PDA

View Full Version : Teenagers, no respect!

Apprenti
April 9th, 2014, 02:55 PM
First let me point out that 1) this is probably the wrong forum, but I didn't know where else to put this and 2) I am a teenager.

I was on Facebook earlier (which is something I do quite little nowadays) when I noticed a status that had over 100 comments. These comments were all one big argument where people were insulting each other, ridiculing each other in regards to subjects completely irrelevant and just overall showing distinct disrespect. As a whole, I don't feel teenagers deserve the bad rep they get sometimes, except to each other. I've discovered a lot recently that teenagers pick out the people who try and show respect and ridicule them. I commented asking these people to show a bit of respect and was told that I 'come out with some dum s***' sometimes. All the people who'd been arguing stopped to pick on me! It's almost as if teenagers argue because they enjoy it. I think it's because they're trying to prove themselves and, in doing so, are actually just proving themselves to be jerks.

Well, I'd rather talk 'dum' s*** than mean any day.

Not really sure what the point of this thread was, other than to vent a bit. I'm off to college next year, and no one from my current school is going there, so I'd imagine things will change a bit. I just need to get through my exams and escape!

Thanks for humouring me,
Joe

jar
April 9th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Hang in there. Remember that teenage brains simply aren't developed yet and what you see is just part of the rewiring.

Crazyorange
April 9th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Sorry to hear your experience. As a 45 yr old lady, I'm out of synch with your generation. I'm not crazy on Facebook. It's a very empty world. I find most of it boring. I don't care that "bob" checked into Starbucks or that one hundredth photo of a birthday party. I know many people love it but for me it lacks depth. It's easy to be nasty with others without ever looking someone in the face. People can be rude and closed minded without taking responsibility how others might be effected.

Ignore the comments. Let it go. Most teenagers have no clue what adulthood is going to bring. You are far more mature not to get involved in the hate and to realize how closed minded your peers are. It will take you far as you go out into the world.

Yes, college is much different then high school. You may not see most of your peers after graduation. Everyone goes their own way and the bulls*** will be forgotten. Focus on your future and fountain pens.

Take it from this old fart, high school is a blip in time. There's lots of good stuff ahead. Stick with people who want what you want.

drgoretex
April 10th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Hang in there. Remember that teenage brains simply aren't developed yet and what you see is just part of the rewiring.

Ditto that. Take what you hear/read as being from such a source. Many teens and young adults see themselves as quite learned and wise, simply because they do not know (yet) just how much they do not know.

Reminds me of that good old Mark Twain quote:

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

Ken

Apprenti
April 10th, 2014, 09:50 AM
My dad likes that quote, he reminds me of it all the time haha :)

Thanks guys,
Joe

cwent2
April 10th, 2014, 11:43 AM
For what it is worth

It is mind over matter
You should not mind, 'cause they don't matter.

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

just my two cents

I am male, and a 55 yr old fart.

Apprenti
April 10th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Hello Mr cwent,

Mind if I share that? I like the quote, might have to 'calligraphise' it ;)

Joe

Murfie
April 10th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Well, I'd rather talk 'dum' s*** than mean any day.

Well said, Joe. It's not rocket science to work out that to get respect, you have to give it first. You never earn any respect by being mean to others. Hang in there.

Cookies
April 10th, 2014, 09:32 PM
When you enter college and then the workforce you will realize this is not contained to teenagers. Some people who act like that will grow out of it as they mature. Many won't. Some people just love drama.

HughC
April 10th, 2014, 11:03 PM
First let me point out that 1) this is probably the wrong forum, but I didn't know where else to put this and 2) I am a teenager.

"...all one big argument where people were insulting each other, ridiculing each other in regards to subjects completely irrelevant and just overall showing distinct disrespect...."
Joe

Sounds like an ordinary day on the floor of the Australian Federal Parliament ....and they get paid!!

Regards
Hugh

Murfie
April 10th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Sounds like an ordinary day on the floor of the Australian Federal Parliament ....and they get paid!!

Sssshhhh! Hugh, don't go letting on how crude things are here Downunder. We are supposed to be masquerading as a civilised society {insert emoticon for tongue-in-cheek}.

Frank
April 12th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Caveat Emptor

​;)