PDA

View Full Version : Celluloid

kallenpj
April 8th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Anyone out there know a source for Celluloid rods? From what I can tell most of what once was available is gone. I got Brian's last rod of purple web (Menlo ED) and it left me wanting more.

pengeezer
April 8th, 2014, 05:53 PM
You might check with David Nishimura of Vintagepens.com . I think he has another business besides the
website where he sells celluloid rod. They are not,however,vintage celluloid.

John

AltecGreen
April 8th, 2014, 05:53 PM
The only recent source of celluloid rods available on the retail market was the stuff from American Art Plastics which included the purple web material. Those rods came out a few years ago and much of it appears to be gone. You might want to contact American Art Plastics (aka David Nishimura and Mark Hoover) to see if they have anything left or if they have plans to make more material.

Other than that, there are still rods left over from the 1990's Tibaldi company. Much of that material also has been spent in the last 10 years for use in various LE pens. Conid in Belgium might still have some rod stock. Other than that you can try to ask various pen turners if they will sell.

Nitrose celluoid is a big investment and ties up a lot of capital. New material can be made but the minimum appears to be $50K and up per pattern. In recent history, I think Delta is the only company that has made significant investment in celluloid. Omas has large quantities for their own use. There are only a handful of companies making modern pens out of celluloid. Delta, Platinum, Hakase, and Omas are the ones that come to mind. Other companies like Oldwin seem to be making pens from Omas rod stock.

Sometimes vintage rods come on the market but you really have to be quick to snatch the stuff up. Other than that, I know people who have personal stocks of celluloid rods but it is doubtful they will sell.

Bear in mind also that vintage celluloid came in a dazzling array of colors and patterns. Almost none of those patterns have been replicated in modern times. If you really love celluloid, I would just buy vintage pens.

Check out my thread (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2141-Vintage-Italian-Pen-series) on vintage Italian pens to see some of the beautiful patterns of the past.

trhall
April 8th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Check out my thread (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2141-Vintage-Italian-Pen-series) on vintage Italian pens to see some of the beautiful patterns of the past.

That thread is great. I re-read it. As always, great info, Ricky.

DanDeM
April 9th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Modern rods can be found at Rockler...

http://www.rockler.com/search/go?w=Pen%20Rods&asug=&sli_uuid=&sli_sid=

kallenpj
April 9th, 2014, 11:16 AM
No disrespect, but I was looking for true Celluloid as opposed to acrylic acetate or cellulose acetate or another polymer based material (not that there is anything specifically wrong with those)...

My understanding is that AAP is out, and not getting more...

Montegrappa is also making celluloid pens...

raging.dragon
April 10th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Conid are using the last of their Tibaldi Imperio celluloid for a limited edition run of oversized bulk fillers. Stipula may still have limited stocks of some of the other Tibaldi celluloids, and also the Celluloids used in some previous Stipula pens.

For what it's worth, Cellulose Acetate and other Cellulosic plastics look and feel pretty much like Celluloid (Cellulose Nitrate); however, they're also just as hard to find.

Acrylic rods are easy to find, but don't look or feel like Celluloid. I'm not sure about Polyester Resin and some of the other readily available rod stock materials as I haven't had the opportunity to see and handle them in person.