PDA

View Full Version : Lamy Collection

Pages : [1] 2

Bogon07
May 30th, 2012, 11:42 PM
My Lamy Collection:
None of the fancy ones just variations on a basic theme.
Initially I just wanted the Coffee Al-Star ! Then the SilverGreen looked too good not to have and the blaah ....blaah .... blaah .....blaah.
Funny the same thing happened with the ink.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2963&stc=1
Al-Stars
Coffee F
Lilac (Silver Blue) EF
Silver Green EF
Raspberry M
Shiraz B
Ruby Red 1.5 italic
Ocean Blue 1.1 italic
Graphite 1.1 italic
Aluminium (F black)
Pearl A
Black A
BlueGreen (1,1 italic)
Orange Copper (1.1 italic)
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=544&stc=1

Safari:
Vista (clear) M (my first Lamy from a Border's closingdown sale)
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=545&stc=1
Yellow F
Neon Yellow EF
Orange EF
Pink B
Aquamarine F
Charcoal (M black)
Apple Green LH
Blue LH---lost :cry:
Red LH
White 1.1 italic
Black 1.1 italic
Neon Coral A
Dark Lilac (F)
Joy:
Shiny Black with red clip and end barrel accent 1.9 italic
Shiny White with grey accents 1.5 italic

Nexx/Nexx M
Orange F
Citron M

Logo
Brushed Steel (F)
Nut Brown (1.1)

Linea
Herringbone F (F)

Pur
Guilloche (F) much wider spacing between the grooves than the CP1.

CP1
Matt Black (LH black)
Platinum (B 14K) Guilloche. The shiny platinum really shows up any finger prints and needs constant polishing as the fingerprint oils create a tarnished effect in a short time.

Accent
Briarwood (F 14K)

Scala
Ti 1.1 italic

Studio
Matt Blue (M)
Pearl White (EF 14K)
Platinum Grey (M 14K)
Royal Red (A)
Studio Violet (M)
Wild Rubin Red (A)
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3339&stc=1
Plus a big pile of blue and black cartridges. I've only used three blue ones so far as all the pens have converters except the Pink & Neon Safari.

Possibly future additions:
Studio Imperial Blue
Studio Brushed Steel

Maja
May 31st, 2012, 03:13 AM
Nice collection, Bogon07! (and completely :offtopic:...... is that a capybara in your Fpgeeks avatar?)

Anyway, I guess this is the place to list our Lamy fountain pens, so I'll go next....
Al-Star:
Coffee
Ruby

Safari:
Red
Flame (limited edition orange colour)
Pink
Light Blue (w/red clip)

Studio:
Bronze
Brushed steel

nexx M:Orange
2000: Matte black
cp1: Matte black
Logo: Stainless steel
abc: Red-capped one:redface:

I also have some Ballpoints (red Safari, black Accent, orange Noto, orange Vivo) and Rollerballs (yellow Safari, palladium Swift and pink Tipo).

(edit---added a couple of non-FPs I forgot in my original post)

goldiesdad
May 31st, 2012, 05:06 AM
Wow I feel like a slacker ... Great Collection ...

dannzeman
May 31st, 2012, 08:25 AM
:postpics:

KrazyIvan
May 31st, 2012, 08:28 AM
Pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics.

To think it all started with a Vista. I remember when you posted about it.

eriquito
May 31st, 2012, 08:29 AM
Well, I won't go so far as to say this thread is worthless without pics, but I will raise my hand and plead with Bogon07 for at least one. Please? =)

Chi Town
May 31st, 2012, 08:48 AM
My Lamy Collection:
None of the fancy ones just variations on a basic theme.

Al-Stars
Coffee F
Lilac (Silver Blue) EF
Silver Green EF
Raspberry M
Shiraz B
Ruby Red 1.5 italic
Ocean Blue 1.1 italic
Graphite 1.1 italic
Aluminium F

Safari:
Vista (clear) M (my first Lamy from a Border's closingdown sale)
Yellow F
Orange EF
Aquamarine F
Charcoal M
Apple Green LH

Joy:
Shiny Black with red bits 1.9 italic

Nexx/Nexx M
Orange F
Citron M

Plus a big pile of blue and black cartridges. I've only used one blue one so far as all the pen have converters.

Now that's an impressive Lamy collection if I do say so myself! But at the moment I am looking at it by brail if you get my drift? :-)

tytoalba
May 31st, 2012, 01:26 PM
anyone with a spare Flame, (hint) and you'll have a Rainbow of photo's

Safari Black Clip
Red - Yellow - Blue - Grey - Charcoal - soon White
Safari Red Clip
Light Blue - Black Joy the set
Safari Chrome Clip
Red - Yellow - Blue - Black - White
Lime - soon Orange - Pink - Aqua - Apple

Maja
May 31st, 2012, 03:35 PM
:postpics:

Alright, alright Dan :rolleyes:
Here is a quick photo I snapped of my Lamys above:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/MF518/Pens/Lamy_Collection001.jpg

I forgot to mention a couple of custom-made Lamy barrels that are in the photo above. They were made by Penchetta Pens several years ago (not sure if he still makes them). Edit---just checked and it appears he still has them on his website: http://www.penworks.us//index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_28

Maja
May 31st, 2012, 03:37 PM
Hey, anybody know how I can delete the "attached thumbnails"? The photo is hosted by Photobucket....:help:

dannzeman
May 31st, 2012, 03:38 PM

I forgot to mention a couple of custom-made Lamy barrels that are in the photo above. They were made by Penchetta Pens several years ago (not sure if he still makes them).

Yay!

Those barrels are pretty sweet. I would like a custom made round section for my Safari. Does anyone do that?

dannzeman
May 31st, 2012, 03:42 PM
Hey, anybody know how I can delete the "attached thumbnails"? The photo is hosted by Photobucket....:help:

Go to Edit Post> Go Advanced> Manage Attachments.

Maja
May 31st, 2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks, Dan!

:focus:

tytoalba
May 31st, 2012, 03:59 PM
F L A M E ! Red Clip!:jaw:

tytoalba
May 31st, 2012, 04:02 PM
Maja, How do you like the ABC?

Maja
May 31st, 2012, 04:08 PM
Maja, How do you like the ABC?

Howdy tytoalba! It writes well (as I would expect even the cheapest Lamy to do ;)) and it feels comfy in the hand. It's not a heavy pen but it does not post. The 'chunky' nature of the barrel does not make it awkward to hold, though (as I usually post my pens).

tytoalba
May 31st, 2012, 04:11 PM
I should have asked if it's tiny in your hand? didn't even think about not posting.
Looks very cute in the pen case with your name on it : )

etoyoc
May 31st, 2012, 05:02 PM
well... if it is Lamy show and tell time.... here is my meager collection of Lamy pens. I have some spare nibs, inks, etc... but am feeling too lazy to get them in the shot...

tytoalba
May 31st, 2012, 05:39 PM
yes, I keep forgetting Vista.. that purchase is to be from B & M.

very nice etoyoc : )

Bogon07
May 31st, 2012, 06:11 PM
Mrs Bogon picked up the Citron Nexx from the PO for me yesterday so now I will be able to try and take some photos of the whole lot this weekend (so KI won't be bored with the same old photos again).

Luckily I remembered to clean out the blue test ink before filling it with Dragon's Napalm, my eyes are still smarting from the intensity of that ink.

