PDA

View Full Version : The Return of the Written Thank You Note

writingrav
April 5th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Thought some of us might enjoy this articles
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/fashion/the-found-art-of-thank-you-notes.html?rref=homepage&module=Ribbon&version=origin&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Home%20Page&pgtype=article

da vinci
April 5th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Interesting article, thanks.

Dreck
April 5th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Very cool. I'll have to show this to my kids--who hate writing 'bread and butter' letters as much as my siblings & I did when we were growing up.

I thought my son & daughter would be more enthusiastic if they had their own stationery and did not have to use the generic, family paper & envelopes. I was wrong.

kia
April 5th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Really interesting article, and it was also interesting to note the mention of fountain pens and who they were used by.

Now, the article was about the hand written thank you. In order to send a hand written thank you, you need an address. I know the NY Times has its own building in aptly named Times Square, but it took a bit too long to find the actual street address! ;)

kaisnowbird
April 6th, 2014, 07:27 AM
I was particularly impressed by the mentioning of a custom ink ordered from iroshizuku, and just a touch skeptical about that fact.

VertOlive
April 6th, 2014, 08:31 PM
I just got 'round to read this. Thinking of all the "Thank You, Grandmother" notes my mother oversaw at the kitchen table.....she was "Lace Curtain Irish" and insisted on protocol.

inlovewithjournals
April 7th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Wonderful article, thank you. I just wrote a thank you note this morning, to a local hotel who hosted a group of us for Afternoon Tea last weekend.

mtnbiker62
April 7th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I've been trying to do more of this lately. The response that I've gotten from people has been rewarding, but sad in a way. I'm amazed at how many people have said that they had never received a thank-you note before. It's definitely motivated me to keep going!

TerraNoir
April 7th, 2014, 08:44 AM
A very awesome article indeed. Its great to see that fountain pens are getting a bit of lime light as well!

caribbean_skye
April 7th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Guess I was brouht up the old fashioned way. After I have visited (stayed) with someone for the frst time I always send thank you notes. Subsequent trips they are given a small token or some such. It helps that I like cards too, whether they are store bought or made by me. Penpals get bday cards if I know their bdays. :)

Bogon07
April 7th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Thanks Writingrav,

The personal and professional thank-you notes Cristiano Magni, a New York fashion publicist, sends routinely are written on weighty ecru Connor correspondence cards adorned with a rhinoceros embossed in gold. “It is so important, in a digital world, to have the dignity to sit down and write something in your own hand,” Mr. Magni said one recent afternoon in a garment district showroom, where a collection of thank-you notes sent by editors and stylists was spread across his desk.

Something to bear in mind for next year's Ink-a-Rhino.

Dreck
April 7th, 2014, 09:51 PM
rhinoceros embossed in gold

UGH! Larger, more aggressive, well-armed, and more frightening cows. *shudder*

jackwebb
April 7th, 2014, 10:31 PM

Hahaha "more frightening cows"

Dreck
April 8th, 2014, 11:07 AM

Cows are scary. Nothing that stupid should be so large it could crush you.

Bogon07
April 8th, 2014, 06:10 PM

But are they really that stupid ?

They don't pay taxes, do jury duty or go to work.

Dreck
April 8th, 2014, 06:33 PM

But are they really that stupid ?

They don't pay taxes, do jury duty or go to work.

Perhaps you make some valid points, but I have found them to be lacking in situational awareness & easily startled.
Besides, I *like* jury duty. It is a great civic duty, & a good way to influence the nullification of bad laws.

Cake
April 13th, 2014, 10:13 AM
This was a great find, thank you for posting this. I like to send handwritten Thank You notes to members of my staff in an effort to recognize something positive they did. I also send them to my professors for assisting me with my grad work.