PDA

View Full Version : FPN Lifeboat

duende
May 30th, 2012, 06:00 PM
OMG! FPN has been down for a few hours! What shall we do? Are there any new inks or pens that have come out in the meantime? Welcome to all the refugees. Please don't rock the boat. :welcome:

KrazyIvan
May 30th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Welcome duende. I am the first to reply. Can I have your gold fountain pen? :D

Welcome to the madness.

manoeuver
May 30th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Man that is a big site to go down. Hope it's all ok.

duende
May 30th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Welcome duende. I am the first to reply. Can I have your gold fountain pen? :D

Welcome to the madness.

Gracias muchacho. You will only be able to pry my golden darling from my cold ink-stained hands. Go ahead, make my day. And so on and so forth. =)

fourseamer
May 30th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Seriously, anybody know what happened or when FPN might be back up? Seems an uncommonly long outage.

picautomaton
May 30th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I suspect one of the moderators deleted the site instead of a post?

etoyoc
May 30th, 2012, 07:40 PM
and here I thought that IT finally got around to blocking the site at work. It didn't even occur to me that I couldn't log in this morning.

WendyNC
May 30th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I'm feeling very clever for having joined up over here last week.

No boat-rocking from me. I'm getting ready for the Triangle Pen Show this weekend. :)

danahn17
May 30th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I am a refugee too! :crazy_pilot:

goldiesdad
May 30th, 2012, 08:46 PM
OMG .... The world as we know it has changed ... At least I visited a new pen store today while visiting Houston ...

xspect
May 30th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I think the was some talk about doing some upgrade

KrazyIvan
May 30th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I wonder how many posts I'm going to lose this time.

@ duende: I don't have to pry anything. I just force pull it right out of your hand. :D

duende
May 30th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I wonder how many posts I'm going to lose this time.

@ duende: I don't have to pry anything. I just force pull it right out of your hand. :D

Ooo that's evil indeed. I said no rocking the boat, but I guess I have no choice :fencing:

KrazyIvan
May 30th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Haha! Good one!

ehemem
May 31st, 2012, 12:47 AM
Usually, if there is an upgrade going on, there is some sort of notice that comes up saying the site is temporarily down and will be up whenever. I'm only getting a cannot-connect. FPN has been down and dark for going on 24hrs.

melissa59
May 31st, 2012, 01:33 AM
I am one of those refugees--a newbie trying to learn about cheap pens and pretty inks. When I do a Google search, it always wants to send me to FountainPenNetwork. ACK!

BTW ... I saw somewhere that the site went down shortly after 9 a.m. Pacific Time. But I was looking at the Penmanship threads sometime around midnight on 5/30 or maybe one a.m. on 5/31 when it went down. Gee... I hope I'm not the one who broke it!

Jon Szanto
May 31st, 2012, 01:44 AM
There was an outage last year that was similar IIRC. I *think* they started out in a maintenance mode, but it quickly borked. It was down for a pretty long time then, maybe about two days. Had to rebuild the database, etc, and a fair number of posts were lost. Hope this one isn't as bad.

peterpen53
May 31st, 2012, 01:50 AM
Well, that sounds very reassuring. :bad:
I hope they are not the kind of people you need to constantly remind of backups...

Jon Szanto
May 31st, 2012, 01:57 AM
Well, that sounds very reassuring. :bad:
I hope they are not the kind of people you need to constantly remind of backups...
No, not really. OTOH, that is a very high-traffic site, and even one day without a backup would lose significant numbers of posts. That said, how much are you paying for your use of the site? We benefit from some pretty generous hosts, so I'm not going to complain. It is what it is.

peterpen53
May 31st, 2012, 02:08 AM
No, not really. OTOH, that is a very high-traffic site, and even one day without a backup would lose significant numbers of posts. That said, how much are you paying for your use of the site? We benefit from some pretty generous hosts, so I'm not going to complain. It is what it is.
Agreed, but I for one would not mind paying a small user fee if that would help keeping in sync with current developments. I can't help thinking their software is a little bit long in the tooth, compared to similar forums. I remember seeing a post by wimg (admin) on the subject of not allowing Tapatalk because it would add another security risk. I'm by no means an expert on this (and I think Wim really is and may very well be right) but I don't think this is a good sign. You can't keep these things out forever. And if your software gets too old, you run the risk of it not being supported any longer.

