PDA

View Full Version : Writing a Torah....

Nomdeplume
March 23rd, 2014, 10:16 AM
Our synagogue is taking on a huge task! As both fund-raiser and community-building activity, we are about to embark on writing a complete Torah.
Very exciting. The first letters will be written today.

If I can, I will post some pictures of the progress....

ypsilanti
March 23rd, 2014, 11:57 AM
That's amazing! Looking forward to pictures.

snedwos
March 23rd, 2014, 12:44 PM
Cool!

Crazyorange
March 23rd, 2014, 01:09 PM
Let's see pics:)

tandaina
March 23rd, 2014, 01:10 PM
What a huge undertaking! Very cool. :)

VertOlive
March 23rd, 2014, 01:21 PM
A major undertaking!

jacksterp
April 7th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Can't wait to see this progress.

Very special indeed!

Nomdeplume
May 6th, 2014, 01:48 PM

Note the unfinished letters at the top. We got to say a prayer and fill in a letter....well, the soifer, or scribe, had us hold the turkey feather quill while he managed the process!

He has done an incredible job with the work. It is ink of his own mixing, following an ancient recipe. Beautiful and inspirational moment.

Lady Onogaro
May 6th, 2014, 01:53 PM
So beautiful.

VertOlive
May 6th, 2014, 02:19 PM
You're saying the scribe outlines the letter first and then fills it in?!?! Amazing steady hand, that. Beautiful result!

ypsilanti
May 6th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Gorgeous!

Nomdeplume
May 6th, 2014, 05:46 PM
You're saying the scribe outlines the letter first and then fills it in?!?! Amazing steady hand, that. Beautiful result!

Yes, he does all the work! He cuts his own quills from turkey feathers. Each person(s) participating is fulfilling one of the 613 mitzvahs (good deeds) described in the text of the Torah.
We sat with him and had a discussion about our letter, the word, and the passage. Talked about whether it had any significant, deeper meaning for our lives....

Then we drank a little schnapps, had a nosh, and made a donation!

VertOlive
May 6th, 2014, 06:33 PM

Yes, he does all the work! He cuts his own quills from turkey feathers. Each person(s) participating is fulfilling one of the 613 mitzvahs (good deeds) described in the text of the Torah.
We sat with him and had a discussion about our letter, the word, and the passage. Talked about whether it had any significant, deeper meaning for our lives....

This is one of the mitzvahs we discussed in class this month! How long has your soifer been doing this? Can you tell us something about the ink used?

Lady Onogaro
May 6th, 2014, 07:48 PM

This is one of the mitzvahs we discussed in class this month! How long has your soifer been doing this? Can you tell us something about the ink used?

This reminds me, VertOlive--what happened with your iron gall ink? Is it still in progress/process?

VertOlive
May 7th, 2014, 07:52 AM

This reminds me, VertOlive--what happened with your iron gall ink? Is it still in progress/process?

The two jars are ready for me to finish the mix at any time--I'm hoping to get DH and DS out of the house Saturday and finish the brew and see what we get.

jbb
May 7th, 2014, 08:38 AM
This is amazing on so many levels!!!!!

drgoretex
May 12th, 2014, 08:28 PM
COOL!!