PDA

View Full Version : Waterman pen help

tacothekid
April 8th, 2014, 07:15 AM
I recently bought a new, unused Waterman from my local thrift store, but it seems that it is having an ink flow problem. It has both the cartridge and the converter; I'm using the cartridge, and so far, it seems that I've got to press really hard to get the ink to flow consistently on the page. Any ideas as to what it could be? I've run the head through water and squeezed a few drops out of it, so I know that the cartridge isn't the problem...maybe the nib?

Scrawler
April 8th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Before trying to use the pen, wash and flush it to remove all manufacturing debris from the feed. If you squeeze the cartridge too hard you may crack it and make a mess. If you have a bottle of ink use the converter first, because you prime the nib by dipping it. This will help to separate cartridge and flow issues. If you do not have a bottle of ink, use a syringe to wet the feed to get it started, not squeeze the cartridge. If you have neither bottled ink or a syringe, hold the nib under slowly flowing cold water to see if it will start the capillary action. Once having ensured there is actual ink flow, you will be in a position to decide if the nib needs shimming and flossing.

Ernst Bitterman
April 8th, 2014, 03:41 PM
"new, unused" and "thrift store" are unlikely companions. Not impossible, but I'd suspect that someone did a half-job of cleaning before passing it along to the store. Flushing remains the right answer, though; you might want to get an ear-syringe (it's good for regular maintenance cleanings anyway) to force water through the section in vast bursts, and adding a barely-perceptible amount of dish soap to the water to lift either old ink or manufacturing oils might also help-- if you use soap, be sure to have a clean water rinse as well.

If the problem persists, either the feed or the tines need adjustment.

tacothekid
April 8th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I did that ruining under child water and it seems to help...for now

Scrawler
April 8th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I did that ruining under child water and it seems to help...for now

Good. Keep writing with it and let us know how it is going.

tacothekid
April 8th, 2014, 09:25 PM
At best, it's spotty