Maja
May 31st, 2012, 02:48 AM

:thumb:
Yep, FPN is a great site!

danahn17
May 31st, 2012, 05:39 AM
Day 2 since the FPN went down...

Was picked up by a lifeboat from the distant land of FPGeeks...

Currently waiting... but water, food, and ink rations are running low... (although time and money seem to be stable)

Not sure if I can survive much longer...

:P

cmg.sweet
May 31st, 2012, 06:20 AM
Any more room on the lifeboat?

Sailor Kenshin
May 31st, 2012, 06:25 AM
And any further news?

Meanwhile:

Welcome to the lifeboat party! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzGIGBWzgjI)

januaryman
May 31st, 2012, 07:09 AM
Day 2 since the FPN went down...

Was picked up by a lifeboat from the distant land of FPGeeks...

Currently waiting... but water, food, and ink rations are running low... (although time and money seem to be stable)

Not sure if I can survive much longer...

:P

Same here! Was suffering withdrawal symptoms until I remembered the Geeks! Thanks, Geeks...

DanielCoffey
May 31st, 2012, 07:56 AM
"Fifteen pens in the dead man's pen-chest--
...Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of ink!
Crud and the nib creep had done for the rest--
...Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of ink!"

KrazyIvan
May 31st, 2012, 08:35 AM
Maybe I am not feeling it since I was hanging around here more. :p

duende
May 31st, 2012, 08:37 AM
Song to enjoy with pic: Blue Bayou- http://grooveshark.com/s/Blue+Bayou/4t11nv?src=5

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VeOSb7UTRkc/T8eAPBg8xJI/AAAAAAAAALE/f5kj4mC3IQM/s400/DSC_0422.JPG

eriquito
May 31st, 2012, 08:40 AM
Song to enjoy with pic: Blue Bayou

Ah, Roy Orbison! Orale! =)

rbadger332
May 31st, 2012, 10:45 AM
I like this community. Good group of people. I will happily stay in both, as long as I don't get hurt.

Asus TF300T / Tapatalk 2

KrazyIvan
May 31st, 2012, 11:29 AM
I like this community. Good group of people. I will happily stay in both, as long as I don't get hurt.

Asus TF300T / Tapatalk 2

Just make sure the nib is always pointing away from you. :)

xspect
May 31st, 2012, 11:34 AM
"Fifteen pens in the dead man's pen-chest--
...Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of ink!
Crud and the nib creep had done for the rest--
...Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of ink!"

As slappy the squirrel used to say - "Now THATS comedy"

WOBentley
May 31st, 2012, 11:40 AM
I have been meaning to sign up here too...I guess this was a good excuse...
This should help fight the withdrawl symptoms!

rbadger332
May 31st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Just make sure the nib is always pointing away from you. :)

Ahhh. That explains why my head hurts.

Asus TF300T / Tapatalk 2

Silent Speaker
May 31st, 2012, 12:20 PM
I don't think I'll make it, man!

I don't think I'll make it!

That's it! Enough!

I can't take it - to my mother, my dog, and clowns!

See you space cowboy...

*BANG

freddygirl
May 31st, 2012, 03:01 PM
I know!!! Right there with 'ya.

I have been meaning to sign up here too...I guess this was a good excuse...
This should help fight the withdrawl symptoms!

So has anyone gotten any information that is credible as to what's going on?

