PDA

View Full Version : super-compact mini photo studio on Kickstarter

Plume145
April 8th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Hi all, I came across this (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/640799395/lightcase) today, figured it might be of interest around here. Hope it's not been posted already, if so feel free to delete/merge!

It's basically like those clunky fold-up/pop-up mini studio setups (http://www.google.com/search?q=mini+photo+studio&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=V5lEU5TvNsmXO4TrgJgI&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=680#q=mini+foldable+photo+studio&rls=en&tbm=isch), the ones that look like a little tent with diffusers for walls, except it's lots smaller overall and designed to fold down to about a4, instead of about the size of a large portfolio or something.

I have one of those mini studios, and it's a total pain in the neck - takes a while to set up, the lights get scalding hot in seconds (and they hog two plugs), and the pictures are pretty underwhelming. I wrestled with the thing for months before discovering that I got way better results using just my desktop, which is glossy white MDF and placed next to a large french window *d'oh!*. Since then the mini studio has been gathering dust and getting in the way. This thing looks like a much better option for those who don't have the handily located MDF desk ;)

TBH I don't think I'm going to back this myself, because I've got more urgent things to spend money on right now. Plus, this mainly seems designed to be used with a smartphone, at least for the views from the top where you need a flat (non-protruding) lens - I have a little p&s I like using for this kind of thing.

But if you're in the market for this sort of thing, I still reckon it's worth a look - it does seem impressively smaller and overall less irritating than similar solutions. And it's loads cheaper - there's a perk now for 27 pounds shipped worldwide, whereas apparently they plan to sell for 35 (I don't think they should go over 30 on a thing like that, but maybe I'm wrong).

So, yeah. Just something I thought you might want to know about :-)

KrazyIvan
April 8th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Personally, I backed this one: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orangemonkie/foldio-the-1st-foldable-studio-for-smartphone?ref=search

I was told by my wife that it arrived yesterday. I will get to try it later this month.

Plume145
April 9th, 2014, 05:42 AM
yeah, this actually looks much nicer, or at least more sophisticated since it incorporates its own lighting. It's also smaller I think. You will post some results of course, right?

KrazyIvan
April 9th, 2014, 06:20 AM
yeah, this actually looks much nicer, or at least more sophisticated since it incorporates its own lighting. It's also smaller I think. You will post some results of course, right?

I purely bought it for my blog pictures. It shoulld free me from my sunlit window. So, hopefully it will be a part of my permanent blogging gear.

Plume145
April 9th, 2014, 06:28 PM
I looked at the link again for the price, and the most expensive perk was for $43, so it sounds like when they sell it will be more than that. That seems a lot cheaper than the one I posted, as well :)

Jon Szanto
April 9th, 2014, 06:38 PM
I seem to be doing fine with one I found on eBay. Cost was $27.00, the cube has 16" dimensions, comes with 2 lamps, a camera stand, and four matte color backgrounds. Box folds up into about the size of a large LP, and it takes me maybe 5 minutes to get everything ready for shooting. For me, a mini-box might be good for one or two items, but this slightly bigger size gives me some breathing room for larger objects or groups.

I like the one that Ivan posted, but that seems like Krazy money for some folded paper and battery-powered LEDs. But, whatever works...

KrazyIvan
April 9th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I seem to be doing fine with one I found on eBay. Cost was $27.00, the cube has 16" dimensions, comes with 2 lamps, a camera stand, and four matte color backgrounds. Box folds up into about the size of a large LP, and it takes me maybe 5 minutes to get everything ready for shooting. For me, a mini-box might be good for one or two items, but this slightly bigger size gives me some breathing room for larger objects or groups.

I like the one that Ivan posted, but that seems like Krazy money for some folded paper and battery-powered LEDs. But, whatever works...

FWIW, they upgraded the materials after the kickstarter was underway without raising the price but yeah, a bit more pricey. I just have to get home and try it out before I make a judgement call.