PDA

View Full Version : Help ID & Authenticate This MB Please!

SweetAvarie
April 2nd, 2014, 02:27 PM
Hey guys, I had the weirdest experience with Mont Blanc Customer Service and just wanted to share.

So I sent the actual pen To Montblanc's "Richemont Technical Center"(Mont Blanc NA 15100 Trinity Boulevard, Suite 300 Fort Worth, Texas 76155)

as instructed by MB customer service to have them authenticate it. The letter they sent back along with the pen reads: "We have examined the item you sent to us recently. We regret to inform you that this item is not a genuine Montblanc product and therefore we are not in a position to service it. We are returning yout item in the same condition in which it was received. We view infringement of our intellectual property right very seriously and we may depending on circumstaces, elect to proceed against the seller and manufacturer of the counterfeit Montblanc item...."

To be completely honest to the best of my knowledge I thought it was authentic, everything from the packaging to the booklet felt looked fine but decided to send it out just in case because I don't like that "feeling" of not knowing for sure.

HERE'S WHERE IT GETS WEIRD THOUGH ....

There was another letter page behind that letter that describes the pen and under description it says: "Authentic FP Classic Bord M18k"

So I call customer service to clear up the confusion.....

and on their end it says it's authentic etc., so I told them about the letter I got. They emailed the Servicing Center that authenticated my pen to confirm with them. They got a response saying it was authentic and they sent out the wrong letter. (I'm wondering how they remember servicing my pen, and how they know for sure it's authentic if the pen isn't right in front of them to examine it again... are they just going off the notes on the computer??)

I received another letter....

This time the letter states it is authentic but dated from last year and I just sent it in this year (did they mix my pen up with someone else with the same pen on their computer?? or was it a typo??)

What do you guys think??? Are the confusing my pen for another?

My main concern is my nib says 14k on it, but on the letter / description section it states "Authentic FP Classic Bord M18k" .... <-- I'm assuming 18k nib???10621106291062810627106261062510624106231062 210630

SweetAvarie
April 2nd, 2014, 02:33 PM
Here are additional photos. Thanks for any help it advance! I'd greatly appreciate it! 106311063210633106341063510636106371063810639

tandaina
April 2nd, 2014, 02:40 PM
I could be wrong, my Montblancs are all from the 40s and 50s. But I don't think the box and pen go together. The pen looks too old for the box it is in? I would expect that pen to date from before the 90s, but box looks like the current boxes maybe that contributed to the confusion? Again, take that with a grain of salt this is NOT my Montblanc area.

piscov
April 2nd, 2014, 03:13 PM
That pen is a Montblanc Generation Classic and started production during the late 80'ies ,not sure when it ended . I am almost certain yours is a genuine Montblanc. It can have 14 Kt or 18Kt nibs depending on the country it was sold. Your box looks to be from France so the nib should be 18Kt gold.

piscov
April 2nd, 2014, 03:16 PM
The box is correct for that pen. 13100C is the MB code for the Generation Classic.

Paul-H
April 2nd, 2014, 03:21 PM
Hi

The pen looks real to me as well, don't know if its the correct box but that looks real as well but may not be the correct one for the pen .

Paul

tandaina
April 2nd, 2014, 03:28 PM
Box is dated 1995 so if it matches the pen then the pen must be newer than 95.

jar
April 2nd, 2014, 03:39 PM
Pen and box both look real but it's unlikely either is original. Boxes can be bought just as pens can be bought.

HermetiC
April 3rd, 2014, 04:12 AM
The pen and box looks real to me.

SweetAvarie
April 3rd, 2014, 06:59 PM
Hi Tandaina,

Thanks for your response! I also posted this on the fountain pen network and learned that the classic style ceased in 2002 so I'm not quite sure to be completely honest with you.

SweetAvarie
April 3rd, 2014, 07:02 PM
Hi Piscov,

Thank you for your response! Wow, I never knew the nibs vary depending on country etc! Thanks for that info, always interesting to learn something new! :) I looked at the box and it says Made in Germany, but my nib says 14k.. does that add up to you??

SweetAvarie
April 3rd, 2014, 07:05 PM
Wow you are really good! Again, thanks piscov! On the second page it did list "13100 C" etc. on the description which is also what the box says so I believe you are correct. (I didn't send the box in so they didn't see that but that's also what they put down) :D

SweetAvarie
April 3rd, 2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks for responding Paul! I really appreciate it! :)

Paul-H
April 3rd, 2014, 11:32 PM
Yes that add's up ok, the pen is made in Germany, if for example it was made to be sold in the Uk it could have a 14k nib but if it was sold in France it would have to have an 18k nib as the French don't class 14k as gold, where it was made and where it was made to be sold are two very different things.

Paul

Sailor Kenshin
April 4th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Interesting. I have a Generation, in black, and I can't find a lot of info on this model, years made, etc.