PDA

View Full Version : Nakaya inner threads rotate?

Apprenti
April 9th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Hi guys,

Was cleaning my Nakaya the other day when I noticed that I can rotate the threads on the section (the brass-coloured ones that attach the barrel to the grip section) with my fingers. The pen still closes fine, I was just wondering whether anyone else had a Nakaya that did this?

Also, accidentally popped the nib out a little bit. I checked to see if it would completely come out (to make sure nothing was trapped) then pushed it back in. No problem, right? This was after running cold water through the section, and after soaking it with slightly less cold water.

It's probably nothing, I just want to make sure I don't break anything. I'm very careful with my pens, but I guess I'm a little more adventurous than some, tuning nibs and grinding stubs on my other pens etc. Nothing that would damage the pen though?

Cheers,
Joe

earthdawn
April 9th, 2014, 04:38 PM
The nib and feed can come out without issue. Just be careful not to do it all the time as you have more chances of offsetting the nib/feed and upsetting the ink flow. But it really is ok to remove it for cleaning etc.

As far as the threads turning, the brass one, lll have a look when I get home but I am pretty sure that brass fitting is suppose to be stationary and glued into place. BUT I'll double check when I get home tonight.

85AKbN
April 10th, 2014, 07:25 AM
I've had two that the brass section came loose recently. The first, I was told to glue it, and I mucked that operation up so they sent me a new converter, barrel, and cap. The second, after almost a week or so going back and forth trying to get me to glue it, a new cap is being sent. I just didn't want to glue the brass in and risk messing it up again. Still waiting on the new cap.

Apprenti
April 10th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Glue it? That sounds easy enough, but your comment of 'mucking it up' lead me to believe that perhaps it isn't? It doesn't seem to be a problem thus far, but if it comes too loose I'll squeeze some epoxy in there with a syringe after taking the nib and feed out.

Thanks,
Joe

earthdawn
April 10th, 2014, 03:24 PM
All 6 of mine are tight and don't move at all..

I'd love to see pics or a quick video of whats going on with yours.

Apprenti
April 11th, 2014, 01:48 AM
I fixed it. The metal threaded bit unscrews from a threaded extension to the section, and in the threads was a load of gooey gunk. I'm cleaning everything and I'll put it back together this evening with a spot of epoxy.

No biggie,
Joe

Alex2014
April 11th, 2014, 02:40 AM
My new decapod had the same problem: the feed rotated too easily in the section. I had to apply some pressure to fix it better in the section. Nakaya feeds have not treats, but are fixed by pulling it firmly into the section. :smash:

Apprenti
April 11th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Hi Alex,

I was talking about the metal threads that hold the section to the barrel, not the feed. Sorry you're having troubles though.

I glued the threads and screwed it back together. Should work fine now.

Thanks guys,
Joe