PDA

View Full Version : Which would you purchase? Pilot VP or Pelikan M205?

bec11mort
March 31st, 2014, 09:56 AM
Most of my pen collection right now consists of nice, but relatively inexpensive pens (Lamy Safari/Al-Star, TWSBI Mini, Kaweco Sport/Al Sport, Pilot Prera) and I'm in the market for something a bit nicer (<$150 price point). I prefer smaller pens and love demonstrators, and like a nice smooth wet nib (who doesn't?). I mostly use FPs for note taking (I'm a graduate student). The two pens I'm considering are quite different, and despite doing considerable research I just can't decide. I decided it was time to ask everyone's opinion!

Would you recommend a Pilot Vanishing Point or Pelikan M205?

Right now the Pilot VP is coming out on top since I'm scared to like the Pelikan too much (a Pelikan collection is far outside my current budget), but I hesitate after some disappointment with my Pilot Prera.

Thank you in advance!

Jeph
March 31st, 2014, 10:22 AM
I just ordered a VP yesterday, so I can't give good advice on what to do. I have a handful of M200's that are the same size as the M205. I love my M200's. I ordered the VP becasue a western EF is still just slightly too wide for how I prefer to write for work. I like the VP for the looks, for the easily retractable nib for short spurts of note taking (my normal writing) and the thinner line. I honestly don't much care for the looks of any of the M205's, but my blue and grey marbled M200's look very good. Plus the nice piston, removable nib unit, good size and nice balance. The steel Pelikan nibs are also very good in general. Both offer you the option of buying different sized replacment nibs so that is no help. But I can say that I doubt that you will go wrong between those two choices. And a Prera is not a VP by any means. You might like the Pilot too much as well. I can't say for sure how to pick one over the other. and I suspect that you are going to end up with both anyway. :)

Nomdeplume
March 31st, 2014, 10:51 AM
The Prera and the VP are no where near the same class of pen....but as has been said you can't go wrong with either. Have you tried the VP at a store or from a colleague? I have no problem with the clip placement, but I have heard others who do not like it.
I have several of BOTH, so, you are not immune from the desire of getting more by what you select now!
Resistance is feudal!

dduran
March 31st, 2014, 11:03 AM
Both nice pens but it's a matter of preference. For me? M205 :) (or M215 to be exact, better choice IMO)

Jon Szanto
March 31st, 2014, 11:26 AM
2 thoughts:

1. See if you can try a VP, because that clip issue is for real for many people.

2. Since you mentioned note taking, the Pelikan is worth considering since, as a piston filler, it is going to hold more ink than the VP, and carry you through a lot more writing.

tandaina
March 31st, 2014, 12:24 PM
Pelikan.

You can save huge money by buying just *nibs* for that Pelikan. Many pens in one. I'd take a 205 over a VP any day.

ArnieJB
March 31st, 2014, 01:22 PM
No experience with the Pelikan but the Pilot VP (medium) is the smoothest pen I've ever used. I use a tripod grip is the clip is perfect for me. It comes with an 18kt gold nib and the ability to retract it when you stop using it is perfect for note writing. You don't even need to bother with a converter. The Pilot cartridge holds a decent amount of ink and you can just refill with a syringe. :)

Cookies
March 31st, 2014, 01:28 PM
If you are going to use the pen for note taking you can't do any better than a VP in my opinion. It is not, however, a small pen. I also prefer small pens and have hands on the smaller side, but the VP still works well for me. Of course it may be different for you. If at all possible I would try to find a VP to test as the clip and weight may turn you off. I personally prefer Pilots over Pelikans so of course I would recommend the VP. But Pelikans are well-respected pens and I don't think you would regret the purchase.

Wile E Coyote
March 31st, 2014, 01:30 PM
Pelikan.

You can save huge money by buying just *nibs* for that Pelikan. Many pens in one. I'd take a 205 over a VP any day.

You can buy just nib units for the VP.

kia
March 31st, 2014, 01:49 PM
I've had both pens. My personal preference is the Pilot VP.

tandaina
March 31st, 2014, 01:51 PM
Yeah, but to me they don't seem nearly as easy to swap. Or half the range that Pelikan does. Granted you'd need to act fast for an OBB Pelikan nib, while they are still in stock, but still.

Wile E Coyote
March 31st, 2014, 02:21 PM
Yeah, but to me they don't seem nearly as easy to swap. Or half the range that Pelikan does. Granted you'd need to act fast for an OBB Pelikan nib, while they are still in stock, but still.

I'll give you the range of nibs available without customization. But nothing is easier to swap than a VP nib unit, it's exactly the same procedure that you would use to change cartridges or refill a converter except you put it in a different nib unit.

tiffanyhenschel
March 31st, 2014, 02:32 PM
What is it that you like about your current pens, and what do you not like about them? Evaluating that may help you decide which direction to go next. As others have said, those models are very different from each other. Nothing beats the convenience of the VP retractable nib for note taking, but the Pelikan will hold more ink--definitely a consideration for a student.