Nice collection, Bogon07! (and completely :offtopic:...... is that a capybara in your Fpgeeks avatar?)

Anyway, I guess this is the place to list our Lamy fountain pens, so I'll go next....
Al-Star:
Coffee
Ruby

Safari:
Red
Flame (limited edition orange colour)
Pink
Light Blue (w/red clip)

Studio:
Bronze
Brushed steel

nexx M:Orange
2000: Matte black
cp1: Matte black
Logo: Stainless steel
abc: Red-capped one:redface:

I also have some Ballpoints (red Safari, black Accent, orange Noto, orange Vivo) and Rollerballs (yellow Safari, palladium Swift and pink Tipo).

(edit---added a couple of non-FPs I forgot in my original post)

Hi Maja, Thanks for placating Dan & Eric with your photo. That is a very nice collection you've assembled. Those marbly red custom barrels look rather attractive.
I've got to keep away from the Studios and Dialogues.
How does the ABC feel compared to the Nexx ?

Yes it is a Capybara. He/she is my virtual pet.

Tytoalba & Etoyoc (nice photo too), you've also a pretty handsome selections of Lamys too.

I find those pale blue Safaris very appealing. I wonder if Lamy will release another blue as a LE in the future ?

tytoalba
May 31st, 2012, 06:38 PM
isn't the D Napalm the two toned Mercurochrome color? blue would certainly muddy that one.

The light blue/red clip is my favorite collector color.

The missing links in the ABS color wheel are purple, brown, dark green, and more textures.

Maja
May 31st, 2012, 07:24 PM
Hi Maja, Thanks for placating Dan & Eric with your photo. That is a very nice collection you've assembled. Those marbly red custom barrels look rather attractive.
I've got to keep away from the Studios and Dialogues.
How does the ABC feel compared to the Nexx ?

You're welcome---you're in Oz and I'm in Canada so I might have had a time zone advantage (and thanks for posting your own pic---love the AL-Stars!) Thanks also to Etoyoc for the photo---it's a lovely collection...not "meager" at all :D

To answer your question re: the Lamy ABC vs. the Lamy Nexx M (I don't have the regular Nexx)....Well, I have them both in front of me....and the barrels are almost exactly the same length (and weight) but the ABC's is made of of maple wood & plastic vs. the aluminum of the Nexx M.....the rubber gripping sections are similar in shape but not exactly the same (the Nexx has a larger gripping area---this might be important if someone has really big hands).....the nibs & feeds look like twins.....All in all, the pens have some simlarities, except the Nexx M can be posted but the ABC cannot. Again, if your hands are huge (mine are average size for a woman, maybe a bit larger than average) the ABC might be a bit small for you, but it's a fun pen and has that sort of "IKEA Kids" vibe to it...which I like :D

Bogon07
May 31st, 2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks Maja, I sort of suspected the Nexx has a slightly longer grip area. You're right about the ABC having an IKEA vibe.
The only difference between the Nexx & NexxM is the cap.

Pen2Paper, To my eyes Dragon's Napalm is an intense fluro red colour. Noodler's Cayene is more of a "Mercurochrome color" and did forget to clean the blue out which really did muddy the colour so much that I had to clean it out later. Noodler's Habanero is a lighter version of Cayene and also Mercurochromish. D.Naplam so far is wetter than Cayene or Habanero and doesn't seem to shade much at all while the two oranges show a lot of shading.

vistafan
June 1st, 2012, 12:32 AM
Cool thread!

Safari
White
Black
Blue
Red
Yellow
Apple Green
Pink
Aquamarine
Griso (on its way)
Vista

Al Star
Coffee
Ocean Blue
Silver
Ruby Red
Raspberry
Purple Black
Silver Green
Silver Blue

Edited to add: Lamy 2000
Still need a Charcoal Safari and Graphite Al Star! I've lost hope in ever acquiring a Lime or Orange Safari at a reasonable price:(

tytoalba
June 1st, 2012, 08:31 AM
Again, thanks Maja. As cute as the ABC is, you've just saved me from an error; being allergic to the proteins in natural rubber, those finger grips are impossible for me to use. I'll just enjoy viewing them in the collections of pen friends. : )

Thanks for the color details Bogon. I have an orange Safari "on the way". Would like to dedicate a special color for exclusive use to avoid any muddying, or staining issues. Have you used these in Safari?

Vistafan, you have a stellar collection already! It just been my quiet thought, but with the new Apple green flooding the market, and the secondary release of Lime in other countries, I think the Lime value will drop.. so keep looking : )
Rather than just the bay, do keep an eye on classifieds. I often see collectors shifting focus, placing their random Safari examples for sale among other mid-range pens.
Unless Safari Never produces a purple or brown, I don't see myself moving into Al-Star. Wait I ought to add silver, or gold should they add that. In reality I love to Use my pens. Can't see them laying about as trophy's. I would have denied myself the smooth incredible pleasure of the dark blue italic just yesterday. What a great writing pen! :D I keep picking it to doodle a word something.

Finally, (sorry this is lengthy), I do see that FPN is back online today, but I came here 1st. Not sure exactly where to note this. But since Lamy forum is very comfy :D I just wanted to express my sincere thanks for the very warm, welcoming reception to all of Us from FPN <3 I'm quite sure my heart & brain are Geek shaped, whatever that is ; ). So if you'll have me, this will be a second residence. Viewing the "Geeks" at the shows, and listening to the poscast's, we're all on the same plane. Friendly enthusiasm with a desire to share, and help others be successful in their inky endeavors.
Thanks Geeks, You/We Are Cool!

Maja
June 1st, 2012, 02:08 PM
@ pen2paper---you're very welcome! :D I Sorry to hear about the rubber allergy....I checked the LamyUSA site and they say the Nexx M grip is "contoured rubber grip ". They describe the Lamy ABC as having "a non-slip, rubberised plastic grip." Whether the latter is natural rubber, I have no idea....Glad to hear that you have a Flame Safari on the way--enjoy!

Bogon07
June 1st, 2012, 05:07 PM
Hi & welcome, Vistafan. That is an extensive collection you have. I wouldn't give up hope of acquiring a Lime or Orange Safari at a reasonable price yet as Lamy seem to do limited releases of those. I think my Orange Safari is one of those released recently in Asia. It has a button or dot cap rather than the usual cross or +. The Charcoal is a real star in the Safari lineup the textured satin look is different from the rest of the line up.

Pen2Paper, my orange Safari is loaded with Habanero. I try to match the ink to the pen colour if I can.

tytoalba
June 1st, 2012, 06:02 PM
Maja, Lamy USA confirmed the Nexx was rubber. It's just best to avoid. I'm very pleased with my basic Safari's : )

Just inked the Charcoal this week. Just a super pen! Even though the ABS red, with black clip still looks great after rugged service, the Textured Charcoal appears superior.

Bogon, ink color dedicated to the rainbow range is my aim too. When the orange/silver clip arrives, will shoot an order to Goulet's. Thinking Meadow Green for the the Lime, Cactus for the new Green.
What inks look good in the Vista?

Bogon07
June 2nd, 2012, 05:24 PM
Pen2Paper, the Vista has only ever had Noodler's Aircorp BlueBlack in it.

tytoalba
June 2nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
Pen2Paper, the Vista has only ever had Noodler's Aircorp BlueBlack in it.
ok, now I need to know why - because you like viewing that color through the Vista?
I think I would put this in the black pen, and a brighter color in the Vista.
But, I don't yet have a Vista. I could be swayed.