Lloyd
May 31st, 2012, 03:12 PM
So has anyone gotten any information that is credible as to what's going on?
Even non-credible info would be enjoyable. E.g.,

Temporarily closed while taking on status as a Super Pac.
Changing logo's color scheme to a different shade of blue...this could take weeks.
Creating a Lamy subforum (yeah, right).
Deleting all positive (or negative) posts related to BSB ink.
Mods decided to add back all the deleted postings.

tytoalba
May 31st, 2012, 03:21 PM
http://youtu.be/gJ-bhM-xueclet's see if this works

RodneyOK
May 31st, 2012, 03:25 PM
I'll join the party! I have been listlessly going through life the past two days wondering how I could possibly go on. I was so happy to see some familiar names over here! Woot!

Paul Raposo
May 31st, 2012, 03:42 PM
I need to talk about pens!

Sorry, I had to get that outta my system.

Found this forum by chance, and happy I did. Looking forward to visiting often :wave:

Malcy
May 31st, 2012, 03:45 PM
I think that I'm going cold turkey.

The withdrawal symptoms aren't pleasant. :(

Grendel
May 31st, 2012, 03:50 PM
Is there more room ? I don't need much... :help:

Hey, they have one of my favorite smileys here -- :rant:

:cheer2:

eriquito
May 31st, 2012, 03:56 PM
Is there more room ? I don't need much...

Hi Grendel!

There's always more room =) Welcome aboard!

dfranks04
May 31st, 2012, 04:33 PM
Hello FPN friends... I have no idea if this is true but I saw someone on Twitter last night mention that he was receiving spam emails that could have only be accessed through FPN information. Hopefully this is not true but it may be that our beloved FPN was hacked. 8^(

COME BACK TO US FPN! I need pen and ink reviews!

The Scribbler
May 31st, 2012, 04:45 PM
Looking at the bright side of the outage... I haven't been quite as tempted to spend money I don't have on pens, paper, and ink.

BiggieD
May 31st, 2012, 04:51 PM
Hey guys, I'm going to start a new topic in the Lounge for Raleigh/Triangle Pen show reports. Since I'm new here I'm not sure if this is where it should go -- if not mods -can you help a refugee out?

eriquito
May 31st, 2012, 04:55 PM
Hey guys, I'm going to start a new topic in the Lounge for Raleigh/Triangle Pen show reports. Since I'm new here I'm not sure if this is where it should go -- if not mods -can you help a refugee out?

Go for it, BiggieD! The Lounge is the perfect spot.

KrazyIvan
May 31st, 2012, 05:51 PM
Hello FPN friends... I have no idea if this is true but I saw someone on Twitter last night mention that he was receiving spam emails that could have only be accessed through FPN information. Hopefully this is not true but it may be that our beloved FPN was hacked. 8^(

COME BACK TO US FPN! I need pen and ink reviews!

That was me. I have my email addresses segmented so I know what email is being harvested. The spam was from India and it had my FPN email addy, that's all I know. No confirmation of a hack but it made my radar go off.

Alohamora
May 31st, 2012, 06:49 PM
Holy web outage batman! It's been what, like a day and a half at least? Now I'm getting worried.

KrazyIvan
May 31st, 2012, 06:56 PM
The last one lasted three days IIRC.

fountainpenkid
May 31st, 2012, 07:20 PM
What if the site was hacked and nothing is left? :(i don't think that would be possible-they must have some of the stuff saved... hopefully the review index!) Would FPGeeks become THE Fountain pen forum? ;)

paulturtle92
May 31st, 2012, 07:45 PM
Going cool turkey... stranded on an island with only 1 pen, 1 ink and limited paper supplies, and worst of all, no FPN!!:cry:
I do hope they haven't lost the reviews...

