PDA

View Full Version : Notebooks for Class Notes?

inkyletters
April 8th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a fountain pen friendly notebook that is reliably good enough to write on both sides, standard size, at least 40 sheets- though more would be preferable. Under $8 a piece would be best. I use fine points usually, but I'm not versed enough to determine if they are wet writers or dry?

Being able to source them from goulet, jetpens, or a similar site so I can combine shipping would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance!

Lady Onogaro
April 8th, 2014, 01:22 PM
It won't have 40 sheets (32 sheets), but you can buy 2 of them for $9.00 (less if you order 5; even less if you order 10 with the discount): Banditapple Carnet Handy Notebook (from Goulet). You can definitely write on both sides of the paper with most fountain pens. I love, love, love them.

inkyletters
April 8th, 2014, 02:45 PM
I'll look into to those! I'm also looking at CLairefontaine and Koyoko Campus notebooks because I've heard great things about them. Does anyone know if they can be written on both sides?

Lady Onogaro
April 8th, 2014, 03:15 PM
I have used and like the Clairefontaine notebooks, too. I should have recommended those as well. I believe you can also get those at a discount at Goulet if you order 5 or more.

mtnbiker62
April 8th, 2014, 03:24 PM
I use this in both the A5 and B5 size...love them. As long as you aren't using a super wet pen, you can write on both sides with no problem.
http://www.jetpens.com/Kokuyo-Campus-Twin-Ring-Notebook-Semi-B5-Dotted-6-mm-Rule-40-Sheets-Pack-of-5/pd/5375

Plume145
April 8th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Huge fan of Kokuyo here (all, but especially Campus). It's just right for texture, it's got great layouts (the lines are always easy to see for writing on, but never printed so bold they interfere with written text - handy for review), it's reliable, AND it's cream - which I think is easier on bleary late-night-study-session eyes than bright white a la Clairefontaine. All that, AND it's cheap and comes in every size you could wish for.

Try them, I think you will love them.

Lady Onogaro
April 8th, 2014, 05:10 PM
I use this in both the A5 and B5 size...love them. As long as you aren't using a super wet pen, you can write on both sides with no problem.
http://www.jetpens.com/Kokuyo-Campus-Twin-Ring-Notebook-Semi-B5-Dotted-6-mm-Rule-40-Sheets-Pack-of-5/pd/5375

Those are terrific, too. But I've been using the MIO notebooks rather than the twin ring.

ChrisC
April 8th, 2014, 05:13 PM
iScholar notebooks from Shoprite/Freshgrocer are surprisingly good. Half of it will probably be velvety smooth, better than Rhodia IMHO, the other side will be toothy. But at 100 sheets for 59 cents (1 dollar without the usual sale) its an incredible value. They don't feather, and don't bleed through with standard inks like Montblanc Black or Aurora Blue.

DrChumley
April 8th, 2014, 05:33 PM
I have been using the Clairefontaine wirebound notebooks at work for notes. I particularly like their wirebound Basic line, because I like the muted colors...although I'm not sure why those are so hard to find online. (I can get them locally, but not many retailers carry them.) Paper is spectacular.

I've also used and like the Apica CD 15 notebooks. They're snazzy looking, have wonderfully smooth paper, and are quite FP friendly.

AXCross
April 8th, 2014, 06:13 PM
I use B5-sized paper for my grad school notes for the last 2 years.
Initially started with Kokuyo and Campus, but when the local store stopped carrying the grid version I liked I had to switch to L!FE - which turned out a better option in terms of quality.
Plus I love cream paper - so it's even better.

NB:I use looseleaf paper and then put it in binders b/c it's easier for me. L!FE, Apica or some other brands also have sewn notebooks to match your parameters.

henkm
April 9th, 2014, 02:42 AM
I use kokuyo, both the campus wide spiral foolscap and the notebooks. Different papers but I love both.

kallenpj
April 9th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Quickly from gouletpens...
***A4Size***
Apica CD40 --> 50 sheets at 17.6 cents per sheet
Clairefontaine Basic Clothbound --> 96 sheets at 14.6 cents per sheet
Clairefontaine Clasic Notebooks --> 96s at 9.9cps
Clairefontaine Side Staplebound --> 40s at 15cps
Clairefontaine Top Staplebound --> 80s at 13.75cps
Clairefontaine Top Wirebound --> 80s at 15cps
Clairefontaine Side Wirebound 8.5x11 3 hole punched --> 90s at 13.9cps
Rhodia side staplebound --> 48s at 10.4cps
Rhodia side wirebound --> 80s at 11.25cps
Rhodia top staplebound --> 80s at 11.25cps
Rhodia top wirebound --> 80s at 13.75cps
Medium Size
Apica Basic --> 100 sheets at 8.6cps
Apica CD --> 28s at 10cps
Apica SW --> 30s at 12.6cps
Clairefontaine Basic --> 96s at 9.9cps
Midori Stitched -->88s at 17cps
Rhodia Meetingbook -->80s at 17.5cps
Rhodia side staplebound -->48s at 6.88cps
Rhodia No16 --> 80s at 6.88cps

If economics are a concern, you might want to try to see what you can do with creating your own. You can get HP 32# laserjet paper at a third of the price (3.5cps). If you want A5 (almost at least), you then just have to find a paper cutter which cuts your cost per sheet in half.

For my money I like Apica CD11 for a bound book and Rhodia No16 for tear out pages. A5 is my preferred size... (higher cost per square cm, but lower cost per sheet).

ac12
April 12th, 2014, 10:47 PM
If in the US, Staples 1-subject spiral bound notebooks, MADE IN BRAZIL.
During the back to school sales in July/Aug I see them going for 2 for $1, and I've heard some stores sell them even less.

