PDA

View Full Version : 146 color question

Ed333
March 30th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Newbie question, in the used marketplace for Montblanc 146 pens, is there a market preference for black over burgundy, all other things being equal, or vice versa, or is it a neutral factor when it comes to pricing?

jar
March 30th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Same price but far fewer burgundy ones were made so then generally sell quickly.

piscov
April 1st, 2014, 04:41 PM
Donīt agree with you Jar. Most burgundies are sold for higher prices, I would say almost 40 to 50% more. Burgundies are no longer produced and are much harder to find. Condition is very important when it comes to price, tough.

tandaina
April 1st, 2014, 04:55 PM
I see the burgundy pens of all varieties going for more than the black.

kaisnowbird
April 2nd, 2014, 07:37 AM
I for one would be willing to pay a bit more for the burgundy, maybe not 40-50%, but easily 25%, especially for a very good condition 146.

mmahany
April 5th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Same price but far fewer burgundy ones were made so then generally sell quickly.

Donīt agree with you Jar. Most burgundies are sold for higher prices, I would say almost 40 to 50% more. Burgundies are no longer produced and are much harder to find. Condition is very important when it comes to price, tough.

Jar's statement wasn't incorrect. If the price were the same, a bordeaux (burgundy) 146 would sell much quicker.

Obviously, that also means that a 146 bordeaux would fetch a higher price.

Essentially, I agree with both your statements.

It has been my general experience that bordeaux versions fetch a 50% premium to black meisterstuck pens.

To use personal examples, I have sold 144,163,164, and 161 bordeaux models roughly 30-50% higher than black versions of the same pen (condition and other factors being equal).