PDA

View Full Version : Clairefontaine paper not for me. suggestions?

jackwebb
April 11th, 2014, 04:07 PM
My standard notebook is a Mead 5 subject which handles FP reasonably well, with little to no bleed through (as long as you keep moving) and only some show through. I ordered 3 Rhodia note pads and 2 Clairefontaine Triomphe Pads, although they are very smooth I get a high pitched squeaky noise from the nib on this paper. I have tried with Noodler's flex, Lamy medium, and Pelikan broad all with the same results. The sound isn't something a normal person would mind I guess, but to me it is like nails on a chalk board. Anyone have any idea what I am talking about? Suggestions for a paper that is maybe not so smooth? I have no issue with the nibs on the Mead and am assuming the smoothness of the Clairefontaine paper is the issue.

Thanks
Joe

mhosea
April 11th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Anyone have any idea what I am talking about?

Unfortunately, no, or at least not that I have ever associated with the paper. I have had some nibs that would resonate, producing a high pitched tone rather than just the usual white noise. I supposed it was because they could use some smoothing at the very edge of the slit. Offhand, though, I don't remember whether I fixed them. It doesn't happen to me often, and when it does, it's usually an 18K gold nib for some reason.

Lady Onogaro
April 11th, 2014, 04:38 PM
You could try Banditapple Carnet; the texture of the paper is quite a bit different. Or you could try Kokuyo, but I would think that if you had a problem with the smooth Clairfontaine, you might have it with Kokuyo, too.

jackwebb
April 11th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Anyone have any idea what I am talking about?

Unfortunately, no, or at least not that I have ever associated with the paper.

I kind of thought by the number of people who love the clairefontaine paper, this is what I would find.

You could try Banditapple Carnet; the texture of the paper is quite a bit different. Or you could try Kokuyo, but I would think that if you had a problem with the smooth Clairfontaine, you might have it with Kokuyo, too.

I have a feeling it is the smoothness of the paper that I am not used to. I would hate to spend two or three hundred dollars on paper just to find something I like. I know the Midori paper in my travelers notebook doesn't make the same noise. I have thought about trying a Crane 32lb, but was hopping someone has had the same experience.

wayne.robinson
April 11th, 2014, 06:37 PM
The Triomphe paper is a lot smoother than the standard Clairfontaine paper though which I find to have a little more tooth than Rhodia.

VertOlive
April 11th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Could always give the Tomoe River paper a try. I know what noise you mean and I don't hear it with that. Now it's all I use.

jackwebb
April 11th, 2014, 07:04 PM
The Triomphe paper is a lot smoother than the standard Clairfontaine paper though which I find to have a little more tooth than Rhodia.

Thanks, I think the more feedback there is form the paper is what's going to make a difference. I am writing in my desk calendar right now and although I cant use my Pelikan (cheap paper cant handle that much ink without bleed through), I am using my Lamy and there is no annoying sound. A paper with some ink resistance with "tooth" will be my next step. Does the standard Clairefontaine have that same ink resistance the Rhodia does? I will see if I can find a review on Goulet.

Mags
April 11th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Midori makes a stitched A5 sized notebook that will not disappoint you. $20 or so dollars

jackwebb
April 11th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Could always give the Tomoe River paper a try. I know what noise you mean and I don't hear it with that. Now it's all I use.
Thank You! one conformation means I am not completely crazy. I have seen a lot of talk about the Tomoe River and it looks like tissue paper in all the photos. How delicate is it?

jackwebb
April 11th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Midori makes a stitched A5 sized notebook that will not disappoint you. $20 or so dollars

I'm not a hundred percent sold on Midori paper yet. although I don't get the sound I was talking about I have been getting a lot of skipping, hard starts, and other strange things. I haven't ruled out oils from my skin yet but not sure I want to invest any more in that brand until I have done further testing. Thanks though.

Mags
April 11th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Careful the paper in the notebooks are better than the Traveller and Passport inserts. Loving my notebook it is just a touch absorbent and will take juicy double broad and broad nibs I favour.

Lady Onogaro
April 11th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Thank You! one conformation means I am not completely crazy. I have seen a lot of talk about the Tomoe River and it looks like tissue paper in all the photos. How delicate is it?

Nanami Paper sells samples of Tomoe River paper if you want to go that route: http://www.nanamipaper.com/products/seven-seas-tomoe-river-paper-tomoegawa-writing-pad.html

You might also email the owner of that company and ask him if he has any suggestions.

