PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan Bindes by Chris Burton

trhall
March 24th, 2014, 05:09 AM
I posted about this earlier in another topic but thought it deserved its own.

Had Chris Burton at custom-bindes.com put Bindes on a Pelikan M205 and M405. One in Royal Purple and one in Blue Lizard vintage celluloid materials. I cannot express how beautiful these are. Even more so in person.

I know Chris is pretty busy but he does good work. Anyone else have a pen done by Chris? He has even done Pilot Vanishing Points in the past.

klpeabody
March 24th, 2014, 05:15 AM
Wow. Just wow. Thanks for posting. This is the first I have heard of such a technique.

Jeph
March 24th, 2014, 05:29 AM
He has an Ibis of mine, and it has finally moved to the top of the que. I hope for great things like yours. I did stare at those lizard colors for a long time.

trhall
March 24th, 2014, 05:31 AM
He has an Ibis of mine, and it has finally moved to the top of the que.

My pens were with him for quite a while but it was worth the wait. Hope you're as pleased as I am!

reprieve
March 24th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Those are gorgeous!

Jon Szanto
March 24th, 2014, 10:45 AM
TR, I saw your other post and got very enthused. I went to his site and sent him a message via his contact form. This was 4-5 days ago, and I haven't heard a word from him - is he usually a person that returns communications promptly? I don't want to pester a new contact person, but on the other hand if I am 'just a bother' or something I'll consider not going this route.

tandaina
March 24th, 2014, 10:59 AM
They are gorgeous, but I just can't afford a Pelikan and then the cost of the binde. When and if I find one with a destroyed binde for a song...

Jeph
March 24th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Chris is very,very busy. You will need a great deal of patience but as you can see the results are worth it.

Jon Szanto
March 24th, 2014, 01:03 PM
I understand busy, but simply acknowledging an email isn't an undue burden. I'll wait a little longer.

trhall
March 24th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Not sure if he is on spring break or anything. But he usually will reply quickly. His work queue is a bit long maybe though. :-)

da vinci
March 24th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Great looking pens.

How snug a fit are the bindes? Do they look natural or do they stand proud of the barrel? No criticism intended, just curious to understand how it affects the original pen.

trhall
March 24th, 2014, 08:51 PM
How snug a fit are the bindes? Do they look natural or do they stand proud of the barrel?

Chris takes down the old binde first so the new one is flush. Good question.

earthdawn
March 25th, 2014, 01:56 AM
Beautiful pens !!!

So the body or Binde is thinned down to fit a sleeve over it or is it replaced ?

Thanks... I know it may be a stupid question but I have never seen this done before.

trhall
March 25th, 2014, 04:14 AM
So the body or Binde is thinned down to fit a sleeve over it or is it replaced ?

Good question.

I'm no expert. As I understand it, the existing binde is thinned down / taken off and then a new one is added on.

Jeph
March 25th, 2014, 05:11 AM
The original binde is removed (carefully) and the new one is custom made to fit over the existing barrel and with the same OD and length as the original.
That is my understanding at least.

tandaina
March 25th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Pelikans have a body, and then a "binde," basically a sleeve that is fit over the barrel. That's the pretty green stripes, or blue, or red on the modern pens. That binde can be removed (obviously not easily). On some older pens the adhesive breaking down or shrinking of parts actually makes bindes able to slip right off, have seen it on old 100s.

So my understanding is he totally removes the original binde (sleeve) and then fits the new one. You can't tell it didn't come from the factory that way, except that Pelikan never mind pens in the colors he offers. ;)

dduran
March 25th, 2014, 07:55 AM
You *might* be able to take the binde off a modern Pelikan by soaking it in water. Happened to me a couple of times-- the binde nudged a little but didn't separate completely. Didn't attempt it as I might not be able to put it back :)

Lady Onogaro
March 25th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Pelikans have a body, and then a "binde," basically a sleeve that is fit over the barrel. That's the pretty green stripes, or blue, or red on the modern pens. That binde can be removed (obviously not easily). On some older pens the adhesive breaking down or shrinking of parts actually makes bindes able to slip right off, have seen it on old 100s.

So my understanding is he totally removes the original binde (sleeve) and then fits the new one. You can't tell it didn't come from the factory that way, except that Pelikan never mind pens in the colors he offers. ;)

Thank you for that explanation, Tandaina. I could see the difference, but I didn't know how it was accomplished.

bluefeathers
March 30th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I stopped by his site this morning and was just astounded by the gorgeous bindes he's created. The skill and technique to pull this off, especially on smaller-sized pens, must be very challenging. If I ever got one made, I would want him to make it!

BMG
April 24th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Lovely work. I’d love to have a pen "re-binded" by him at some point...

trhall
April 24th, 2014, 03:47 PM
A few people recently have seen these and are amazed at how seamless the binde is. They would not imagine it wasn't done at the factory, his Bindes are so precise.

gclyn
June 4th, 2014, 10:32 PM
That is lovely work...but I like my pens stock and original from factory...but if I was getting a custom pen made, I would definitely go this route.

philm
July 2nd, 2014, 03:14 PM
Here is one of his that I have had for quite some time. Snug fit, no slippage in the 8 years I have had it. (M800)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/BURTON/DSC_0005.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/munsonhsr/media/BURTON/DSC_0005.jpg.html)

Phil

trhall
July 5th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Here is one of his that I have had for quite some time. Snug fit, no slippage in the 8 years I have had it. (M800)

Great to hear this, Phil. I'm really pleased with Chris' work. Glad to know you are as well.

Frank
July 7th, 2014, 10:33 AM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/BURTON/DSC_0005.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/munsonhsr/media/BURTON/DSC_0005.jpg.html)

Phil

Great looking pen Phil!

:)

gregamckinney
July 7th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Chris put this "tiger eye" binde on my my M1000 a few years ago. It continues to be one of my favorite pens.

http://gergyor.com/images/m1000-tigereye.jpg

Best Regards, greg

trhall
July 11th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Chris put this "tiger eye" binde on my my M1000 a few years ago. It continues to be one of my favorite pens.

http://gergyor.com/images/m1000-tigereye.jpg

This is really stunning, Greg. I have an Edison in this material and it looks so classic. I'm sure that binde on your M1000 looks like it was meant for the pen!