Bogon07
June 4th, 2012, 05:20 PM
ok, now I need to know why - because you like viewing that color through the Vista?
I think I would put this in the black pen, and a brighter color in the Vista.
But, I don't yet have a Vista. I could be swayed.

Sorry here comes a boring reply.
Its the 1st Pen and 1st Ink purchased syndrome and I like Aircorp with a medium nib. You can see some colour nuances of the ink in the Vista.

For a brighter colour I'd maybe swap J.Herbin Vert Reseda into it.

Bogon07
June 14th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Picked up a Pink Safari with a B nib @ the PenShoppe.
Forgot to get a Z24 converter but I'm thinking of maybe re-using the Lamy cartridges instead. Besides I'll need a syringe to get ink out of those .J.Herbin bottle eventully.

Not writing terribly well for a B nib, it took quite a while to start and started out black and now is an interesting blue-black not the usual wishywashy Lamy blue !
Seems like some-one tried out a black ink with the pen in the shop. Needs a real flush out when I get home today.

tytoalba
June 16th, 2012, 06:13 PM
black ink in a pink safari...?
B nib too.. ought to have some wonderful two-toned wowser ink.

tytoalba
June 16th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Inked my 2012 Green with Diamine Meadow - perfection.

I also have Diamine Saddle in my Charcoal.
Diamine is 2 for 2 well-behaved in my Safari's.

Bogon07
June 17th, 2012, 03:49 AM
black ink in a pink safari...?
B nib too.. ought to have some wonderful two-toned wowser ink.
Cleaning indicated not only black ink cloging the guts but also a bit pink magenta appeared when tring to dry the feed system !!!
Any atleast it now writes in a more free flowing manner and the ink now looks properly Lamy blue.

tytoalba, congratulations on the Apple Green Safari + the Charcoal.

Lt. Tom
June 20th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Not what I'd call a collection, just a pair. (with a third on the way) But I only just started......

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2d801b3127ccef03cdbd3bb3100000030O00AcNWThozbN2 gPbz4A/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

- Tom -

tytoalba
June 20th, 2012, 03:26 PM
unlike "other pens", two safari's , particularly when photographed so very well, = collection : )

tytoalba
June 20th, 2012, 03:35 PM
well, as soon as my next safari arrives, I am done.
the terra/vannah/edish/pan/many will have to remain forever out there. too rich for me.
My pen box holds a finite amount.
Finally, I was Forced ; ) to spring for the Goulet special free shipping at a certain price, and including the package price for Vista 1.1, with converter, full sized bottle Lamy ink, and Rhodia dot pad..

Tom, Used my 2012 green yesterday. Diamine Meadow a perfect match - (not waterproof, but like the flow in Safari).

tytoalba
June 20th, 2012, 03:44 PM
wonder if the Pink Safari had been left with Noodler's Swan Roses, and not flushed before you found it?
Lots of flushing to remove every last bit.. I have Roses and Blue Heron - my G order included JB's pen flush for this very reason.

Bogon07
June 20th, 2012, 10:23 PM
wonder if the Pink Safari had been left with Noodler's Swan Roses, and not flushed before you found it?
Well, as soon as my next safari arrives, I am done.
Nah, too intense a pink to be BSiAR. Who knows how long the inks had been left in the pen.

"Well, as soon as my next safari arrives, I am done." ...... haha I don't know how may times I've thought that too.

A good start Lt Tom. What is the next colour ?

Lt. Tom
June 21st, 2012, 01:45 PM
I've ordered a blue one with a fine nib, and some ink. It left our local post office at 9:03 this morning, so it's in town, riding around in a truck somewhere. (Not that I've got the tracking page open and I'm frantically hitting "refresh" every 2 minutes or anything.......) I love the apple green and the yellow, but they are not the most business-like colors, so I ordered a nice dignified blue one to carry at work. That was my reasoning anyway. Of course I know myself better than that, I imagine every other pen I buy will be a Safari until I've got them all.............

Bogon07
June 22nd, 2012, 01:36 AM
Lt Tom, congratulations on the blue.
The Charcoal is a very business like colour and of course if you want to go over to the dark side the Shiny Black.

writingrav
June 22nd, 2012, 04:42 AM
Slowly but surely I am succumbing to the Lamy-flu. To the black Safari I added the blue a couple of weeks ago and last night ordered a yellow.

manoeuver
June 22nd, 2012, 05:30 AM
My sister has a yellow safari. I really liked it, didn't think I would.

If I get another Lamy I'd like a 2000. Maybe for my birthday. I do like that blue al-star though....

tytoalba
June 22nd, 2012, 05:30 AM
: D Safari is a hardy user pen, so I easily justify multiples, particularly since there are a variety of nib configurations, and so easily changed... I do take issue with the "disease" references to mulitples... though the, rainbow effect does seem to figure among my User Safari's ; )

Bogon07
June 25th, 2012, 11:28 PM

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/MF518/Lamy_Collection001.jpg

I forgot to mention a couple of custom-made Lamy barrels that are in the photo above. They were made by Penchetta Pens several years ago (not sure if he still makes them). Edit---just checked and it appears he still has them on his website: http://www.penworks.us//index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_28

Maja, the Bronze Studio looks a lot thinner than the Brushed Steel Studio in the photo!
I must remember not to wear brushed steel jeans in public.

ccb
July 2nd, 2012, 07:58 AM

writingrav
July 2nd, 2012, 08:17 AM
Wow. Just checked out Penchatta website and now have a few more possibilities on my wish list.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tytoalba
July 2nd, 2012, 08:45 AM
Wow. Just checked out Penchatta website and now have a few more possibilities on my wish list.

and these would be? : )

tytoalba
July 2nd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Quick clarification per info on the Geek podcast that I have all of the Safari colors. I do not.
I'm done actively seeking the remaining colors, unless they all but literally fall out of the sky for a song.
Savannah, Terracotta, 2nd issues of pink and lime, dark blue with yellow clip, white with red, black with yellow, and advertising types are missing. No Al-stars. Otherwise, what I have makes a very nice rainbow effect : )
I would add a newly issued pen with colors not yet represented, such as purple, dark green, brown).

writingrav
July 2nd, 2012, 09:30 AM
and these would be? : )

Well, first off the Twsbi mini when it hatches, a Franklin - Christophe desk pen if I don't win one next month and more Safari colors as I've just begun that little collection.

KrazyIvan
July 2nd, 2012, 11:10 PM
Well, first off the Twsbi mini when it hatches, a Franklin - Christophe desk pen if I don't win one next month and more Safari colors as I've just begun that little collection.

Ditto on the F-C. Been looking at it since seeing ethernautrix's (I think I spelled her handle wrong) review on FPN.

Bogon07
July 3rd, 2012, 06:03 PM
CCB, neat picture and a nice selection of Lamys too.

mmm that CP1 Fountain Pen - Titanium Oxide Black looks enticing, like a stealthy Logo.

kenmc
July 11th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I will see if I can figure out how to take a photo and post it tonight to go with my list:
3 - Safaris - two charcoal and one black
2 -Joys
1 - Nexx
1 - Vista
4 - Al-stars - coffee, blue, silver rb, silver fp
1 - 2000
3 - 25's
2 - 26's
1 - 27
2 - Liberty 47's
1 - 49
1 - 99
7 - Studios - 2 ss, 1 bronze, 1 blue, 1 Imperial blue, 1 black, 1 violet
Lamys are great value. If my count is correct, that's 29 and all 29 are great writers!
I really would like to get an Artus or two since they have a larger diameter body.
Oh! Forgot my Scribble lead pen! It writes every time too! :redface:

Bogon07
July 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM
That is a nice selection Kenmc.