The small Banditapple Carnet notebook won't put you back much; it's only $3.50 (though I admit that it can cost a lot to start experimenting).

KrazyIvan
April 11th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Just out of curiosity, how hard are pressing on the pen?

jackwebb
April 11th, 2014, 09:20 PM

Although I admit I do grip the pen very tightly, and is something I make a conscious effort to improve on. I don't use much pressure on the nib at all. I just did a little test after I read your post, and if I use any less pressure I get skipping, any more I get noticeably more ink on the paper. so I would say... just right?

jackwebb
April 11th, 2014, 09:31 PM
more information... when I ordered my paper I ordered an assortment to see what I liked. Clairefontaine Triomphe in A4 and A5, Rhodia in #16 lined, unlined, and dots. I started out with the Rhodia dots and the A5 and experienced the issue on both. I sat down to write a letter tonight and grabbed the #16 lined pad, no issue at all. I sat the lined and dot pads next to each other and went from one to another. the issue only occurs on the dot pad, but I am getting feathering on the lined paper. Its supposed to be the same paper?

KrazyIvan
April 11th, 2014, 09:46 PM
The paper is close to the same but not the same. There is also some differences between generations although I think most of the older stock (better paper) may have already made its way through retail channels. On the nib noise, it may be a bum batch of paper, but that odd. Maybe contact Exaclair to see about it getting replaced. The other thing that it might be is the nib itself. I have seen some with slight oxidation on the tip that can cause a dragging sensation while writing, sort of like writing with a crayon. Just a quick few strokes on micromesh cures it.

mhosea
April 11th, 2014, 10:38 PM
if I use any less pressure I get skipping, any more I get noticeably more ink on the paper. so I would say... just right?

Depends on the reason for the skipping. If the skipping is only because you end up accidentally lifting the nib off the paper, and so the writing skips because the nib is not in contact with the paper (and so who could blame it!), then it sounds right. A very small amount of variable pressure is inevitable for the sole purpose of keeping the nib on the paper throughout the range of each stroke. However, when the skipping comes despite that the nib remains in contact with the paper (and is not rotated out of position), then that would indicate a nib adjustment issue.

kia
April 12th, 2014, 12:22 AM
I know the sound you described. I've had it. It happened mostly on papers that had more "sizing" or chemical coating to make the papers more smooth, along with a finer, stiff nib. I used to worry the chemical coatings on some papers would harm the nibs on my pens.

I do have a couple of Clairefontaine Triomph pads, and they seem to be a little on the extra side of sizing. I prefer a Rhodia graph pad over the Triomph. I found Arc by Staples to be slightly better than Levenger, but the Levenger lined Free Leaf pads seem to work fair, though they do have more sizing. I don't squeak the nib on it anyway.

My softer nibs and wet writers seem to do ok, though I get the chalkboard squeaks once in a while. It also seems the more the nib is used, the better things get and the less squeaks to be had.

jackwebb
April 12th, 2014, 06:38 PM
The paper is close to the same but not the same. There is also some differences between generations although I think most of the older stock (better paper) may have already made its way through retail channels. On the nib noise, it may be a bum batch of paper, but that odd. Maybe contact Exaclair to see about it getting replaced. The other thing that it might be is the nib itself. I have seen some with slight oxidation on the tip that can cause a dragging sensation while writing, sort of like writing with a crayon. Just a quick few strokes on micromesh cures it.

It is possible the nib needs some work, but it happens across all of my pens.

I know the sound you described. I've had it. It happened mostly on papers that had more "sizing" or chemical coating to make the papers more smooth, along with a finer, stiff nib. I used to worry the chemical coatings on some papers would harm the nibs on my pens.

I do have a couple of Clairefontaine Triomph pads, and they seem to be a little on the extra side of sizing. I prefer a Rhodia graph pad over the Triomph. I found Arc by Staples to be slightly better than Levenger, but the Levenger lined Free Leaf pads seem to work fair, though they do have more sizing. I don't squeak the nib on it anyway.

My softer nibs and wet writers seem to do ok, though I get the chalkboard squeaks once in a while. It also seems the more the nib is used, the better things get and the less squeaks to be had.

This makes since. maybe they use a different process to finish the different papers. More sizing on paper with less ruling? I will have to check the blank pad and the A4 pad.

I will give it a shot tonight and let everyone know what I find, thanks for all the help.

Joe