PDA

View Full Version : Help me with Pilot VP Issues

Jeph
April 12th, 2014, 01:47 PM
In another thread about choosing between a Pelikan M200/205/215 and a Pilot Vanishing Point, I mentioned some issues I found with my VP. The thread is here (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/6464-Which-would-you-purchase-Pilot-VP-or-Pelikan-M205?p=75168&posted=1#post75168).

Here is what I said.

I have now had a few days to play with my VP and I have more to add. I absolutely love the looks of the VP. The clip was in the way until I noticed while holding another pen that really it was not and it was all in my head. Now I use the clip as a guide to keep the nib oriented properly and as a rest for the side of my finger. The balance is great. It is heavier than an M200/205/215 but not really by much at all. And I notice that there is even a little door in the nose of the section that closes behind the nib to keep it from drying out. All of that should make the VP a slam dunk. But it is not. I have discovered a design flaw in the VP. The nib unit is capable of being rotated, albeit only slightly, within the housing. The can interfere with your contact angle. The good news is that it does not appear to move easily but it can move. What is more important is that the nib unit is free to translate side to side during writing. My EF was putting down a beautifully wet .36mm line but the feedback was horrible and there was definite tooth. I carefully inspected the nib under 10X magnification and found everything looked perfect. I tried again at 30x and it was still perfect. It was not until I was in the act of smoothing the nib that I discovered the rotation and translation issues. If you write slowly with zero pressure it is not an issue. My memory of college note taking was a furious, frantic storm of spewing ink onto the page desperately trying to keep up. This is exactly the type of writing where the translating nib will start to fight you. I love the size of the line, but I have been too spoiled by superb nibs to be able to cope with way the nib reacts under duress. The wider nibs are probably less susceptible to the translation issue. The EF is now wonderfully smooth, as long as I slow down some and write carefully…

I could not take pictures to show what I see, so I tried a video. The rotation is that which is allowed by the play in the keyway at the back of the section where the nib unit is inserted. I can also see where the door the closes behind the nib opens at an angle and not aligned with the nib opening. I rotate the nib back to straight, retract it, and then when it comes out again it is slightly rotated. That part is in focus.

At the end of the video I show the translation if the nib unit. There is only slight pressure being applied. The nib is not moving relative to the feed.

Jeph's Pilot VP Video (http://youtu.be/fxOmeJ9uzDU)

So, for all of you Pilot VP owners out there, do you experience any of these things or is my pen defective? It is sad to say that I hope that mine is defective because I could really love this pen if it would just behave.

dr.grace
April 12th, 2014, 03:28 PM
This doesn't happen with my VP.

79spitfire
April 12th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I just looked at mine, and it doesn't happen with mine either. It seems yours is extending a bit farther. Are you sure the cartridge/converter is seated fully??

Robert
April 12th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I haven't had any problems with mine.

bitterwonder
April 12th, 2014, 07:46 PM
No problems and i have had mine a dozen years.
The Pilot people are lovely to deal with, write to them.

LagNut
April 12th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Wow not at all like my VP. The point I could really see it was when you grabbed the nib and shook. If you are using a cartridge, do you have the cover over the cartridge? If your using the con-50, then no doubt, it goofed up.

LagNut
April 12th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Ack! Can't edit! It is goofed up should be the last sentence.

Jeph
April 13th, 2014, 05:26 AM
I am using the converter. I managed to get an almost in focus picture of the offset of the nib door in the nose of the section.

kia
April 13th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I had a similar problem with a used VP that I had bought. The trap door mechanism was askew, and although it didn't rotate, it made using the pen not as nice an experience. I haven't had any issues at all with new ones (and I have bought several). I would see if you can contact Pilot, I'm pretty sure they will replace the barrel for you.

I don't use the converters, but instead opt to refill the proprietary cartridges and use the cartridge covers, and I haven't had any problems. The nib units seat pretty flawlessly, they have an alignment tab/notch that makes it near impossible for there to be a problem with the nib units lining up properly. I've used F and M nibs, but not the EF nibs. The trap door mechanism on your pen definitely looks amiss. I haven't ever had any rotation of the trap door on my pens purchased new, but that doesn't mean one doesn't occasionally slip through in manufacturing.

Jeph
May 14th, 2014, 04:04 AM
I got my VP back from Richard Binder and it is much improved. The orientation is correct and the feedback has been reduced to a mere whisper. With this fine of a point I find that I need at least that much feedback or this nib will get away from me especially when writing quickly. The problem with the nib being able to translate side to side is unchanged as I expected. I accept that as the price that must be paid for the point to vanish. It is clear to me that I put more pressure on my nibs when writing than I think and it gets worse when I write quickly. My hope for this pen was to sit on my desk ready for me to snatch it up, be ready to write with a single click and promptly start spewing work notes. The nib is great when I write slowly and concentrate on zero pressure but that is not its intended purpose. The pen is still very nice and worthy of being in my collection. If nothing else I can use it to improve my writing technique. The problem is that I have too many spectacular nibs that write the same line to use one that is simply very good. I admit that my standards are unreasonably high but they are my standards and will do with them what I want.:p

LagNut
May 14th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Jeph,

It shouldn't translate side to side. Not at all.

Pilot should fix your pen, IMO. When I saw your video, the side to side translation was what told me something was wrong.

Hope you can get this working the way it should...

Cheers
Mike

Jeph
May 15th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Jeph,

Pilot should fix your pen, IMO. When I saw your video, the side to side translation was what told me something was wrong.

Cheers
Mike

Pilot agrees with you. It will be going out to them tomorrow.

Silverbreeze
May 15th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Jeph,

Cheers
Mike

Pilot agrees with you. It will be going out to them tomorrow.

Hope they don't toss the Binder unit out on you

LagNut
May 16th, 2014, 12:43 AM
I'm glad that they are taking care of it. These pens have become favorite tools and I am happy you'll get a chance to have one that works correctly.

Jeph
June 26th, 2014, 05:53 AM
Well, it did not actually go out until May 19th. It arrived back today, June 26th. There was no communication in between.
There was no explanation on the included Nakia repair sheet that was in the box.
And, most importantly, not only is it not any better but I would say that it is even worse.

I am horribly disappointed with Pilot. I have too many pens to bother using something that writes this poorly. And I can't even sell it because I cannot in good conscience take money for what is to me clearly a defective product. Just holding the nib unit by itself the nib translates within the barrel. Whether that is a production flaw or a design flaw I cannot say. I can say that while I own I wide assortment of nibs the ones that I actually USE regularly are EF's. So it is not like I don't know what to expect from an EF nib. This pen is shit and now it goes into The Box to live with the other hopeless pens.

jde
June 26th, 2014, 07:37 AM
It's so hard to understand how between Binder and Pilot no resolution was had! Wow. Seems like a lemon that should have been replaced by someone. Sorry to read of your travails. Certainly gives us pause. While I've had nothing but working Pilot pens, all it takes is one to spoil the experience.

Best to you, Jeph.