PDA

View Full Version : Asking advice -1970's Pilot converter, found a pen pic to help

sharmon202
April 4th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Anyone know if there is a converter I can use for this pen? (Besides using an empty cartridge).
thanks

Lady Onogaro
April 4th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Have you tried a Pilot Con-20 in it? I have an NOS Pilot Crystal, and it works in it and another NOS Pilot pen from the 1970s.

Silverbreeze
April 4th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I agree with Lady O would sugguest using a syringe to fill the con20 though

cwent2
April 4th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Anyone know if there is a converter I can use for this pen? (Besides using an empty cartridge).
thanks

I think your pen is resting on the answer to your question

www.peytonstreetpens.com

sharmon202
April 7th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks, you were right, it was.

cwent2
April 7th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Lol, didn't mean to be a smart butt - however I listed her web site on an earlier post and then you post a photo of the type of pen you have on one of her stands.

How ironic is that!

Peace!

sharmon202
April 7th, 2014, 04:42 PM
I did not take your post in anyway but helpful. Ironic maybe, good timing for sure. Thanks for the help, I need all I can get.

sharmon202
April 10th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Still need help. Con 20 does not fit at all. The converter diameter is equal to the pen diameter where it would go in. There does not seem to be a pin on which a cartridge would go. Pilot nor Intl cartridges will work. What now? I will try to get a pic of the inside of the pen and post it. Not sure I have the equip or expertise to do so. Peyton Pens has been contacted, no help yet. Thanks,

AltecGreen
April 11th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Still need help. Con 20 does not fit at all. The converter diameter is equal to the pen diameter where it would go in. There does not seem to be a pin on which a cartridge would go. Pilot nor Intl cartridges will work. What now? I will try to get a pic of the inside of the pen and post it. Not sure I have the equip or expertise to do so. Peyton Pens has been contacted, no help yet. Thanks,

The Con-20 should work if it is a 70's pen.

Pilot has two main cartridge/converter designs. The double spare/Con-W was used in the early1960's until Platinum came up with their long cartridge which made the Pilot system seem kinda of lame. Pilot switched to the current design in the mid 1960's.

I doubt the Con-W would work because the main difference is in the mouth diameter of the feed nipple. The exterior dimensions are pretty similar to a Con-20.

Bear in mind that the Pilot converters and cartridges often need a bit of force to get them engaged. Now, if the OD of the barrel is really the same as the OD of the Con-20 then we have a bit of a mystery. I would really need to see a picture of the pen open and side by side with a converter and cartridge to judge.

There is a chance the pen was made in Korea or Southeast Asia and had a weird cartridge.

sharmon202
April 12th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Peyton St Pens was very helpful. After several emails I found that the plastic piece was meant to be taken out, not sure why it was there, did not know that's what it was. Then when I put the Con-20 in, it seemed too long. Problem was, as you said, a spring in it and you have to push kind of hard to get it to be able to screw on the barrel. I am not one for forcing things so I didn't until Peytons said to. I am still a bit new to all this. Bottom line though, it writes so nice and smooth it was well worth the trouble (& learning's). Love, love, love this pen now. Thanks everyone for your help.