PDA

View Full Version : A hooded Crow

farmdogfan
April 2nd, 2014, 04:13 PM
In snow.

Robert
April 2nd, 2014, 04:27 PM
Very nice, farmdogfan. May I ask what camera/lens you used and the settings?

VertOlive
April 2nd, 2014, 07:07 PM
For a minute there I thought these had appeared on our shores, then I looked at your location!

Great photo--I have never seen one in real life--thank you!

Jeph
April 3rd, 2014, 12:57 AM
The detail in the feathers is amazing. And he's watching you!

farmdogfan
April 3rd, 2014, 01:34 AM
Thank you all.
Robert, it is a canon 1dmkIV with a 300 2,8 L is usm lens and usually i got a 1,4 TC on it.
VertOlive, i thought that crows lived everywhere.
Jeph, he knows me as he and his wife live close nearby.

Jeph
April 3rd, 2014, 01:56 AM
To my knowledge there are not any grey crows in the US. I saw my first one in Egypt and got all excited. Then I realized that they were common here.

farmdogfan
April 3rd, 2014, 02:14 AM
To my knowledge there are not any grey crows in the US. I saw my first one in Egypt and got all excited. Then I realized that they were common here.

I looked it up, and you are right, i must say that iīm surprised, i thought that crows were to be found allmost everywhere, well lesson learned.

Jeph
April 3rd, 2014, 02:28 AM
The US has hordes and hordes of crows. Ours are just black. We don't have any grey crows.

farmdogfan
April 3rd, 2014, 02:37 AM
We have also got black crows here but they are not as common as the hooded (grey/black) crows.

VertOlive
April 3rd, 2014, 12:01 PM
Well, crows are common here, but only the completely black ones. I have seen one black crow with a small amount of white on each of her shoulders. [I'm sort of a fan of crows...]

farmdogfan
April 3rd, 2014, 12:31 PM
I also like crows, i actually have a picture of an all white one.
It is called a "ino" variation.

VertOlive
April 3rd, 2014, 06:37 PM
Wow, another first for me.

"Ino" as in albino?

Eyes are black?

Was this taken in the spring--those tailfeathers!

Thanks again!

Bogon07
April 3rd, 2014, 06:41 PM
And a white beak !
Does it have white feet & legs as well ?

Jeph
April 4th, 2014, 12:23 AM
OK, I have never even heard of a white crow! Until now. I would say albino also except for the black eyes. Or maybe they just look black. Or crows pigment differently. I don't know. What I DO know is that it is a super cool picture.

farmdogfan
April 4th, 2014, 01:44 AM
Thanks to you all.
At first i thought that it was an albino, but someone who knows a lot about these matters said that it was an "ino" (i had never heard that word before) because the eyes were dark red and there were also some other things that indicated that it wasīnt a albino.

VertOlive
April 4th, 2014, 02:26 PM
What time of year did you take the photo?

farmdogfan
April 4th, 2014, 03:19 PM
The white crow was taken 10. ‎april ‎2012, ‏‎16:45:36.
And the other one was taken 19. ‎december ‎2010, ‏‎16:19:21.

Sailor Kenshin
April 19th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Well, crows are common here, but only the completely black ones. I have seen one black crow with a small amount of white on each of her shoulders. [I'm sort of a fan of crows...]

I saw one not too long ago that had white primaries.

farmdogfan
April 21st, 2014, 09:28 AM

I saw one not too long ago that had white primaries.
I have seen that a couple of times, i believe that itīs some pigmentation disorder.