Maja
May 31st, 2012, 07:54 PM
Going cool turkey... stranded on an island with only 1 pen, 1 ink and limited paper supplies, and worst of all, no FPN!!:cry:

Well, if you're on deserted island with just 1 pen, 1 ink and limited paper supplies, why don't you let us know (in this new thread--->>>http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/681-Desert-Island-Pens-amp-Ink-%28what-wiould-you-choose-to-have-on-a-deserted-island-%29 ) what they are? :D

xspect
May 31st, 2012, 08:03 PM
I heard the miami zombie problem has spread to the FPN server center. :crazy_pilot:

drconn
May 31st, 2012, 08:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

I was a newbie at FPN under drconn but I pulled up the cached FPN site and noticed that they run the forum software through iphosting.com; it appears that on the night of the 29th, this company had all clients upgrade their forum software to 3.30 or something. Based on the message boards there, it looks like this update blew up in many many clients faces. There are pages of posts with people scrambling to fix issues and data loss etc.
Happy to have found this place. It is funny to notice that on the day of the outage, on fpgeeks, ink reviews alone has as many reviews in a day as the previous month or two. They have been so kind that I will join here also.

Dustin

gumwater
May 31st, 2012, 08:15 PM
I heard the miami zombie problem has spread to the FPN server center. :crazy_pilot:

ewwwwwwwwwwwww :blink:

Lloyd
May 31st, 2012, 08:43 PM
A bit of haiku-like prose

Miami Zombies*
took control of F.P.N..
Nobody knows why.

Noodlers Gray Matter
was the ink they were after
but it's nonextant.

*wouldn't "The Miami Zombies" make one heck of a great name for a sports team?

Tokugawa
May 31st, 2012, 08:58 PM
Just wondering if the FPN owner(s) have backups that they can restart the website from. Withdrawal is a terrible thing.

Tumbleweedtoo
May 31st, 2012, 08:59 PM
This might be a good time for us to take the time to write a review or two on our favorite pen and/or ink! :) When FPN is back up, we will be ready to post!

All the best,
T

Tokugawa
May 31st, 2012, 09:02 PM
Good idea, Tumbleweedtoo:cheers::fans:

gumwater
May 31st, 2012, 09:03 PM
Or you could even post them here on FPGeeks in the "Pen Review" or "Ink Review" forums. No need to wait for FPN.

dannzeman
May 31st, 2012, 09:08 PM
Hey, they have one of my favorite smileys here -- :rant:

And we can always add more. If you've got a favorite let us know and we'll add it.

OcalaFlGuy
May 31st, 2012, 09:24 PM
I've stuck my head in here off and on.

Seems kind of quite.

I think they need more beer.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Rich L
May 31st, 2012, 09:29 PM
I will spread a rumor I heard - probably ripe to be debunked but I heard that both IAP and FPN were hacked with or without some viral intent. I never saw the effects of this as I was viewing IAP at the same time FPN was down yesterday. IAP has clearly recovered but my source who claims to have other sources in dark corners blames his pc problems on trying to get into IAP at the time all this was happening. I'm on a Mac - no problems and also was on a Sun today and no problems. Has anybody heard any of that story?

bluejay
May 31st, 2012, 10:03 PM
I will spread a rumor I heard - probably ripe to be debunked but I heard that both IAP and FPN were hacked with or without some viral intent. I never saw the effects of this as I was viewing IAP at the same time FPN was down yesterday. IAP has clearly recovered but my source who claims to have other sources in dark corners blames his pc problems on trying to get into IAP at the time all this was happening. I'm on a Mac - no problems and also was on a Sun today and no problems. Has anybody heard any of that story?

What is the IAP?

Newton Pens
May 31st, 2012, 10:21 PM
international association of penturners. there was a thread over there talking about loggin in and his virus software stopped him - said it was virusy.
I got an email thru FPN for an ad in classifieds,
Tue, 29 May 2012 19:43:15 -0700
and within a couple minutes of that it was down.

SheilaM
May 31st, 2012, 10:37 PM
Howdy, yall,

Just dropped by to see if anyone knew anything about FPN and found this thread. Seems a little weird that no one has heard anything definitive...

