PDA

View Full Version : Knock-Out Block Overkill

Jeph
March 29th, 2014, 07:06 AM
I was knocking out a nib not too long ago and it looked like I damaged it. I could not actually prove that it was not already like that, but the fact that I thought that I might have damaged it was enough. I had already definitively damaged a few other nibs previously. I was able to correct all of them but that is not the point. I have a retired woodworked friend so I asked him to make me a proper knock-out block. I do not have a drill press, and the price of a large chunk of hardwood in Germany is just shocking. So I asked him the take a chunk of hardwood and drill me some nice, clean vertical holes from 7/32 to 1/2 inch in 1/64 in increments at least 3 inches deep. I was planning to plug the bottom of the holes with cork for protection and get to work.

This is what I got instead. The body is made from maple with a removable cherry bottom. There are felt pads inlaid in the cherry base. I admit that it is silly to have something this nice, but I also admit that I really like it. I was going to leave this part out, but here is a video of my friend Harold explaining my block to me. He is using the fake German accent and broken English for my benefit. I think that the accent sounds more Danish than German, but it is still somewhat humorous and if you know him it is downright hilarious.

Harold's Knock-Out Block Video (http://youtu.be/ogERi86MjnE)

carlos.q
March 29th, 2014, 08:01 AM
The block is great and so is the video. But at the one minute mark he says that the gold stamps fall out of your what??? :shocked:

LunaAzurina
March 29th, 2014, 09:16 AM
That's lovely. I like how he told you a little about the cherry wood he used and it's significance to him. And haha, 'morning wood' - cheeky!

ac12
March 29th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Nothing like overkill.
Now you won't want to use it because you will dent it when you punch out a feed.

Jon Szanto
March 29th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Want! :)