PDA

View Full Version : Any flavored inks?

broadoblique
March 27th, 2014, 10:24 AM
An associate, who I generally try to avoid but is aware that I also use fp's, asked if I knew of any flavored inks. I think I witnessed this person picking his teeth with a nib (no, I don't know the tip size or flex).

Now, I'm not going to pass on any answers from here. I'm not going to discuss pens and their uses with this person. But it just made me curious. Do special ink properties end with scents?

kaisnowbird
March 29th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Do special ink properties end with scents?

I sure hope so, but we know some are highly corrosive, some poisonous. Who knows, some may be borderline flammable.

If people wants flavored ink, just mix some food coloring with artificial flavours and surfactant and give it a go.

Bogon07
March 30th, 2014, 03:55 PM
You could suggest a dip pen with coffee, teas or red wines.

Now you would have a new way to end your letters "Sorry I have to end this letter now as I've drunk the rest of my ink" :)

kaisnowbird
March 31st, 2014, 09:45 AM
Heheheh, that reminded me, i have half a can of 'beetroot water' left in the fridge with one baby beet still floating in it. I should make a nice little reduction out of it with a drop of detergent for extra lubrication. :p

broadoblique
March 31st, 2014, 09:59 AM
That is a great idea! I think I'll dedicate a clear TWSBI 540 (easy to clean) to repurposed ink experiments. A new level of recycling!

broadoblique
March 31st, 2014, 10:05 AM
If anyone else wants to try this I learned a lesson years ago. I tried used motor crankcase oil as a finish on a wood sculpture. The fact that it never dried wasn't so much an issue, it was an out door piece. But when it got warm it smelled awful! I had to coat it in polyurethane.

I'm more careful about potential smells or spoilage now. I wouldn't want my correspondence growing mold, for example.

Bogon07
March 31st, 2014, 03:37 PM
Couldn't be any worse than some inks which never seem to dry or bond on Tomoe River Paper and come off on you hands with the slightest bit of humidity.

Now what was that quote from Apocalypse Now ........ "I love the smell of Noodler's Dragon's Napalm in the morning"

kaisnowbird
March 31st, 2014, 10:10 PM
Couldn't be any worse than some inks which never seem to dry or bond on Tomoe River Paper and come off on you hands with the slightest bit of humidity.

Yep, and it doesn't take Tomoe River. My PR Ebony Green will readily come off any photocopy paper days after written. But i'm a sucker, I often look at my stained fingers and thought "i love this green, so vibrant."

VertOlive
April 1st, 2014, 02:36 PM
"I think I witnessed this person picking his teeth with a nib (no, I don't know the tip size or flex)."

What??!

I now have a visual image of The Joker saying "Ask me how I got my scars"