PDA

View Full Version : Iroshizuku Inks - Where to buy?

eriquito
March 31st, 2010, 01:08 PM
Based on the many Iroshizuku ink reviews that have suddenly appeared in the Fountain Pen Geeks forum, I'd like to try some for myself.

Anyone have a favorite on-line retailer of Iroshizuku inks?

Gracias de antemano,

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Okami
April 1st, 2010, 04:26 AM
JetPens is the only US source as far as I know. http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/cPath/55_393_696

Over $25 and shipping is free. They are really fast too.

eriquito
April 1st, 2010, 08:09 AM
I ordered three bottles from JetPens last night =) Hopefully they'll show up at my door today? Could happen =)

The three colors I ordered:

Kiri-same Misty Rain (Misty Dark Gray)
Tsuki-yo Night Sky (Greenish Deep Blue)
Tsukushi Field Horsetail Brown (Reddish Dark Brown)

Realistically, I don't expect to see them until next week. I'll have to find ways to keep myself occupied until then.

=) Eric
Son of Ragnar

dannzeman
April 1st, 2010, 09:16 AM
There bottles? Three bottles?! You've got to be kidding me.

Sent from my DAMAGEDHERO200 using Tapatalk

eriquito
April 1st, 2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah, only three bottles.
Too few, right?
I should have gone for one bottle in each of the 17 colors.

=) Eric
Son of Ragnar

eriquito
April 3rd, 2010, 07:07 PM
http://www.fpgeeks.com/ec/images/iroshizuku_inks-300x200.jpg (http://www.fpgeeks.com/ec/images/iroshizuku_inks.jpg)

So... which bottle should I pop open first?

=) Eric
Son of Ragnar

dannzeman
April 3rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
I want to see a sample of this one: Tsuki-yo Night Sky (Greenish Deep Blue)
I bet it would look great coming out of the paintbrush, er, I mean the BB stub in your Wall Street LE.

eriquito
April 3rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
That's sounds like an excellent plan! I'll break open the Tsuki-yo first and send you a Greenish Deep Blue letter =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Okami
April 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
Tsuki-yo is deceptive - I find that it looks deep greenish blue coming out of my pen but tends to dry more blue. Syo-ro is just the opposite.

eriquito
April 4th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Tsuki-yo is deceptive - I find that it looks deep greenish blue coming out of my pen but tends to dry more blue.

I concur. The green is much easier to see when the ink is wet. Once dry, well, I can still see a bit of green - but only with a 10x loupe.

Everhow and however, it's a beautiful ink! It has a certain je ne sais quoi. It's somehow soothing, plus it looks like it would taste terrific (not that I've tasted it... yet).

It makes my Waterman Blue-Black appear boring.

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Okami
April 4th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I still like Tsuki-yo very much - but as I noted Syo-ro is the opposite. Blue coming out of the pen and dries more greenish blue - like Tsuki-yo when wet. It's very odd.

mattjs
April 4th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I bought my Tsuki-yo from JetPens, super speedy shipping. I have seen that Art Brown (artbrown.com; no affiliation) is now carrying the inks as well, but they are slightly more expensive.

Next on my list to try: Kon-peki. I love the tsuki-yo, but I'm still looking for a good, bright blue that has no purple. Until then, the night sky will be divine :D

Okami
April 11th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I just saw on Pocket Blonde's blog that Art Brown in NYC is carrying Iroskizuku inks - $28 per bottle. Less to buy from Jet Pens - Kon-peki is a wonderful bright blue

Wile E Coyote
April 12th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I order it directly from Japan, usually from Engeika. The ink costs $15 a bottle and EMS shipping is $13 for the first bottle and $7 for each additional. Do the math and you can see if you order two or more bottles and you'll save a few bucks. Plus the EMS shipping has been incredibly fast in my experience. I get packages from Japan faster using EMS than from CA using Priority Mail.

The other advantage to ordering direct from Japan is the availability of colors. I was in Art Brown a couple weeks ago and they only had one color left. I asked when they were expecting their next shipment and their reply was they hope to have it in two weeks. There are some colors that are limited editions that aren't exported at all. The only place I've seen them available to the USA is from Ujuku, but they are presently sold out.

eriquito
April 12th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I order it directly from Japan, usually from Engeika.

Excellent, Mr. Coyote! It hadn't even crossed my mind to look on eBay.

There doesn't seem to be any cost savings for me. Engeika is quoting $16 per bottle at the moment. Even though JetPens has them at $22.50, they ship for free on orders over $25. Adding to the calculation - I'm in California so JetPens must charge me sales tax. Still, there's little difference in overall cost.

But I'll certainly keep Engeika in mind for when JetPens does not have a color that I want/need/can't live without/must have.

Now I'm off to check out Ujuku...

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Tortoise
April 12th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Now I'm off to check out Ujuku...

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Ku-Jaku is one of my favorite inks -- great shading, and like a peacock, it seems to show different colors, from turquoise almost to a hint of brown. Kinda like getting two inks in one!

eriquito
April 12th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Ku-Jaku is one of my favorite inks -- great shading, and like a peacock, it seems to show different colors, from turquoise almost to a hint of brown. Kinda like getting two inks in one!

Oh no, another color with a great recommendation.

I see now... my fellow Fountain Pen Geeks won't rest until I am compelled to purchase every color offered in Iroshizuku.

I suppose I should thank you =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Okami
April 13th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I order it directly from Japan, usually from Engeika. The ink costs $15 a bottle and EMS shipping is $13 for the first bottle and $7 for each additional. Do the math and you can see if you order two or more bottles and you'll save a few bucks. Plus the EMS shipping has been incredibly fast in my experience. I get packages from Japan faster using EMS than from CA using Priority Mail.

The other advantage to ordering direct from Japan is the availability of colors. I was in Art Brown a couple weeks ago and they only had one color left. I asked when they were expecting their next shipment and their reply was they hope to have it in two weeks. There are some colors that are limited editions that aren't exported at all. The only place I've seen them available to the USA is from Ujuku, but they are presently sold out.

:confused: You would have to order more than two bottles since at this price two bottles would run $50 while two bottles is $45 from Jet Pens. Even 3 bottles are less at JetPens - you just don't have the wider color choice.

Wile E Coyote
May 25th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I was just about to order some Iroshizuku ink from Ujuku along with a pen when I came across a notice on their page that they can no longer export the ink for terrorism reasons. Then I tried Engeika; no Iroshizuku inks listed at all. Did a search of eBay and again no Iroshizuku inks come up. It's been posted by Jetpens that they are being forced by Pilot to increase their prices to closer to the $35 US list price as of June 1, 2010.

It looks like Pilot is putting an end to affordable Iroshizuku inks in the US.

If you want any Iroshizuku, you had better order it soon because as of June 1 you're not going to find it for less than $28 a bottle in the US.

I know it won't matter to Pilot but I just placed my last order for Iroshizuku at Jetpens today. It's nice ink but not worth $28 a bottle.

JustDaveyB
February 25th, 2012, 11:33 PM
+1 for Engeika - I now have 20 iroshizuku ink colours from him.

Bogon07
February 27th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I noticed last week that the PenShoppe in QVB Sydney has Iroshizuku for around $50 a bottle. Some very tempting colours in that range but luckily I've already enough Noodlers.

KrazyIvan
March 5th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I have come to the conclusion that although not the exact same shade, it is very close. Noodler's Midway Blue is the poor man's Iroshizuku Kon-peki. :P Tried it last night and Midway has just a little bit more green but if you are not looking at them side by side, you cannot tell. Flow charactersistics are also very close.