You seem to be a real fan of the Studios ?
I've now captured two of them after being inspired by Krazy Ivan's photos and review of his black one and seeing a Violet in the window of the local pen emporium.

KrazyIvan
July 12th, 2012, 06:06 PM
and I see that you are now hypmotized by them. :D

Bogon07
July 13th, 2012, 12:01 AM
and I see that you are now hypmotized by them. :D
Yes. And you are partially responsible too. :pound:

I enquired about the price of the violet one yesterday.....atleast it was marginally cheaper than the white one.

snedwos
July 13th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Royal Red, Royal Red, Royal Red...

KrazyIvan
July 14th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Royal Red looks Royal Orange on my monitor.:confused:

Bogon07
July 15th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Royal Red looks Royal Orange on my monitor.:confused:

Oooh I just saw that Royal Red Studio on Ink Nouveau. It is a real orangy red !
As Nicky said on InkNouveau a Jaffa red. Might be time to start saving up.
That would have been a good colour to do an LE Al-Star in. :cry:

I think Noodler's Cayenne would go very well in it.

Markwil
July 22nd, 2012, 09:44 AM

Here is my modest collection. The red Safari with the Black clip was the first Lamy I ever bought, basically my first Fountain pen that I didn't have to use with cartridges!
The 2000 has an extremely smooth EF nib, I also have 3 2000 ballpoints, Blackwood, Ceramic and Yew wood.
Update April 29 2013
I now have a regular Lamy 2000 Ballpoint, and Mechanical Pencil. Still awaiting the Neon Yellow to come out next month. I hope it is not as aggressive a colour as the Lime Green.

Bogon07
July 22nd, 2012, 06:07 PM
Markwil, Nice collection. You've a few hard to get Safari models like the Orange with a red clip and the Lime LE. Does the Red have a black nib as well as the clip ?.

Is the one on the end an Accent ?

melissa59
July 22nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
Quick clarification per info on the Geek podcast that I have all of the Safari colors. I do not.
I'm done actively seeking the remaining colors, unless they all but literally fall out of the sky for a song.
Savannah, Terracotta, 2nd issues of pink and lime, dark blue with yellow clip, white with red, black with yellow, and advertising types are missing.

Ah...I thought that when you got your orange pen, it completed the set.

Mine Lamy Safari "collection" has recently grown. In addition to my green apple fine point, I've added a 1.5 pink and medium aquamarine, the last two purchased on eBay for $28 each including shipping. I will probably get a 1.1 italic nib as a stand-alone purchase. I likely won't purchase more pens until new colors are released. I would love a lavender or purple pen. I could also use a brown one as I think I'm going to really like brown ink.

With so many other colors to choose from, I have no idea why Lamy chose to rerelease the pink and lime green, unless they happened to find a stock pink and lime plastic tucked away in the warehouse.

Markwil
July 23rd, 2012, 09:37 AM
Markwil, Nice collection. You've a few hard to get Safari models like the Orange with a red clip and the Lime LE. Does the Red have a black nib as well as the clip ?.

Is the one on the end an Accent ?

The red does have a black nib, as well as this years green, Goulet's have an option to chose the nib size and colour! And the one at the end is an old Accent, the grip is some kind of fruitwood, very comfortable, I also have a ceramic feeling grip in black and white. The nib is a basic black steel F

Bogon07
July 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
The red does have a black nib, as well as this years green, Goulet's have an option to chose the nib size and colour! And the one at the end is an old Accent, the grip is some kind of fruitwood, very comfortable, I also have a ceramic feeling grip in black and white. The nib is a basic black steel F

Thanks Markwil.

I noticed on the Lamy site for the Accents - "With interchangeable grip section". Does that mean you can get buy the grips separately ?

The Accents with the brilliant black lacquer finish barrels look very nice too; especially the Briar Wood one.
It could be an LE with the gold nib.

Markwil
July 23rd, 2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks Markwil.

I noticed on the Lamy site for the Accents - "With interchangeable grip section". Does that mean you can get buy the grips separately ?

The Accents with the brilliant black lacquer finish barrels look very nice too; especially the Biar Wood one.
There used to be a larger selection of grips available, I haven't seen any lately. The briarwood is nice but if I had an Accent Brilliant I'd prefer the one with the rhodium rings!
I have heard that Lamy is supposed to be phasing out the Accent line which would be a shame!

KrazyIvan
July 24th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks Markwil.

The Accents with the brilliant black lacquer finish barrels look very nice too; especially the Biar Wood one.

for a pen that looks like a Parker Vector, it sure looks nice with that grip section.

Bogon07
July 24th, 2012, 04:54 PM
There used to be a larger selection of grips available, I haven't seen any lately. The briarwood is nice but if I had an Accent Brilliant I'd prefer the one with the rhodium rings!
I have heard that Lamy is supposed to be phasing out the Accent line which would be a shame!

The ringed one does look nice.
I saw a pen similar to yours on eBay with what they called a pear wood grip.
The local pen shoppe had a silver one with the blue grip. That blue appears a very intense colour better than the photos.

KI, Lamy have a bunch of pens with this basic shape but they don't seem to get much attention Accent, Logo, CP1, Pur

brandonh
August 13th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Safari etc family, missing a few

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8281/7727087020_8dd7f33ea6_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/7727087020/)

Lamy 2000 family, missing a few
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8426/7760536004_5ef078fde9_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/7760536004/)

Lamy 81
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8150/7631392454_d12ef76358_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/7631392454/)

Missing pics of the Scribble and Studio.

Bogon07
August 13th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Hi Brandonh, and welcome to the forum.

Now that is an impressive collection of Lamys. Thanks for posting them.
I didn't realise there was a Joy with pink trim and clip.

Wow you've a big pile of 2000s too.
The super shiny ballpoint(?) is the middle is very nice. Did they ever do a fountain pen version of that one ?

Looking forward to seeing your Studios as well.

etoyoc
August 13th, 2012, 06:32 PM
another nice Lamy collection!

brandonh
August 13th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I didn't realise there was a Joy with pink trim and clip.
It was the original Joy. A shiny black body and chrome clip version was released at the same time.

The super shiny ballpoint(?) is the middle is very nice. Did they ever do a fountain pen version of that one ?It's very heavy, almost too heavy to use. No fountain pen version. Ballpoint "limited" to 7,500 units.

Looking forward to seeing your Studios as well. Not much to see there--just the new Imperial Blue.

KrazyIvan
August 13th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Welcome to the forum. I read your piece on these on FPN and I was:jaw:

writingrav
August 13th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Great collection. Thanks for sharing!

Bogon07
August 13th, 2012, 10:23 PM
It was the original Joy. A shiny black body and chrome clip version was released at the same time.

It's very heavy, almost too heavy to use. No fountain pen version. Ballpoint "limited" to 7,500 units.

