being the same italic as Plumix. The Fine/Medium 78G's I received are not the same as Plumix italic's.
Again from my experience, Lamy 1.1 that came On Safari is smooth and possibly one of best nibs ever-out of the box. I also have the Lamy Joy set which has a crisp italic, & per the experience of Jon, you must slow way down, as forcing the crisp italic = frustration as you try to make the nib behave (hah).
By far the most wonderful italic I've used were Pilot Vanishing Points which were modified by John Mottishaw into cursive italic's, which adds the "buttery smooth" feature to the italic experience.
I've not had the opportunity to try those modified by other well-known's but would expect as similar fine result.

freddygirl
June 5th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I've got some of both the Plumix and the 78G broad. They are not exactly the same nibs but they can be swapped out with each other. The Plumix nibs are silver in color and seem to be just a tiny bit "crisper" than the 78G. The 78G broad nib is gold colored and appears (at least to me) to write a little more broadly and softly than the Plumix. They are both "finer" than the Lamy 1.1 (which I also have).
For the money, if you want to try out an italic, I would definitely recommend starting with either the Plumix or the 78G and if you like them, go from there.
My current faves are a Pelikan M200 with a Binder .6 cursive italic, Cesare Emiliano with a stub nib that I got from Pendleton Brown and a handmade pen that I had Mike Masuyama grind to a fine italic at the Triangle Pen Show.

manoeuver
June 5th, 2012, 12:14 PM
That's great news about the Plumix, as I've got one of those right here and I don't want to buy a 78G as it would be a breach of my Pen Commandments.

Extra points to the plumix as it looks like a squid. yum, yummy!

jor412
June 5th, 2012, 11:20 PM
That's great news about the Plumix, as I've got one of those right here and I don't want to buy a 78G as it would be a breach of my Pen Commandments.

Extra points to the plumix as it looks like a squid. yum, yummy!

What are your pen commandments? :D

manoeuver
June 6th, 2012, 07:01 AM
What are your pen commandments? :Dcoming up later today... gotta write em out.

miatapaul
June 6th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Get the Pilot 78G in broad. It is more of an italic than a stub but at $12, a steal.

I like mine, but can't find it GRRRR :mad::mad: I know it is not lost, we just moved and I cannot find my box that has the stuff I had on my nightstand. Has my "good" pair of eyeglasses and my preferred watch in it too. I think "she" buried it in the basement under other boxes.