Next step up in quality and price would be "Black and Red" notebooks.

inkyletters
April 12th, 2014, 10:52 PM
@ac12 do black and red notebooks go for cheaper in store? Online they seem to cost significantly more than a basic Clairefontaine or Koyoko notebook by about $3-4 a piece...

inkyletters
May 7th, 2014, 01:37 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/08/jyvebyby.jpgthese beauties arrived today, just in time for finals revision! I think I'm going to try this, clairefontaine, and Doane paper this summer. Does anyone know if this paper is the same stock as the stuff used for the spiral bound ones on jetpens? I know some companies change stock between sizes and styles...

inkyletters
May 14th, 2014, 11:54 PM
So far I'm in love. We may have found a winner! Unless someone else wants to tempt me out of my money?

Shimmershadow
May 15th, 2014, 08:33 PM
I am so glad to have stumbled on this thread--I'm in much the same situation. Starting school in just under two months, and I require notebooks...FP friendly, reasonably sturdy, and cheap. I'm in love with the Clairefontaine wirebounds, but Mr. Shadow might divorce me if he finds out I've dropped $12/notebook. Then again, I'm pretty sure I'll have to keep these notes for the duration of my time in school, so I could probably legitimize the expense...right? Right??

inkyletters
May 15th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Yes. Of course. And goulet pens has them for $5.50....?

Shimmershadow
May 16th, 2014, 04:28 AM
This is true, but only for the side wirebound. I was edging towards the top wirebounds. Rhodias are a buck cheaper at Goulet for the top-wires. My only solution is to buy in bulk, of course. ("But Honey, it's discounted!!")

inkyletters
May 16th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Ah yes, I prefer side wirebound. The top wirebound are much priceier Why must good paper be so expensive!

Shimmershadow
May 16th, 2014, 11:53 AM
I don't know why the top wirebound are so much pricier, either. I took a papermaking class in college, and I suppose I understand some of the fundamentals of why decent paper costs more (denser pulp quality, more processing involved, etc.), but still, le sigh. I suppose one could compare it to high thread count sheets vs cheaper, scratchier sheets. Maybe I'll mix and match side-bound and top-bound books and see which ones I really prefer. Some styles might be preferable to others for lab classes vs. standard lectures.

snedwos
May 16th, 2014, 04:48 PM
The answer is it's all imported from Europe or Japan. Speaking of Japan: Apica. Great little notebooks.

Silverbreeze
May 17th, 2014, 06:27 AM
I use M by Staples paper (premium ) intermixed with levenger / Rhodia Circa paper. Still adds up, but the disc binding lets me move notes around and still use my nibs

Shimmershadow
May 17th, 2014, 07:29 AM
I use M by Staples paper (premium ) intermixed with levenger / Rhodia Circa paper. Still adds up, but the disc binding lets me move notes around and still use my nibs

M is still waaay cheaper than the Circa! I actually really like the M series for writing papers and research, particularly for the ability to shuffle pages. I keep all my notes on tarot in an M notebook.

Silverbreeze
May 17th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Yup but spend the extra dollar for the premium refill, I can use a stub on that refill. No bleed and barely any show through

Shimmershadow
June 2nd, 2014, 05:29 AM
True, the good refill paper does make a difference, but I wouldn't be using a stub on anything note-wise unless I was recopying tarot notes into a nicer hand for permanent use. (which I do do sometimes do, so...)

Anyway. I stockpiled some Rhodia side wirebounds (5 lined and 5 graph) for the Summer and Fall semesters. I think they'll work the best for my purposes, and they're the closest to what I'm used to using in classes.

Plume145
July 10th, 2014, 06:44 PM
if you love Clairefontaine, one way to save might be to buy loose sheets to put in a binder. I'm not sure who has it stateside but bureaudirect sells them in ten-packs of 100 sheets for about twenty quid (works out about two quid for each pack of 100). I know there's a CF rep in the US and that it's a big market with all the rhodia fans, so I'd be really surprised if you couldn't find something equivalent there.

An offer like that does mean you have to be sure you like it, because you ARE saddling yourself with 1000 (!) sheets. Not to mention storage! Can be an issue with student living. But if you've got that stuff covered, it's a pretty good way for your pens to prance around on first-class paper with a cattle class budget lol.

inkyletters
July 11th, 2014, 06:30 PM
So bts displays are out at my Walmart. It appears that norcom is offering two countries of origin- Colombia and USA. I advise the USA based on the ink test I did. Fairly little feathering, minimal bleed, decent ghosting. The Colombia one bled like crazy. I can post the pics of my ink test if anyone wants to see the comparison. It looks like there were no made in Brazil ones this year though, and I know that's a fall back for many.

stonerman33
July 12th, 2014, 10:55 PM
So bts displays are out at my Walmart. It appears that norcom is offering two countries of origin- Colombia and USA. I advise the USA based on the ink test I did. Fairly little feathering, minimal bleed, decent ghosting. The Colombia one bled like crazy. I can post the pics of my ink test if anyone wants to see the comparison. It looks like there were no made in Brazil ones this year though, and I know that's a fall back for many.

I snagged some Brazil ones early last year, but by the end of the BTS season they were all USA and Vietnam I believe? I love supporting made in the USA as much as I can, but the Brazilians have the cheap FP friendly composition book market cornered.

FayeV
July 28th, 2014, 03:00 AM

The Norcom brand spiral notebooks at Target this BTS season is made in MEXICO. Avoid at all cost. Ink shows through so you can only write on one side. And it sucks ink out of your pen; with the increased flow, you feel like you need to write faster than normal to avoid a splotch of ink wherever your nib touches paper.