Not much to see there--just the new Imperial Blue.
Sometimes it must be tempting to swap that pink clip onto the pink Safari's cap.

Probably just as well for my CreditCard there wasn't a shiny black 2000 FP.
I thought the brushed stainless steel FP felt a bit too heavy for comfortable writing for any length of time.

Your Imperial Blue Studio is a dark blue-black isn't it ? Not the darkish turquoise as seen in a lot of photos.

tytoalba
August 14th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Yay! Brandon has arrived! : ) If that line up doesn't qualify for Geekdom, don't know what does.
Your Lamy 2k study would be very much appreciated here - H I N T

Btw clever use of the clear line to steady the clips, I'd given up trying to photograph my line-up.
Was considering taking them to the beach, and posing them in sand.

etoyoc
August 14th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Btw clever use of the clear line to steady the clips, I'd given up trying to photograph my line-up.
Was considering taking them to the beach, and posing them in sand.

I didn't notice the line when viewing on the Fire! I had to go back to look. I agree, that is a great solution to aligning the clips!

manoeuver
August 15th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Welcome to the forum. I read your piece on these on FPN and I was:jaw:link please? I searched and did not find.

KrazyIvan
August 15th, 2012, 08:53 AM
link please? I searched and did not find.

Here you are sir: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/227631-lamy-2000-and-the-origins-of-lamy-design/

manoeuver
August 15th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Thank you kindly Ivan.

Bogon07
August 15th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks for that link Ivan.

It is a very thorough and informative study for the 2000. I'm sure many Lamy2000 users will find it a handy reference.

Brandonh maybe your wonderful work could be linked or summarised in a separate post for easy access.

brandonh
September 13th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Have a nib shot!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8441/7983367982_59df437a45_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/7983367982/)

JustDaveyB
September 13th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Have a nib shot!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8441/7983367982_59df437a45_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/7983367982/)

Very nice. It is a real shame that Lamy don't sell their italic nibs in black, I would love to have for my black Lamy Studio.

Bogon07
September 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Brandonh that's a very photogenic barrel colour and nib arrangement.
MK beginner's nib in black too. Does it write sort of like an M ?

tytoalba
September 15th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Very nice. It is a real shame that Lamy don't sell their italic nibs in black, I would love to have for my black Lamy Studio.
Ditto Great shot! + Ditto Love the 1.1 nib - needs to be available in black.

KrazyIvan
September 17th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Awesome shot!

Bogon07
October 2nd, 2012, 04:34 PM
The Matt Black CP1 arrived from Goulet Pens yesterday. Superficially it looks like a Logo but appears to be a slightly more refined build. It is the same overall length but the cap and body dimensions are different and is slightly thinner too.

Optioned a black LH nib and loaded with Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel (not quite the crimson/magenta colour I imagined more an intense violet to match Dragon's Napalm). A very smooth writer and Mrs Bogon has given it her stamp of approval. I'll have to keep a close eye on this pen in case it goes 'missing'.

Petergly
October 2nd, 2012, 04:48 PM
The Matt Black CP1 arrived from Goulet Pens yesterday. Superficially it looks like a Logo but appears to be a slightly more refined build. It is the same overall length but the cap and body dimensions are different and is slightly thinner too.

Optioned a black LH nib and loaded with Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel (not quite the crimson/magenta colour I imagined more an intense violet to match Dragon's Napalm). A very smooth writer and Mrs Bogon has give it her stamp of approval. I'll have to keep a close eye on this pen in case it goes 'missing'.

I recently purchased a couple of LH nibs and fitted one to one of my Safari's. The first one wasn't crash hot - scratchy and stuttered - but the 2nd one is smooth and reliable. Quite impressed too. These were used nibs, as I paid only $8 each (I think) and there was some ink residue on them when they arrived.

Bogon07
October 2nd, 2012, 10:41 PM
I've accumulated 3 silver and 1 black LH nibs so far and they've all be smooth to write with. Even Mrs Bogon finds them smoother than the regular M nibs. The some o/s online shops give them as a no cost option but the Oz b&m shops want to charge another $20 or so on top of the pen's cost.

Lamy tests their pens with ink and I've noticed there is always a blue residue to be flushed out of any new Lamy I've bought.
Maybe they also test the nibs too.

Petergly
October 3rd, 2012, 05:40 AM
I've accumulated 3 silver and 1 black LH nibs so far and they've all be smooth to write with. Even Mrs Bogon finds them smoother than the regular M nibs. The some o/s online shops give them as a no cost option but the Oz b&m shops want to charge another $20 or so on top of the pen's cost.

Lamy tests their pens with ink and I've noticed there is always a blue residue to be flushed out of any new Lamy I've bought.
Maybe they also test the nibs too.

Mine are silver. That's interesting re Lamy testing - hadn't thought of that. Good to know - thanks. :-)

Bogon07
October 3rd, 2012, 05:33 PM
Mine are silver. That's interesting re Lamy testing - hadn't thought of that. Good to know - thanks. :-)

It can cause quite a shook if you forget to flush the test ink out and load up a light colour. I was really disappointed with Noodler's Cayenne when it came out brown instead of dark orange until I realised that I had enthusiastically filled the new pen without cleaning it out first.

brandonh
October 7th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Here's a set of NK Sweden variations. Note the red dot end caps that differentiate these from the Rakuten/Japan variations that have red clips but black crosses. Yellow is the "new" yellow. Shiny black with red in last photo is a Safari/Joy frankenlamy.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8035/8047883096_b66d13042f_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8047883096/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8040/8047876765_0832b62d2e_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8047876765/)

With regular production counterparts:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8032/8047877411_775e24ee1d_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8047877411/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8042/8047883840_d9b7653472_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8047883840/)

And with some other red clip variations:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8449/8047882304_c0698167be_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8047882304/)

brandonh
October 7th, 2012, 04:29 PM
And some Lamy Safari pastels with end cap variations
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8450/8047875891_dd94d2999b_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8047875891/)

Bogon07
October 7th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Brandonh, marvellous photos. Do the 'dot' caps indicate a re-release of a limited or special edition pen ?

The difference between the two yellows is very subtle. You'd have trouble identifying them if they were not side-by-side.
I would like to see a Custard Yellow in production.

brandonh
October 8th, 2012, 11:25 AM
The Flame (orange with red dot) and French blue (light blue with red dot) were annual color editions. The red, yellow, and charcoal pens with red dots and red clips were special production pens, limited to 350, for the NK department store in Sweden. There is also a white pen with red dot produced in Japan as a promotional pen to celebrate the 30th birthday of the Safari.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the orange and pink dots vs crosses--just different production variations. The dots came out before the crosses, then Lamy switched to colored crosses for the Aqua and Apple green pens. The original Lime pen came with a standard black cross, then was updated to a lime cross in a later run. The shiny black Lamy Joy with chrome clip has a black dot, too.

The older mustard pen with black clip was a standard issue, then was updated in 2010 to a lighter yellow with chrome clip. There is a transitional yellow pen that has the new body color and black clip (I've been hunting this on eBay and a few others sites, but I'm not willing to pay some of the exorbitant asking prices.

brandonh
November 8th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Another month, another few more Lamy pics

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8343/8166627419_a377375895_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8166627419/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8347/8166656704_20bfceb8ac_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8166656704/)

Bogon07
November 8th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Wow that is a very impressive collection of pens. You've got enough to play a fountain pen version of "pick-up-sticks".

