PDA

View Full Version : Last find - Pelikan 400N in box

piscov
April 1st, 2014, 01:33 PM
This is my latest find, just got it today. A great MINT 1956 Pelikan 400N Tortoise.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/My%20pens/Pelikan%20400N/b8461cf3-5d77-43e9-a9a1-b1a9259d3094_zpsc76241e2.jpg

I bought it inside this Pelikan box and with the warranty and instruction in Portuguese!

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/My%20pens/Pelikan%20400N/IMG_1036_zpscda914d4.jpg

The box is really interesting; exterior paper looking like snake skin, interior lining in a silky fabric with the Pelikan logo and that locking pin mechanism in metal . This box puts some doubts in my mind as to its production period . I have seen similar boxes, but in earlier pens and mostly in Toledos or other more luxurious versions of the 100 or 100N, never seen this in a 400.

I think the box is not from the same period as the pen ( 1956) to the pen but from the early 40ķes. Can anyone confirm If am correct in this statement?

Best

Vasco

Jeph
April 2nd, 2014, 12:25 AM
I have no idea, but am I allowed to hate you yet? :)
I like how the colors on every tortise are just a little different.
I have seen similar pen boxes, but not with Pelikan innards. And the inside is in great shape, and for the age the outside just shows a little character.
As always, I am interested to see what you learn on this.

Pelikan-Vera
April 2nd, 2014, 12:36 AM
Piscov it is time for all of us to visit Portugal :) Nice find . Vera

Toulouse
April 2nd, 2014, 04:38 AM
What a beautiful pen!
Great find.

piscov
April 2nd, 2014, 04:51 AM
Thank you all!

Piscov it is time for all of us to visit Portugal :) Nice find . Vera

That is a pretty good idea!! Portugal is a lovely country to visit and with some luck you can find great pens, especially Pelikans. :) If any of you are ever here in Lisbon, just let me know, I would love to show you the city and the flea-markets around here!

I have no idea, but am I allowed to hate you yet? :)
I like how the colors on every tortise are just a little different.
I have seen similar pen boxes, but not with Pelikan innards. And the inside is in great shape, and for the age the outside just shows a little character.
As always, I am interested to see what you learn on this.

LOL!! Don“t hate me please, I am just persistent in pen hunting and have luck sometimes! :)

The colors on this one are really vivid and awesome! Thanks Jeph

Best Vasco

Ernst Bitterman
April 3rd, 2014, 02:31 PM
I'm green, GREEN, with envy, but I won't hate.

I have the big book about branding Pelikan published last year, and while they didn't do a lot of amendment to the look of logo from c. 1936 to the 1960s, I'd say that the imprint is certainly suggestive of the right era. Also, the box is consistent with the sort of thing I'd expect to see on post-war pens in general (I've got something about as grand around an early production Waterman C/F), so if it's not exactly right, it's close enough that I'd say keep 'em together.

Hawk
May 8th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Beautiful pen.

nvbrennan
May 10th, 2014, 04:16 AM
That's a great find. Does anyone know what the relative scarceness of the N iteration is in comparison with NN. I know they are scarcer but not sure by how much.

piscov
May 11th, 2014, 03:38 AM
That's a great find. Does anyone know what the relative scarceness of the N iteration is in comparison with NN. I know they are scarcer but not sure by how much.

For each Pelikan 400N I found on sale there are hundreds Pelikan 400NN for sale. I cannot point a ball park number but they are much rarer. I was only able to acquire 3 Pelikan 400N in the last 5 years, and I bought all the 400N I“ve seen for sale at affordable prices.

The production run was very short, under 1 year and on top of that it looks like the sales where not good and people were more into the new streamlined models and the 400N was considered to be very similar to the "old" 400