PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento (CA) Pen Shops

Jericho9mm
April 8th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Long story short, there is no place in Sacramento or the greater Sacramento area that sells Fountain Pens, Paper, Ink, etc. I have come into a little bit of money and have toyed with the idea of opening a small, very small, brick and mortar shop for low to mid range priced pens and paper with ink and other accouterments. I don't want to get into the vintage or high end game but would rather keep it to new pens only with a good supply of various inks.

1. Am I crazy?
2. Is there a community to support such a store?
3. Do you think the FP hobby is catching on in Sacto to a degree that this could be viable?

If someone beats me to it and starts their own brick and mortar shop in Sacto I would welcome it. Then I wouldn't have to go to all the trouble :)

ac12
April 8th, 2014, 07:42 PM
The problem with Sacramento is, you don't have nearby population centers to draw from. OK, Davis and Stockton, but still not enough population. If you were in the SF Bay Area, you have major population centers to draw from; San Francisco, Oakland, Silicon Valley, East Bay, Peninsula.

I think you need to combine it with something else, stationary, art, etc.
I don't think a pen store will make it on it's own, especially w/o internet sales to supplement the store sales.
Jointly with other products, then it makes sense. But so many of these areas have been gobbled up by the big box stores or chains (stationary=Staples, Office Depot, etc. / Bookstore = Barnes & Nobles, Amazon. / Art = Michael's ), that an individual store will have a hard time competing.
And I think you need to have an internet presence, to supplement store sales.

tacothekid
April 8th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Long story short, there is no place in Sacramento or the greater Sacramento area that sells Fountain Pens, Paper, Ink, etc. I have come into a little bit of money and have toyed with the idea of opening a small, very small, brick and mortar shop for low to mid range priced pens and paper with ink and other accouterments. I don't want to get into the vintage or high end game but would rather keep it to new pens only with a good supply of various inks.

1. Am I crazy?
2. Is there a community to support such a store?
3. Do you think the FP hobby is catching on in Sacto to a degree that this could be viable?

If someone beats me to it and starts their own brick and mortar shop in Sacto I would welcome it. Then I wouldn't have to go to all the trouble :)

Office depot has a decent selection, but nothing high end...it's where I get mine