I also marvel at your self control and discipline at leaving the labels on the pens. Any on mine last about 1-2 minutes.

The light blue Safaries look quite nice. Was there ever a light blue with a yellow clip ?

brandonh
November 15th, 2012, 01:34 PM
To my knowledge the light blue pen only ever had a red clip. The only yellow clip pens I know are the blue NK Sweden pen, the red 2012 China pen, and the Germany+Japan friendship pen.

brandonh
November 15th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Two fun pickups for a belated birthday present: a well worn first gen Lamy Safari and a NOS second gen Lamy 2000.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8069/8189254668_eae1626385_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8189254668/)
Two vintage Lamys 2012-11-15 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8189254668/) on Flickr

Bogon07
November 15th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Nice double present.
Is the Safari what they call Savanna ? It looks in pretty good condition from the photo.

My fingers are itching to rip the sticker off the 2nd generation 2000.

Will you be inking them up for test runs in the near future...

brandonh
November 15th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Yep, it's a Savannah. It's in rough shape; I'll need to clean it up and repair the inner cap before it goes in rotation.

The Lamy 2000 will be a safe queen for a while. It appears to have been dipped but not filled or used, so I'll probably only keep it for desk duty. The nib is 18K and looks like it is a stubby fine, so I may transplant it to another 2000 if I like the way it writes.

Those early Lamy stickers are fairly robust! I have a stickered Lamy 81 from the mid-70s that is still sticking (I bought it at the Miami Pen Show in July and have been using it since).

fountainpenkid
November 15th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I gotta get a lamy 2k someday. I could've before, but a OMAS paragon and a vintage aurora 88 called me. Now should I continue collection vintage DJ Vacs, or buy a lamy2k....I'll know at the philly pen show!

Bogon07
November 15th, 2012, 08:02 PM
The Lamy 2000 will be a safe queen for a while. It appears to have been dipped but not filled or used, so I'll probably only keep it for desk duty. The nib is 18K and looks like it is a stubby fine, so I may transplant it to another 2000 if I like the way it writes.

Could it have just been the usual Lamy blue ink nib test residue ?

brandonh
November 16th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Nope. :)

Toffer
January 17th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Hi guys just been reading this thread and getting jealous over your Safari collections! I was bought a red Safari for Christmas and just added the apple green one today! http://www.flickr.com/photos/91656147@N00/8389388115/in/photostream
Fancy a charcoal one next!!

Bogon07
January 20th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Toffer, neat start to your collection and Christmasy colours of red and green too.

I think you will really enjoy the Charcoal with a slight texture to the plastic which gives it a matt/satin look. Also it has a black nib.

The Vista is also another to consider and is great for viewing the ink colour and level.

brandonh
March 5th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Lamy Al-Star pearl came in the mail a few days ago. I agree that the color is champagne, not pearl. I asked the bride what color it is and she said "champagne, duh." Oh well. Although the light is bright in these pics, the color seems a fair representation.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8381/8530820057_4c56cf4734_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8530820057/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8094/8530820859_7bff98e05f_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8530820859/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8229/8531930688_8e314b58ab_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8531930688/)

Some comparison pics.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8226/8531930046_0654ebb0e4_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8531930046/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8097/8530820589_5c47aa1d91_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8530820589/)

Updated Al-Star group shot.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8370/8531929862_006417531d_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8531929862/)

Bogon07
March 5th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Yep Champagne not Pearl. Great pictures. Your one seems to have a more uniform surface texture than mine.

In some lights it could be called a pale silver olive colour.
I like the way your last photo shows how orange the Raspberry can look sometimes and at other times it appears a pale pink just like the silver-blue to looks more lilac most of the time.

Makes you wonder what the next Al-Star colour will be ? A metallic yellow, black or dark green. :confused:

cedargirl
March 5th, 2013, 05:22 PM
I feel under dressed in this thread!

I have two (yes - 2): apple green safari and an olive Nexx M (but I have three nibs, so can I saw two and a half?)

Bogon07
March 5th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I feel under dressed in this thread!

I have two (yes - 2): apple green safari and an olive Nexx M (but I have three nibs, so can I saw two and a half?)

Don't worry Safaris tend to breed in the pen draw.

Oh the olive Nexx M. The Nexx have a great body but I'm not convinced the cap does the pen any favours apart from being functional.
KMPN has a post on his blog saying the Olive will be replaced with an Opal Green this year. Not much of a change really just the cap colour.
http://kmpn.blogspot.com.au/
http://kmpn.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/lamy-2013-product-update.html

I was temped to buy extra nibs at first but it worked out cheaper to eBay a Safari pen with the nib I wanted from Malaysia or Singapore.

chadden
March 8th, 2013, 02:30 PM
OK, here we go. I started with a Lamy safari ballpoint in white that a coworker was using, then I bought a black matte Safari twin pen and a CP1 ballpoint in brushed stainless. Since then I have purchased quite a few:
Safari fountain in matte black, aqua, apple green, flame
The complete Vista line
2 Lamy Tri-pens that I bought from a dealer who picked them up at a store closing
Safari ballpoints in blue, red, aqua
2 Picos one in chrome one in gunmetal
1 Pickup
1 Logo fountain in brushed
1 Lamy Swift in blue
1 Tipo pencil in blue
1 Tipo rollerball in charcoal

Way too much. I was afraid to actually see everything listed!!
Sorry about the lack of photos; I have a hard time with that.

Toffer
March 8th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Definitely need pictures if you can sort it!! Nice collection though, mine keeps growing!!

woosang
March 13th, 2013, 02:27 PM
hahahhah

woosang
March 13th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Well here are some of my lamys... Only one studio not pictured because I bought the wrong nib so never inked it. (Am still trying to sell it) and only one Al-star

Missing in the pic is a yellow with red clip and an apple green I think... I know those two are in my pencil case
If anyone has the dark blue and black clip....:-) 1837

KrazyIvan
March 13th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Well here are some of my lamys... Only one studio not pictured because I bought the wrong nib so never inked it. (Am still trying to sell it) and only one Al-star

Missing in the pic is a yellow with red clip and an apple green I think... I know those two are in my pencil case
If anyone has the dark blue and black clip....:-) 1837

Nice collection!. Why not buy the correct nib for your Studio? Unless it's the gold nib?

Bogon07
March 13th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Wow Woosang that is a very impressive set of Safaris. I see the infamous flame Orange with red clip but no boring Orange with silver clip. Neat case too.
You need some more Al-Stars and a Vista to pimp up your collection.

What sort of Studio is it ?

brandonh
March 13th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Is there anything better than a Lamy pen group shot? I doubt it...

Toffer
March 14th, 2013, 02:55 AM
I think I need a case to keep mine in, its getting annoying trying to stop them all going down the back of the sofa! Where can you get the multiple pen cases like in Woosang's photo?

snedwos
March 14th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Is there anything better than a Lamy pen group shot? I doubt it...

A Pelikan group shot.

KrazyIvan
March 14th, 2013, 09:52 AM
I think I need a case to keep mine in, its getting annoying trying to stop them all going down the back of the sofa! Where can you get the multiple pen cases like in Woosang's photo?

Anderson Pens recently started selling some nice cases. I bought mine, that is really similar, on eBay from seller wkiffin. Here are some of the cases in his store. (http://stores.ebay.com/Wkiffin/Large-Pen-Cases-/_i.html?_fsub=4016283013&_sid=16420993&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322) I have the 12 pen case and have been very happy with it. No affiliation.