Another consideration is your handwriting size. A Pelikan xf is broader than a VP fine. You could get the nib customized however you wanted, but it's something to consider ahead of time.

da vinci
March 31st, 2014, 03:20 PM
I have had and sold my VP. I have my Pelikans still. I'd rather have a Pelikan. The VP was just not my thing - I am a traditonalist I think.

LagNut
March 31st, 2014, 06:29 PM
I have both, but I'd give up my pelikan(200) before the VP. You should make sure the grip/clip is not an issue, but the VP is a one handled pen. Don't need to untwist the cap and post, just click. Capacity is a possible issue, but I note that this is my youngest daughter's favorite, and she's in college as she made this preference known to me.

Also, carrying cartridges is what the other girl still in school does. I think but do not know if this is her favorite.

kallenpj
March 31st, 2014, 06:52 PM
I have both and I prefer the Edison Beaumont. :-)
The VP is a gold nib. The Pelikan is steel if that concerns you.
The Beaumont is in the same price-point and I just prefer it to either of them.

kaisnowbird
March 31st, 2014, 07:04 PM
Both pens have admirable virtues. But all is said and done, I can count my VP as one of my all time favourites, can't say the same about a steel nib Pelikan (an M6XX would be a different story).

Although the prices are comparable, I consider the VP a class above the M205, which is IMHO marginally better than a TWSBI 580.

Since you like demonstrators, have you considered Pilot Custom Heritage 92? You'll get Pilot's excellent gold nib with a piston fill demonstrator, with sleek design and 4 different colours, at the same price range! If you haven't, check out Dan's video review on FPG (http://fpgeeks.com/2013/08/video-pilot-custom-heritage-92-fountain-pen-review/).

trhall
March 31st, 2014, 07:11 PM
Are you going to carry multiple pens for note taking? If so, then the VP capacity may not be an issue. Both are excellent but they are quite different.

For me, I use a TWSBI now at work instead of my VP. Why? I can leave it uncapped and sitting on the table, as the facets prevent rolling. That's why I use it over the Pelikan at work.

For no fuss, I would go Pelikan. The clip placement, lower capacity, and weight of the VP could be negatives for you. If you have a Paradise Pen or some other pen store, I would try out the VP first.

79spitfire
March 31st, 2014, 08:04 PM
Be honest with yourself, you'll by both sooner or later!

They are both great pens, but completely different. Well, they both write great!

The VP has smaller than the M200's ink capacity

The VP is metal, the M200 plastic

The Pilot nib is gold, the M200 nib is plated stainless

The Pilot is cartridge/converter, the M200 is Piston filled

The Pilot is clicky, the cap on the M200 unscrews...

On one other thing, you can order them both from Richard Binder!

Newjelan
April 2nd, 2014, 02:24 AM
I have both and am a laterconvert to the VP. I only bought one to see what all the hype was about. I like my Pelikan M205 in Taupe and it led me to buy a black one with an italic nib and a Brown Tortoise M800. I really like all these pens.

I didn't like the look of the VP (I hate the look of hooded nibs), and as a leftie I was concerned about the clip. Ultimately curiosity got the better of me and I bought one with a M nib. Two months later, I never leave home without it. It's great for meetings, I love the click mechanism for its convenience and as for the nib - it's a complete delight. I am a total convert to this pen and Pilot in general.

Sandy Fry
April 2nd, 2014, 07:44 PM
I would buy the M205 but only because I don't have one...yet!

My matte black VP w/broad nib goes everywhere I go.

David

snedwos
April 2nd, 2014, 09:43 PM
I would go with the VP. I don't actually like the M200/205, they just seem plasticky and cheap to me. The M215 is a different story, but mine has been a bit of a disappointment (even the replacement nib skips a little bit, and the original was almost unusable -- I suspect babys bottom). One of the shiny new metal VPs has a high chance of being my next pen.

snedwos
April 2nd, 2014, 09:47 PM
I've never seen steel obliques from Pelikan...

Runnin_Ute
April 2nd, 2014, 10:16 PM
No experience with the VP - but have not just one but THREE Pelikan's. A 120 Merz & Krell EF, a M150 M and a M205 M.

Of the Pelikan's my favorite is the 120 surprisingly enough. The M150 is slightly shorter than the M205, so I like the M205 slightly better. All three have great nibs - especially that 120....

The only other pen that gets used anywhere close to as much as the Pelikan's? My Parker 45 Flighter.

KrazyIvan
April 5th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I have both and I use the Pelikan much more than the VP.

cjr29
April 6th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I have a VP with three nib units (M, F, and Binderized F). I use if every day for note taking at work. This is my daily carry pen. I find that the Binder F nib unit is really smooth and wet. The factory F nib unit is a rather dry writer. The VP always starts up when I click it.

I also have three Pelikans (M150 w/M, M200 w/Binderized XF, and a M400 w/14k M). The Pelikans are fantastic for longer writing sessions, and the piston fill holds a ton of ink compared to the VP. However, I don't like to use them for note-taking because of the screw-on cap. Takes too long to unscrew and write and then cover it up again. The VP is a click away and a click shut.

I love all of them. Depends on what you want. They all have been adjusted to write nice and smooth.

