PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Hobonichin stencils (besides their store)?

Plume145
April 6th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Hobonichi make these neat little stencils for use in their lovely planners. The planner won't work for me sadly (size compatibility problems, boo) but I'd get lots of use out of the stencil. At ¥370/$3.60, it's not too dear for how many things it lets you do with a blank sheet of paper!

The problem is that there's a handling charge of ¥500, plus mandatory trackable shipping (EMS), which all adds up to a somewhat sticker-shocky ¥2343 (that's $22.70, or about six times the price of the stencil). Gulp.

But I'm having a hard time letting it go because I just love that stencil! Can you think of any alternatives to the Hobonichi store please?

I hope this is the right forum for this question; I figured paraphernalia fit better for the type of item but I thought the question was mostly about location and decided to use the geographical forum instead. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry; feel free to notify the mods so it can be moved :)

Thanks in advance!

Edit: to fix a typo right in the title. Good one, that.

tandaina
April 6th, 2014, 08:49 PM
The simplest would be if one of the members here lived near the store and would be willing to pick up the stencil and ship it slow boat to you? Seems the most economical option, if we've got anyone in the area.

Or! It occurs to me if enough folks wanted stuff from them a group order might be in order? Their planner certainly looks interesting, adore the idea of it being on Tamoe river paper. But dang it I already have a Midori even if I can't find a planning insert that works for me. So. Dang it!

Plume145
April 7th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Yup, a group order situation is what I thought of first, but the other solution would be just amazing too! Any ideas on how I can make that happen?

I think you should get the planner though! You can just use the midori with other inserts :)

tandaina
April 7th, 2014, 02:42 PM
They talk about the planner being in multiple sizes... But I only see one size online, can't see a way to chose a size, I'd like the larger size, but might try the small.

Plume145
April 7th, 2014, 03:12 PM
I think the English-language planner comes in just the one size, but the Japanese ones come in three sizes. But it sounds like it's not impossible to use the Japanese version even if you don't read japanese...I mean you won't understand the quotes at the bottom and some of the reference material, but it looks like the planner pages are still useable. AFAIK people who don't read Japanese do use these.

I hope you find it! It looks really really nice, I'm staring at it with some longing haha, it's just I'm really not good with fixed-binding for planning/listmaking :-/

KrazyIvan
April 7th, 2014, 03:59 PM
I just bought the templates. but I also got a planner cover making the shipping just a little more bang for the buck. Still expensive. I do like the templates. They are not going to be fountain pen frindly though. They are mode more for a .5 mm mech pencil or Hi Tec C type pen.

Plume145
April 7th, 2014, 04:54 PM
oooh, did you get that lovely activity template too, the one with the weather symbols and stuff? I wanted to get that too but it's sold out now :-/ Initially I wanted that plus the one with the check boxes etc, they look like the most useful for practical applications - the travel one is more geared for Japan, and the speech bubbles are fun but mostly decorative. I really hope I can figure out a way, soon if possible because they seem to be selling out!

And yeah, these are probably not FP friendly, unless you use a steel nib on some little crummy pen you don't care much about, like a preppy (still probably a little counter-intuitive though). But that's okay, throwing in a stabilo 88 won't take up that much space in a pencil case :-)

KrazyIvan
April 7th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Unfortunately I could not get that stencil. It sold out while I was thinking about getting them.I caved and did not want to have the same happen with the others. Here are mine with my cover. http://instagram.com/p/mBvaw6iDF8/

Plume145
April 7th, 2014, 05:40 PM
wow, they look great together like that! Is the cover leather or some kind of fabric? It's hard to tell with the vintagey instagram filter :P Now I want it even more though, boo :-/

tandaina
April 7th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Oh Sith Lord, do you use their planner? How do you like it?

reprieve
April 7th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Just to enable you if you're considering the planner: I adore my Hobonichi! It is the first planner that I've a) used consistently throughout the year and b) haven't felt limited or annoyed by the format. I keep my to-do lists, my work schedule, my personal schedule, short diary entries, gym notes, reading notes, etc., etc., all in the same place. And the Tomoe River paper rocks my socks off! I love this stuff and I was so excited to have a planner with my favorite paper. The show-through (or shadowing or whatever you want to call it) doesn't bother me and I frequently use broad stub nibs. Since the ink does take a while to dry, I keep an index card in between the pages which doubles as an ink blotter and an extra bookmark (the 4x6 Exacompta index cards (http://www.gouletpens.com/Exacompta_Index_Cards_p/e13272.htm) fit perfectly). I did order a cover so that I could toss it in my bag without worrying about the pages getting bent; I like having the pen holder on the cover, too, and it has a couple small pockets which I've found very convenient for cards and scraps of paper. I've never been completely happy with any other planners (and I've tried quite a few!) but this one just works for me.