Bogon07
March 14th, 2013, 04:27 PM
A Pelikan group shot.

Get thee back to the Pelikan sub-forum !!!!!

woosang
March 27th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Jumping in to an old forum, but, no. Light lue was a piny type blue with a red clip and the aquamarine with silver clip.

I will never own the china 2012, the blue with yellow clip or the two originals, terra-cotta or savana. I otherwise have most, except the 2011 orange and the 2011 lime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bogon07
March 27th, 2013, 02:44 AM
You never know they might do a limited re-release of some of the rare pen colours as the did with the orange a couple of years ago.

It could be a good idea the way the collectables market is going. Look at the prices of Field Notes notebooks.

cedargirl
March 27th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Wow Bogon07, that's a serious affliction, whoops, I mean collection!

Bogon07
March 27th, 2013, 03:19 AM
Wow Bogon07, that's a serious affliction, whoops, I mean collection!
It was made much worse by discovering I could get them much cheaper from Malaysia, Singapore and sometimes UK with a converter & the nib of choice. Even so I still can't commit to a 2000.

How is your lot coming along ?

woosang
April 4th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I draw the line at $1000 for. Safari, no. not even I will do that. It's beyond stupid.

fountainpenkid
April 4th, 2013, 07:36 PM
I draw the line at $1000 for. Safari, no. not even I will do that. It's beyond stupid.

I totally agree! The most I think inexpensive pens with steel nibs should sell for is $500...anything more is RIDICULOUS!!

woosang
April 7th, 2013, 12:46 PM
For sure. I need to save for a Visconti anyway.....

southpaw52
April 8th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Excellent collections of Lamys, Bogen I like your selection the best.

woosang
April 8th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Too a photo of mine bar one:1995 a red with black clip. Hmm need to clean a few... Anyone want to sell me the white with red clip for a reasonable amount then contact me. :-)

Bogon07
April 8th, 2013, 04:28 PM
For sure. I need to save for a Visconti anyway.....
A Lamy Visconti ??? :bump2:

Woosang, that's a mighty fine collection of Safaris you've got there !

You've just about run out of capacity in that case but luckily you've snared just about everything.
Are the slots for the Savanna & Terracotta ? Maybe that rare Safari demonstator.....there was a thread on FPN that went on forever about that one.
Are you going to hunt down some Joys ?

Thanks Southpaw52, I'm waiting on my next two Safaris for a revised group shot.

woosang
April 8th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I have a black joy, not going after the white one. The case has a other side to fill.. The gap is in case I ever find the elusive expensive ones

Bogon07
April 8th, 2013, 06:55 PM
How about the black Joy with pink trim ? See Brandonh's collection. Another side....so there is plenty of room for Al-Stars.
At times I've thought about the black Joy with Aluminum/Aluminium cap, I think it comes as part of a calligraphy set with all the italic nibs.

Safari etc family, missing a few
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8281/7727087020_8dd7f33ea6_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/7727087020/)

Barbara
April 8th, 2013, 07:12 PM

Nice picture! :)

Barbara
April 8th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Wow! Incredible collections!
I only have one Lami: a Safari, yellow, fine nib.

Bogon07
April 8th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Wow! Incredible collections!
I only have one Lami: a Safari, yellow, fine nib.

Be careful, very careful they are known to multiply.

I think the yellow Safari is the Lamy pin-up these days. A clean bright modern plastic fountain pen with interchangable nibs and Bauhus styling.

Barbara
April 9th, 2013, 06:56 AM
I really like it! Sunshiny and happy pen! And in my favourite colour. Couldn't go wrong there! :)
Do they really multiply that easily? Like bunnies? I better start thinking of storage options. :) Or maybe I should just store my wallet under lock and key somewhere. Kids might need shoes.

Toffer
April 9th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Neon yellow Safari is now available at the writing desk and other retailers in the UK, looks like I will be getting out the wallet tonight!

Bogon07
April 9th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Barbara, I agree the yellow is the cheeriest of the Safais closely followed by the Apple Green.
I would be interesting to see happiness ratings of all the different colours available for the Safari.
If Lamy decides to redo some colours a lighter brighter pink would be good....if just to annoy everyone wanting a purple one.

Toffer that is good news.
I've ordered one from Stationery Art in HK and to celebrate a shiny Black from Malaysia as well so I'll be Safaried out till next years edition.

mmccabe_
April 24th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Those pictures... I'm at a loss of words. I need more - both to admire and to add to my collection.

Anywhoooo this is what I've rounded up so far.

Al-Stars
Aluminum
Black
Coffee (en route!)
Graphite
Ocean Blue
Pearl
Purple
Raspberry (en route!)
Ruby Red
Silver Green

Safaris
Apple Green (2012)
Aquamarine (2011)
Charcoal
Grisco
Lime Green (2008)
Neon Yellow (2013)
Orange (2009)
Pink (2009)
Red w/ Yellow Clip (China 2012)

Lamy Joy Calligraphy Set (3 exchangable nibs: 1.1, 1.5 and 1.9 mm)

woosang
April 25th, 2013, 12:26 AM
That is a sizeable collection :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

tytoalba
April 25th, 2013, 10:38 AM
wow mmcabe you're doing very well!
I haven't added any al-stars.. am so used to the ruggedness of ABS, wouldn't like to see a scratch in the metal version - just funny that way I guess.
The ruby/raspberry/purple have been Very tempting however.

Bogon, you have them All?!!! even terra/vanna now?

tytoalba
April 25th, 2013, 10:40 AM
That is a sizeable collection :)

wow woosang you are doing really well too! (had to scroll up to find your photo)

Bogon07
April 26th, 2013, 01:07 AM
I haven't added any al-stars.. am so used to the ruggedness of ABS, wouldn't like to see a scratch in the metal version - just funny that way I guess.

Nope, not the Terracotta nor the Savanna or any really rare stuff.
l have hopefully just misplaced the Blue Safari at work or else somehow lost it on the train earlier this week, it must have gotten jealous of the black Safari and Al-Star. :cry:

woosang
April 26th, 2013, 01:36 AM
l have hopefully just misplaced the Blue Safari at work or else somehow lost it on the train earlier this week, it must have gotten jealous of the black Safari and Al-Star. :cry:

NOOOOOO
At least it's a current colour one small consolation

tannie
April 26th, 2013, 03:11 AM
You all have such great collections :D

Mine looks like this:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8255/8621998148_22cc9e7d95.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tannie/8621998148/)
Fountain pens! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tannie/8621998148/) by tannie (http://www.flickr.com/people/tannie/), on Flickr

I still want a coffee & graphite Al-star, and maybe a black one (either Al-star or Safari), though I might go for the platinum desk pen (I want it for my platinum carbon black ink). Not pictured: Violet studio and red-capped ABC. And my other aquamarine.

KrazyIvan
April 26th, 2013, 08:37 AM

D'oh! I hope you find it soon.

Bogon07
April 27th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Thanks guys, I'll have a search on Monday.