I have found that the only one that seems to be able to write on my Moleskine journal without bleeding through is the M200 XF using Noodler's Black. The VP with Binderized F nib has just a bit of bleed-through using Noodler's Kung Te cheng.

Runnin_Ute
April 7th, 2014, 09:35 PM
I have a M205 (Toledo Red) but haven't tried the VP.

I actually like my Pelikan 120 Merz & Krell better the M205 - and it is a EF vs. a M nib.......

My M150 is very nice as well.

GHCToolman
April 7th, 2014, 10:01 PM
I have a VP and an M200. I enjoy writing with both and think they are both great pens. But I give a slight edge to the Pelikan due to the larger ink capacity, the piston fill, and the VPs clip location.

jackwebb
April 7th, 2014, 10:28 PM
I have an M600 and I am so impressed I think an M200/205 is in the cards for the future.

Jolltax
April 10th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I have a black M205 and it is a nice and reliable writer, very smooth. I do like it but I would agree that for the price it is very plasticky and not very 'special'. My feeling is that a TWSBI would be a better all round bet than an M205 but have no experience at all of the Pilot VP.

J

Jeph
April 11th, 2014, 04:44 AM
I have now had a few days to play with my VP and I have more to add. I absolutely love the looks of the VP. The clip was in the way until I noticed while holding another pen that really it was not and it was all in my head. Now I use the clip as a guide to keep the nib oriented properly and as a rest for the side of my finger. The balance is great. It is heavier than an M200/205/215 but not really by much at all. And I notice that there is even a little door in the nose of the section that closes behind the nib to keep it from drying out. All of that should make the VP a slam dunk. But it is not. I have discovered a design flaw in the VP. The nib unit is capable of being rotated, albeit only slightly, within the housing. The can interfere with your contact angle. The good news is that it does not appear to move easily but it can move. What is more important is that the nib unit is free to translate side to side during writing. My EF was putting down a beautifully wet .36mm line but the feedback was horrible and there was definite tooth. I carefully inspected the nib under 10X magnification and found everything looked perfect. I tried again at 30x and it was still perfect. It was not until I was in the act of smoothing the nib that I discovered the rotation and translation issues. If you write slowly with zero pressure it is not an issue. My memory of college note taking was a furious, frantic storm of spewing ink onto the page desperately trying to keep up. This is exactly the type of writing where the translating nib will start to fight you. I love the size of the line, but I have been too spoiled by superb nibs to be able to cope with way the nib reacts under duress. The wider nibs are probably less susceptible to the translation issue. The EF is now wonderfully smooth, as long as I slow down some and write carefully.

So, now my suggestion if you want a nice, smooth fine line in that sized pen is to try the Pilot Prera. It is slightly shorter posted than the M200/205/215 but similar weight. It also has a secure snap-on cap and the nice (and fixed) Pilot steel nib. My F writes a perfect .4mm line and does not complain at abusive writing. You can get them in solid colors as well as the clears at places like jetpens. Plus, the cost is 1/2 to 1/3 of either the M200 or VP.

Edit: Added quick picture of the 3

LagNut
April 12th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I'm going to check again but there's absolutely no rotation or translation in my VP. When the nib goes in, it fits in a slot and is trapped longitudinally. If you take the nib out, can you wiggle the tip wrt the back part? None of mine do. That would drive me nuts!

LagNut
April 12th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I like F nibs, also, so it's not that I wouldn't notice it with the VP. I may write with a very light hand, but at least one of my daughters does not.

Prera is not a bad choice either, but I'd take a VP any day.

Cookies
April 12th, 2014, 01:29 PM
I agree with the Prera suggestion (though I don't have that problem with my VP). They're wonderful writers. Even better is that if you were to misplace or have your pen stolen, not unreasonable to think on a college campus, the Prera won't be as big a shock to your wallet as the other two.

Jeph
April 12th, 2014, 01:35 PM
I'm going to check again but there's absolutely no rotation or translation in my VP. When the nib goes in, it fits in a slot and is trapped longitudinally. If you take the nib out, can you wiggle the tip wrt the back part? None of mine do. That would drive me nuts!

That makes me wonder. I will start another thread to pursue the truth and not derail this one further.

Edit: That thread is here (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/6636-Help-me-with-Pilot-VP-Issues?p=75169#post75169).

kataish
April 28th, 2014, 12:12 AM
Both nice pens but it's a matter of preference. For me? M205 :) (or M215 to be exact, better choice IMO)

YES THIS IS WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY (though I know I am late. New member playing catch up). My M215 was my first Pelikan (I now also now have a white tortoise M400 as well). Its the black one with the Rhodium rings on the body. Metal body. BEAUTIFUL nib (though stainless, but it feels just as good as my gold nibs). Its my most reliable writer. Swoon!

Edit: I also have a Prera (but no VP to compare it to), I don't LOVE it. Its a nice enough pen, but my Pelikan is MUCH NICER. I think the clip on a VP would bug me. I'll get one eventually at some point just to have one (of course), but its not on my list of "OMG I MUST HAVE IT NOW" pens.