PDA

View Full Version : A Wounded Refugee

Apprenti
April 1st, 2014, 12:11 AM
Hi everyone,

I guess you could call me a refugee from the 'other' forum. I got told off because apparently my thread asking where I could source certain parts was 'asking for freebies' and there were several other incidents that I shall not mention. I wanted to enjoy that forum, but I just couldn't when I was 'under observation' the whole time, so I decided to join up here because I hear it's a much nicer atmosphere.

Thank you for having me, and I look forward to being able to contribute to this site.
Joe

Jeph
April 1st, 2014, 12:26 AM
:welcome:

Jon Szanto
April 1st, 2014, 12:41 AM
Hey Joe,

Sorry it was a bad situation for you, and I certainly hope your experience here is better. Welcome to the Fountain Pen Geeks forums! Smaller than the largest pen fora, larger than some, you'll find a comfortable community of pen-centric people here, with a growing body of posts, reviews, and group knowledge. Mostly, you'll find people who are enthusiastic about fountain pens, and fountain pen people.

Join in!

:bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce: :welcome: :bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce:

Regards,
Jon

Apprenti
April 1st, 2014, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys, I hope I have the opportunity to contribute here as much as I can :)
Joe

migo984
April 1st, 2014, 02:08 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Joe. I'm sure, in fact I know, that the vast majority of people on FPN are not judgemental and are very generous and kind. And to be fair and balanced, you must admit that you have been the beneficiary of some very generous gifts from people on FPN, as you often post about them.

It is a very difficult balance to strike isn't it, when posting about things you need or want, and then going on to set out your financial constraints. I don't think people like to be told about how hard up others are all the time. You do have to tread carefully as it is very easy on social media, to give the completely wrong impression. I have myself done a quick double-take when reading one or two of your posts. And I can see how your recent post could be easily misconstrued. I know it's unintentional; it's just that sometimes they can be misinterpreted at first read. There's a lesson to be learnt here about people's sensitivities. We all need to think twice about how we phrase things and how easy it is for things to be misunderstood. There's often fault on both sides.

I hope you find your way back to FPN at some time in the future.

tiffanyhenschel
April 1st, 2014, 05:14 AM
Everyone who posts here is a valued contributor. Welcome!

writingrav
April 1st, 2014, 06:55 AM
Welcome to our flavor of madness. Indulge!

85AKbN
April 1st, 2014, 07:05 AM

Apprenti
April 1st, 2014, 08:19 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Joe. I'm sure, in fact I know, that the vast majority of people on FPN are not judgemental and are very generous and kind. And to be fair and balanced, you must admit that you have been the beneficiary of some very generous gifts from people on FPN, as you often post about them.

It is a very difficult balance to strike isn't it, when posting about things you need or want, and then going on to set out your financial constraints. I don't think people like to be told about how hard up others are all the time. You do have to tread carefully as it is very easy on social media, to give the completely wrong impression. I have myself done a quick double-take when reading one or two of your posts. And I can see how your recent post could be easily misconstrued. I know it's unintentional; it's just that sometimes they can be misinterpreted at first read. There's a lesson to be learnt here about people's sensitivities. We all need to think twice about how we phrase things and how easy it is for things to be misunderstood. There's often fault on both sides.

I hope you find your way back to FPN at some time in the future.

You're completely right, which is why I'm using this as an opportunity to start again with a different attitude towards how I present myself over the internet. The thing is, I tried to do that over on FPN, but apparently I didn't try hard enough. I'll probably return there at the end of my suspension, but I won't be the frequent poster that I was there. That said, I hope I can be a frequent poster here, and a valuable addition to the site :)

Thanks everyone,
Joe

cwent2
April 1st, 2014, 08:46 AM

kia
April 1st, 2014, 11:20 AM
Joe, welcome to FPGeeks!

I have been chastised in the past by others, as well.

FPN is a huge site that has lost sight of its individuals' contributions (not speaking monetary). Folks can be very oversensitive in what they see and perceive, especially in such a diverse atmosphere. They, and FPGeeks, are a worldwide community, and everyone has different customs and languages and tones and sensitivities. It is sometimes difficult to be one together, when our "outside" counterparts are so divided. However, FPGeeks has a good foothold so far, and I've really enjoying being here, even though I do frequent FPN, as well.

I'm very happy to see you here at FPGeeks. All refugees are welcome.

inlovewithjournals
April 1st, 2014, 11:43 AM
You're completely right, which is why I'm using this as an opportunity to start again with a different attitude towards how I present myself over the internet. The thing is, I tried to do that over on FPN, but apparently I didn't try hard enough. I'll probably return there at the end of my suspension, but I won't be the frequent poster that I was there. That said, I hope I can be a frequent poster here, and a valuable addition to the site :)

Thanks everyone,
Joe

:welcome: - Joe - you already are a valuable addition to this site. :)

VertOlive
April 1st, 2014, 02:21 PM
Welcome Joe, another winner on board the Geek Bus!

spotted and speckled
April 1st, 2014, 07:27 PM
Welcome!

And be sure to post your "where can I get..." questions again.

TerraNoir
April 1st, 2014, 08:10 PM

Mags
April 2nd, 2014, 05:27 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Greg Minuskin
April 2nd, 2014, 06:31 PM
Welcome!

​You will find the folks here at the FPG very friendly! This "IS" the place to grow and to know about fountain pens!

If there is something I can do for you, please let me know!

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com