Essensia
May 31st, 2012, 11:05 PM
With all this spare time, I started reading one of those "book" things. :shocked:

rockspyder
May 31st, 2012, 11:45 PM
Hey all, another FPN refugee here...hope there is a rope on the lifeboat I can hang on to...

Trillium
May 31st, 2012, 11:53 PM
It is a little surprising that none of the FPN mods or admin have climbed aboard to tell the tale.....

drconn
June 1st, 2012, 12:46 AM
I agree Trillium, I am new at FPN and do not want to rock the boat but with hundreds of people running sales through the classifieds and the forums popularity, I am flabbergasted that the sites owner/s has not reached out. To be completely honest, it is quite negligent and feels like a big F.U. to all of the great members.

79spitfire
June 1st, 2012, 01:16 AM
I'm just glad it's not my computer. I became suspicious when I tried it from a different computer and it still didn't work!

I wonder if it is as simple as they ran out of bandwidth for the month?

Zanshin
June 1st, 2012, 01:31 AM
Don't you at least get some sort of holding page if that happens?

melissa59
June 1st, 2012, 01:42 AM
I am new to FPN (right at a month) and even newer to FPG. I really like the friendly, intimacy here.
But one thing I miss--and please don't toss rotten vegetables at me--is the penmanship forum.

I originally stumbled onto FPN while looking for calligraphy information. I did an about turn and went with a fountain pen. I'm a bit of a klutz and the idea of working with a dip pen and an open bottle of ink sounded a little dangerous for a newbie. But I still hope to learn better handwriting, so I can make the best use of my fountain pens in my son's scrapbooks, cards to family and friends, and maybe some future pen pals.

On the subject of viruses ...
I'm sure everyone has heard of the FBI warning about a virus that could affect thousands in July. Perhaps it'll turn out to be another millenium scare, but the FBI seems to be taking it seriously. Here is a link to see if your computer has been affected: https://forms.fbi.gov/check-to-see-if-your-computer-is-using-rogue-DNS

picautomaton
June 1st, 2012, 02:40 AM
Man this has to be the longest FPN timeout I can remember. Serious withdrawal symptoms. I really hope for all members the data is safe.

StephenBrown
June 1st, 2012, 04:29 AM
I seem to remember that there was this thing with the Mayan calendar ending in 2012, which, according to some, would signify the end of the world. For fountain pen users, FPN going down is the end of the world...

Zanshin
June 1st, 2012, 04:34 AM
It's back

As of 11:37 BST there is an FPN in all its glory

Rich L
June 1st, 2012, 06:41 AM
It's back

As of 11:37 BST there is an FPN in all its glory

Yep, and according them - no viruses. That's great!

Sailor Kenshin
June 1st, 2012, 07:39 AM
This might be a good time for us to take the time to write a review or two on our favorite pen and/or ink! :) When FPN is back up, we will be ready to post!

All the best,
T

Some of us have blogs where we post pen reviews. Perhaps a list or a thread, with just a sample of the pens inks, and papers we have reviewed?

Newton Pens
June 1st, 2012, 01:26 PM
It is a little surprising that none of the FPN mods or admin have climbed aboard to tell the tale.....

I agree Trillium, I am new at FPN and do not want to rock the boat but with hundreds of people running sales through the classifieds and the forums popularity, I am flabbergasted that the sites owner/s has not reached out. To be completely honest, it is quite negligent and feels like a big F.U. to all of the great members.

Man this has to be the longest FPN timeout I can remember. Serious withdrawal symptoms. I really hope for all members the data is safe.

I did come on here and say something. I'm a mod. Remember? :)
Oh well - doesn't matter - it's back.

And I think the blackout last year or the year before, whenever, was something like 3 or 4 days. It all crashed then.

KrazyIvan
June 1st, 2012, 01:52 PM
Yup no hacks at the FPN. Looks like a hosting bill payment mixup, if I understood Wim's post correctly. I still changed my FPN password.

Jimmy James
June 1st, 2012, 01:58 PM
I'm glad to have it back but also glad this is around!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ncn0uo