PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Sailor KOP with Naginata Togi Nib?

lisantica
March 24th, 2014, 12:31 PM
I'm expecting one to arrive in a day or two and would like to read some recent thoughts on your experience (good or bad).

I haven't tried one, but have read a few reviews. I don't mind large pens so I know the size will be fine.
I like line variations so I'm hoping that this nib will help me achieve this by turning the pen to access the variety of line types.

Mostly, I'd like to read thoughts on your experience to hold me over. Anyone?

**Edit to add photo:

drgoretex
March 24th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Well, I don't have a KOP (would like to, but $$), but I do have a 1911 with a Naginata Togi nib. I certainly don't use it as an everyday carry pen, as the nib is not terribly practical for everyday writing. It tends to write pretty broad (too broad and wet for my workplace) unless you have the pen at a steep angle to the paper. Having said that, it is an absolute pleasure to use it with nice ink on decent paper to write letters etc, or simply to enjoy. The line variation is rather nice - at a medium angle, it writes a vertically narrow and horizontally broad line, which is rather cool. Closer to vertical, it narrows both vertical and horizontal lines up a bit. At a lower angle, it writes a consistently broad line.

Anyhow, lots of fun, but I find not for the workplace.

Cheers,

Ken

lisantica
March 24th, 2014, 12:46 PM
This sounds like what I'm hoping for. I want to write with it for sheer pleasure. I will enjoy the various angles based on pen/paper alignment.
I use a different pen for work.

Thank you, Ken, for your prompt reply.

Wile E Coyote
March 24th, 2014, 01:17 PM
I have the KOP with a NMF and it is my favorite pen. It is broad but I also use a peculiarly high angle to paper which makes all Sailor nibs work well for me. Unfortunately, I'm not talented enough to use it to it's full potential for variation; so it's just a broad nib for me. Like most Sailor nibs there is some feedback (not to be confused with scratchy).

I really like it with the Sailor Sei Boku or Black Nano inks. The one quirk is their little ink reservoir is too small for the KOP nib and I have to take it out to fill from the bottle.

lisantica
March 24th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Ahhh yes, I did read about the converter being small. Since I plan on using this at home, hopefully that will not be an issue for me.
I need to get some Sei Boku ink.

Wile E Coyote
March 24th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Well, yes, the converter is small for the pen. Mine is set to be a very wet writer. But I was referring to the reservoir in the ink bottle that Sailor puts in to help catch ink so the last of the ink in the bottle can be used.

http://www.sailor.co.jp/images/bungu/13-2001/exp.jpg

lisantica
March 24th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I did misunderstand, thank you for the diagram.

Silverbreeze
March 24th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Those are useful. Wish more ink makers included inserts though, can't tell you how many times I bought a TWSBI well just to transfer a new ink into, because the original bottle doesn't include one

lisantica
March 26th, 2014, 07:59 AM
KOP arrived.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/26/rabusa3y.jpg

kaisnowbird
March 29th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Congratulations! Have fun.