Here's a neat article on their site about how one of their employees uses their Hobonichi: https://www.1101.com/store/techo/people/en/001.html. I like the idea of splitting the pages in half for work/personal and I may try that.

tandaina
April 7th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I'm really tempted, I really want something that will help me plan meals, record $ spent, record training efforts with dog and horse, rose gardening, work commitments, etc. The Midori is great for general notes, writing assignments, but I don't find it's journal *works* for me as a daily journal, partly because it isn't a whole year all in one convenient spot.

How long does shipping take? If it is like Germany that is a problem, really considering ordering one but I move in just under a month so it would need to arrive in a reasonable time (shipments from Germany sent post take 4 - 8 weeks to reach me here in Texas.)

tandaina
April 7th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Plume, if I order this thing (who am I kidding?), I don't mind grabbing the stencils for you if you can cover a bit of shipping and USPS envelope once they land.

reprieve
April 7th, 2014, 06:45 PM
I don't remember exactly how many days it took for mine to arrive, but I think it was within a week. Definitely within two weeks. (I'm in the U.S.)

KrazyIvan
April 7th, 2014, 07:36 PM
wow, they look great together like that! Is the cover leather or some kind of fabric? It's hard to tell with the vintagey instagram filter :P Now I want it even more though, boo :-/

Plume, Mine is nylon. I could not afford the leather covers. Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side. :D

Like Reprieve, this is the first paper planner I have been using consistently. I do not use it strictly as a planner. I think that is why I have been using it more consistently. I had mine at my door in about a week. It actually took longer to ship than it actually took to travel the distance from Japan. That is partly why you are paying so much for shipping. It's Tomoe River paper so you know its good. I also use some blotting paper with it.

Plume145
April 7th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Plume, if I order this thing (who am I kidding?), I don't mind grabbing the stencils for you if you can cover a bit of shipping and USPS envelope once they land.

Wow, that would be great, thanks!! and of course I would cover the extra shipping - to you and from you :-) We'd best do the sums beforehand though, just to make sure I won't end up paying more this way, because it would be a real shame to have you go to all this trouble only to have me end up paying more overall, kind of lose-lose for both of us! (it's just that I'm in Greece, might drive up the cost). And of course if you also want anything from here, please let me know!

Plume145
April 7th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Plume, Mine is nylon. I could not afford the leather covers. Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side. :D

Like Reprieve, this is the first paper planner I have been using consistently. I do not use it strictly as a planner. I think that is why I have been using it more consistently. I had mine at my door in about a week. It actually took longer to ship than it actually took to travel the distance from Japan. That is partly why you are paying so much for shipping. It's Tomoe River paper so you know its good. I also use some blotting paper with it.

Your experience mirrors mine with EMS. It is pretty fast, and it's secure, but it'll cost you (lots less than a comparable service from a private courier, but still, it can smart lol)

I know, the leather is pretty pricey! At that price point I'd get fairly picky about details like the texture of the leather and stuff (in part because I can get some pretty nice leather items locally for pretty cheap). Easier to just avoid altogether and go for nylon. I see you got the cool double-loop pen-holder/closure! That's the one I'd have gone for as well! Seems really simple and streamlined, definitely compared to the strap closure (these always catch on things for me!) Will you let us know how well it works?

migo984
April 8th, 2014, 02:56 AM
I have used a Hobonichi for three years now. They are perfect for me. The Japanese version is available in 2 other sizes, including an A5 size (the Cousin) if you want a larger planner and they can easily be used by non Japanese readers. This is the A5 planner

http://www.1101.com/store/techo/2014/all_about/cousin/cousin2.html

Information on ordering Hobonichi Techos, and lots of helpful stuff, can be found here:

http://lindsaynelson.com/techo/

There are a lot of accessories on the standard Japanese site that can be added to your English version order, that don't appear on the English language site. You just add them into your basket as usual. If you do order from Hobo then it is worth setting up an online account. It makes future ordering much easier.

http://www.1101.com/store/techo/2014/toolstoys/total.html

I have ordered a lot of Hobo items from the Japanese site with no problems, and I don't read Japanese at all. The set of 3 small notebooks are good. Not Tomoe but acceptable paper and they slip into the pocket at the back of the planner cover if you use one. I like the writing board that slips underneath the page you are writing on, to give a firm base. I also have all the stencils.

The Hobonichi is a standard size A6 so there are lots of alternative covers out there that fit. I use a Midori leather cover I've had for s while and it's pale nubuck and looks cool. But the fabric Hobo covers are very good and include 2 bookmarks which I like.

IMO this is one of the best designed and most flexible fixed cover planners you can get, and with TR paper you can't lose. :thumb:

Plume145
April 8th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Migo, thanks for the details! It's nice to get another long-term user's perspective :-)

I noticed the extra accessories, and I agree, they're fantastic! There's a pair of scissors that is just darling, it's small and really really skinny to fit in one of the pockets :) I'm a total minis fiend so I was in heaven there! I think they're totally worth a look even if you can't use the planners, because most of the accessories seem useable with any notebook.

serpent
April 18th, 2014, 10:56 PM
found this on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/161527630/stencil-for-filofaxtemplate-for-planner
enjoy

rberg6868
April 19th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Thanks serpent. I just ordered from them.