PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan nibs in Vac 700

Hanryy
May 27th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Hello all! First time poster here, but I thought this might be a good place to try and find the answer to a question I have had on my mind for a while...

I remember there was quite a bit of buzz around the fact that Pelikan nibs fit quite nicely into TWSBI 530s, but now that the Vac 700 is out I have to wonder if the larger Pelikan nibs (such as M800 or M1000) might fit those. If anyone has tried this I would love to hear about it.

Cheers,

~Hanz

dannzeman
May 29th, 2012, 05:43 PM
If the replacement nib is the same size then you should be pretty good to go. Some adjustment of the feed may be necessary, but that's to be expected as far as I'm concerned.

Where's Eric? He swapped out his TWSBI nib for a Visconti 23k stub!

rroossinck
May 30th, 2012, 05:37 AM
I think, but I'm not sure, that an M800-sized nib is fairly close to a #6, so in theory this would work. The main issue (in my mind, anyway) would be the process of getting the nib out of Pelikan's collar. I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I've never attempted it. I seem to remember hearing that there's a special tool that's used for this, but I'm not sure what it is or where you'd get one. Given the price of a replacement M800 nib, I'd be pretty careful when removing it.

If you try it, let us know how it works!

Hanryy
May 30th, 2012, 10:29 AM
If the replacement nib is the same size then you should be pretty good to go. Some adjustment of the feed may be necessary, but that's to be expected as far as I'm concerned.

Where's Eric? He swapped out his TWSBI nib for a Visconti 23k stub!

0_o that sounds enticing.

@rroossinck yeah it would be quite an expensive operation if things don't go smoothly... If I do come across a spare M800 nib I will let everyone know how the transplant goes.

KrazyIvan
May 30th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I would say contact Pendleton Brown. He has done the Angel Wing TWSBI nib mod and may be able to tell you if the Pelikan is workable with the Vac 700. Richard Binder may also have some insight on it.

GemMayhem
May 31st, 2012, 08:45 PM
I would love to know if anyone manages the transplant successfully. Do please share your experience. :)

pleeho
June 6th, 2012, 08:46 PM
waiting for updates. Somebody, anybody.