PDA

View Full Version : Noob First Fountain Pen

penmanship
March 23rd, 2014, 09:41 PM
I am trying to get my hands on my first fountain pen. I've narrowed down to either the Pilot Metropolitan or the Parker IM. Could you please advise on what is the best starter fountain pen to get? I read the reviews but I am still conflicted. What is your opinions? Thanks:)

Dad Of Sapling
March 23rd, 2014, 10:12 PM
Hi and welcome to FPG. I have both the Metro and the IM. I would recommend the Metropolitan. I haven't had a single problem with it. The medium nib writes more like a fine, but is very smooth. It comes with a squeeze type cartridge converter, but I would suggest spending a few extra bucks and getting the Con-50. It is always nice to see how much ink you have left. I am fairly happy with the IM, but I find the nib runs a little dry and I have to store it nib down or else the nib dries out. I haven't heard of anyone else having problems so it may just be me. But still all things being equal I would still pick the Metro over the IM. Especially as an everyday carry pen.

Sandy Fry
March 23rd, 2014, 10:46 PM
I don't have a Metropolitan but I do have the Parker IM. I agree with Dad...the IM is very dry and a hard started when it does go dry. I have heard good things about the metropolitan and for less that $20 it is a bargain.

David

Jeph
March 24th, 2014, 01:01 AM
If I had to pick from those two I would also pick the Pilot Metropolitan. (My first purchase was the Pilot Varsity.) I think the IM looks better, but the Metropolitan is a better value. Plus, for a first pen, you want a high probability of working well out of the box. You never get another chance at a first impression. I am sure that I could tweak the IM enough to work well, but why should I bother? Even if you can find them at the same price point I would still go with the Pilot.

kia
March 24th, 2014, 02:26 AM
I agree. The Pilot Metropolitan is a very good starting point pen. I keep a couple of them on hand. I've not had as much luck with the modern Parker in my own experiences. The Pilot is a great value. Also, the Metropolitan uses Pilot's proprietary cartridges, which are very easy to refill from bottled ink and hold a little bit more ink than standard cartridges.

Welcome to FPGeeks, and may the madness begin!

pico
March 24th, 2014, 06:28 AM
I'm a Parker guy from way back. I prefer the Parker Urban to the IM. But, for a first try into the FP arena I agree with the others. Pilots are very good pens and the Metropolitan is a fantastic value for what you get.

ac12
March 24th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I have both pens.
I recommend the Pilot Metro because it is sooooo smooth, and at a great price.
The IM that I have wrote just fine with the standard M nib. I sent it back to Parker to exchange the nib for a F and it too wrote fine. All with Waterman ink. I have not tried it with other inks. The IM was just a bit too heavy and fat for my small hand, which is why I vote for the Pilot Metro. But either pen is a good starter pen.

Lady Onogaro
March 24th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I would go with the Metropolitan. It's inexpensive and very dependable.

fpquest
March 24th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I have to agree with the consensus that you can't go wrong with the Pilot metropolitan as a first pen. Mine wrote great out of the box. I prefer fine and extra fine nibs and I have to say the Metro's nib is on the thin side of medium and I like it. I don't have an IM so I can't compare.

cwent2
March 24th, 2014, 04:36 PM
I would go with the Metropolitan. It's inexpensive and very dependable.

+1!

Runnin_Ute
March 29th, 2014, 09:00 PM
My first pen was a Lamy Al Star and I have a number of others. My only Parker is a 45 Flighter with a 14k nib. (a Parker 45 is a great first pen as well)Given all that, my most recent purchase of a pen was a Metropolitan and I would Highly recommend it as a first pen - especially for someone on a budget. I would have spent the extra few bucks for the CON-50 converter, but Goulet was out when I ordered mine. And the stock one isn't bad, just that it is opaque rather than clear.

nigh means near
March 30th, 2014, 07:28 AM
I also agree with the consensus view. The metro is something else. It performs competitively with pens that cost several times as much as it. You really can't go wrong. Plus, in my opinion, it looks awesome too.

sharmon202
March 30th, 2014, 11:24 AM
What kind of line do you want, narrow or wider? Metro is a M nib and is kind of wide if you need a finer line. I love my Metro but I put a EF nib on it from a Penmanship, now it is right for me.