PDA

View Full Version : Ink and Demonstrator Pens

Lady Onogaro
March 25th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Hey, Geeks,

I would like your advice. I've read some of the threads on using red and purple based inks in demonstrators. Most people say to stay away from them. Some people say certain brands are safe. Some people say certain brands are safe as long as you flush your pens once a week.

I'm looking for some consistent advice.

I love purple. And I love using Pilot Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu in my TWSBI. I had it in my Mini for weeks, and I flushed the pen the other day, and the barrel was NOT stained. But someone said that Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo stained his TWSBI, even though some folks said that Pilot Iroshizuku inks were okay.

I also had Private Reserve Plum in my pen with no problem. (I have read what Mr. Binder has said about Waterman Ink and Diamine, but he also says he uses only one pen for his violet ink--and it's one that does not have a see-through barrel).

So do you know of certain brands that are safe (with respect to purple)? Is Waterman Tender Purple safe? How about Diamine purples, fuschias, etc.? What about Pilot blue-purples, like Asajai?

Or can I use anything as long as I flush it out once a week (or x number of days)?

Thank you for your advice and help.

Nomdeplume
March 25th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Getting consistent opinions may be your difficulty!
😜
Not only do inks vary, but I think the acrylics or resins used in the demonstrators probably vary as well!
I have Yama budo in both TWSBI and in a Preppy as an eye-dropper....the TWSBI is still clear, the Preppy is as dark as the ink itself (which I don't care about since it's a $3 pen!)

tandaina
March 25th, 2014, 09:22 AM
I use all my inks in my demonstrators. Red, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange. That's why I have a demonstrator, to see the pretty ink. I have never had an issue. (I don't own Noodler's Baystate Blue which I would not use in a demonstrator). But then I also don't terribly care about a bit of staining (never happened) because once filled it wouldn't show anyway. They are pens, I figure they'll get used, they'll get scuffed, they might even have ghosts of old ink stick around with them, not a big deal to me.

Lady Onogaro
March 25th, 2014, 11:15 AM
While I haven't had a problem in my TWSBIs, when I flushed the Private Reserve Purple Mojo out of my Pelikan M200, there was clearly a purple ring around the plastic where the feed is. I've had it in a cup feed end down for a few days, and some of the purple has drained out, but I am thinking it might never completely clear up.

I would be sadder not to use purple than I would to see a purple ring around the bottom of the section. (This is not a problem in the TWSBIs because the feed unit of the TWSBI is a screw-in and is black.

How long do you leave ink (or perhaps purple or red ink) in a pen before you flush it out?

Jon Szanto
March 25th, 2014, 11:37 AM
How long do you leave ink (or perhaps purple or red ink) in a pen before you flush it out?

I'm going to go out on a limb: you aren't going to get the answers to your questions that will give you the assurances you appear to be seeking. It starts when you simply refer to "ink". Inks are different. You can't make an across-the-board statement about ink behavior in any way. The same would even go for pens, to a certain extent. One must assume that all plastics (in demonstrators) are not the same, that the interior finishing (how much and how smoothly it has been polished) comes into play, that some areas that might be (microscopically) rough will have a tendency to collect or absorb ink. And so on.

If you are both concerned about these issues as well as dead-set on using certain colors, and particularly highly saturated colors, in demonstrator pens, all you can do is be vigilant and check occasionally by flushing and cleaning just how much staining you might be getting. It is a hazard YOU are choosing to embrace, and how much a little (potential) staining is worth the ability to use these inks. If you are absolutely certain that you have to have some really striking and deeply colored ink, there really isn't anything to stop you from using it in a non-demonstrator, and then keep your clear pens for inks that, over time, have shown to be kind to your transparent pens.

There are, I believe, just too many variables. If you were to rely on the anecdotal evidence of others, you aren't any closer to the absolute guarantee you seem to be looking for.

tandaina
March 25th, 2014, 11:49 AM
As usual, Jon is right.

Really you have to decide what your risk tolerance is and then proceed based on that. Sorry.

Jon Szanto
March 25th, 2014, 12:00 PM
As usual, Jon is right.

... said my wife never.

:)

Lady Onogaro
March 25th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Thank you both for your comments on the matter. I am thinking now, though, that it was a pretty silly set of questions. I'm embarrassed to have asked them. My apologies.

I look around at advertising for inks on the Jetpens site and the Goulets' site, and occasionally someone refers to "safe" inks; I wondered if that term had any objective meaning at all in anyone's experience. If I didn't before, I do understand now that it bears no guarantees at all.

Cookies
March 25th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Thank you both for your comments on the matter. I am thinking now, though, that it was a pretty silly set of questions. I'm embarrassed to have asked them. My apologies.

I look around at advertising for inks on the Jetpens site and the Goulets' site, and occasionally someone refers to "safe" inks; I wondered if that term had any objective meaning at all in anyone's experience. If I didn't before, I do understand now that it bears no guarantees at all.

Nonsense, they weren't silly questions at all. FWIW I say go for it, and use whatever you like. Even you you do stain the barrel a bit, you won't notice it when it's inked :)

Jon Szanto
March 25th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Nonsense, they weren't silly questions at all.

What she said.

kaisnowbird
March 25th, 2014, 03:03 PM
To be safe, I would not put a ink that may stain in a demonstrator that I'm not prepared to dissemble myself.

tiffanyhenschel
March 25th, 2014, 05:26 PM
When I see a reference to a "safe ink," I think of it as one that is not likely to damage my pen or clog a feed. Some inks are safer or lower maintenance than others.

In reference to the Yama Budo you mentioned above, it is one of the smoothest flowing, best behaved inks I have used. It does, however, stain. That does not keep me from using it in a translucent pen, though. As you gain experience, you will discover for yourself what bothers you and what doesn't matter.

tandaina
March 25th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Yeah, there is no such thing as "safe ink." The only ink I have ever had stain (and I own a ton, from Noodler's to Iro) is a bottle of Namiki blue. Permanently stained an antique tortoise Pelikan. I used it after an expert told me to never use that evil Noodlers in my antique Pelikans. The Namiki stained. I've been using Noodlers every since and not a single one has left a trace.

All ink can stain. That's its *job.* So proceed knowing that.

Jon Szanto
March 25th, 2014, 09:32 PM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/FP/ink_risk.jpg