Mine looks like this:

Fountain pens! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tannie/8621998148/) by tannie (http://www.flickr.com/people/tannie/), on Flickr

I still want a coffee & graphite Al-star, and maybe a black one (either Al-star or Safari), though I might go for the platinum desk pen (I want it for my platinum carbon black ink). Not pictured: Violet studio and red-capped ABC. And my other aquamarine.
Nice collection Tannie. Good luck with your Al-Star hunting. Pity the violet studio missed the photo shoot they are such beautiful pens.

brandonh
April 27th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Updated Al-Star collection.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8399/8686039793_e766ebce85_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8686039793/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8124/8686040041_1451ec0fbc_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8686040041/)

Bogon07
April 27th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Wonderful set of Al-Stars Brandonh. Did the Silver-Blue/Lilac ever come with a black clip like the silver-green ?

brandonh
April 28th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks! Not to my knowledge.

Here's an updated group shot. No dupes, but some minor variations:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7043/8688143221_bb6790a04d_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8688143221/)

And a pair of gratuitous glamour shots:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7050/8688141383_db3e77879b_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8688141383/)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7052/8689261774_2e46d78d03_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/8689261774/)

mmccabe_
April 28th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Sheeshh! I hope to someday have a collection like this. I'm drooling over these.

How long did it take you to acquire this lot Brandonh?

Bogon07
April 28th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Brandonh that is real Lamytopia and a wonderful arrangement to fit them all like that.

mmm they've only used the pink clip on a joy so far !

mmccabe_
May 1st, 2013, 09:27 PM
Woosang, do you have any more information about the black one with the red clip? I've only seen a few pictures of it and am having difficultly finding out about it! Is it another LE for Japan like the Friendship one (black with yellow clip)?

woosang
May 1st, 2013, 09:52 PM
Woosang, do you have any more information about the black one with the red clip? I've only seen a few pictures of it and am having difficultly finding out about it! Is it another LE for Japan like the Friendship one (black with yellow clip)?

Ooo I totally missed your question. The black with red clip I got it from this store In Japan. I don't know if its exclusive to Japan or not

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kyotobunguya/item/lamysafari-red/

Bogon07
May 1st, 2013, 10:39 PM
You could always buy the normal black safari & a black joy then swap the caps if you like the look.

Wasn't there something on FPN about these, IIRC they were part of Japanese custom order that was then not wanted so they then sold in the shops over there.
There may have been two other colours involved as well.

mmccabe_
May 1st, 2013, 10:58 PM
@ Woosang I don't think I'd consider a response time of 25minutes as missing my question :p

@Bogon07 Hmmm thats a good idea. Is yours a matte black or a glossy black? The only information I was able to find re: black w/ red clip was at KPMN's blog (http://kmpn.blogspot.com/2012/09/lamy-safari-with-red-dot-cap-top-2012.html). When I ran searches for it though the only place that seemed to be selling it and is asking for £95.00 which is about $150 has it as a glossy black (http://www.vintagepensacsandparts.com/product.php/152/9/lamy_safari_2012_black_japanese_limited_edition_fi ne_nib__mint__).

Any thoughts on this?

*Edit: Just got a response from the KMPN blog. It was sold in 2010 at the Taiwan Eslite Bookstore http://blog.eslite.com/ntu/archives/3436

Bogon07
May 1st, 2013, 11:47 PM
@ Mmccabe_ I both the Safari & the Joy are glossy black but not the red clip glossy Black Safari. I'm not obsessive enough to pay above a normal Safari price for one.

The matt black is usually referred to as a Charcoal by Lamy in Oz and has a slightly textured surface.

In shops (Dymocks for instance) with odd lighting it can look almost like an Al-Star, Actually you're hard pressed to tell the difference between the Charcoal Safari and the new Black Al-Star in Brandh's post(post#151) as they both have black clip. I'd guess the Charcoal is at the top and Al-Star below it.

Sorry I went off track a bit.

woosang
May 2nd, 2013, 12:15 AM
@ Woosang I don't think I'd consider a response time of 25minutes as missing my question :p

@Bogon07 Hmmm thats a good idea. Is yours a matte black or a glossy black? The only information I was able to find re: black w/ red clip was at KPMN's blog (http://kmpn.blogspot.com/2012/09/lamy-safari-with-red-dot-cap-top-2012.html). When I ran searches for it though the only place that seemed to be selling it and is asking for £95.00 which is about $150 has it as a glossy black (http://www.vintagepensacsandparts.com/product.php/152/9/lamy_safari_2012_black_japanese_limited_edition_fi ne_nib__mint__).

Any thoughts on this?

*Edit: Just got a response from the KMPN blog. It was sold in 2010 at the Taiwan Eslite Bookstore http://blog.eslite.com/ntu/archives/3436

Oh? I thought it was longer. Rest assured I only paid $38 for the black pen in question. Alas the ones outstanding in my collection are prohibitively expensive

tannie
May 2nd, 2013, 07:03 AM

Mine looks like this:

Nice collection Tannie. Good luck with your Al-Star hunting. Pity the violet studio missed the photo shoot they are such beautiful pens.

It went out partying and did not invite me ;)

Bogon07
May 2nd, 2013, 04:21 PM

Mine looks like this:

It went out partying and did not invite me ;)

It is probably waiting for it's own photo shoot because you have to get the lighting just right to capture that satin finish.

Joker
May 3rd, 2013, 10:55 PM
:faint: Wow these are really great collections I just fainted looking at them. I bought a yellow one just thinking that if I dropped it at work I could see it. I just wish they would make a British Racing Green one.

Hez
May 4th, 2013, 04:00 AM
I just started collecting about a month ago. I think it's grown fairly fast.

Since its Friday, most are filled with my blue-black samples, trying to see which will be most work friendly.

Pearl LE al-star ss 1.1 nib
Charcoal safari B black nib
Apple green LE safari ss 1.5 nib
Black al-star LE black B nib
Neon yellow safari LE SS B nib
Yellow safari B SS nib
Deep blue 1.9 ss nib
Pink LE (I think, has dot cap) SS f nib

whych
May 7th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Since you guys are intent (obsessed?) sith the modern pens, here are a couple of older ones.
Besides the Al-Star, the black is a 27 with gold nib and the turquoise one is a Ratio. (Both piston fillers)
The steel one is a duo pen/pencil.
Somewhere around I have a black Safari duo pen

woosang
May 7th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Not all modern, I use a 1960s lamy 99E as a daily writer at work. Smooth as silk that pen :-)

whych
May 7th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Not all modern, I use a 1960s lamy 99E as a daily writer at work. Smooth as silk that pen :-)
I thought I would show the Safari/Al-Star modern guys that there are other Lamys around. ;)
The Safari/Al-Stars are not bad modern pens but they are too thick to fit the pen loop in my Filofax, so I rarely use them. Thier Italic nibs are still the best cheap option for a decent, smooth writing italic around.
Your 99E must be getting a bit cranky and/or jealous that he never joined the group photo. ;)
You say you are looking for a blue al-star/safari with black clip.
You could probably crib it by swapping the clip from one of the black pens (I think it unscews)

Bogon07
May 7th, 2013, 04:23 PM
The Safari/Al-Stars are not bad modern pens but they are too thick to fit the pen loop in my Filofax, so I rarely use them. Thier Italic nibs are still the best cheap option for a decent, smooth writing italic around.

You could have a look at the tubular Lamys - the CP1, Logo, Linear, Pur or Accent as they will take and are much thinner.

snedwos
May 7th, 2013, 04:44 PM
This is my lowly collection. Also a charcoal Safari that I gave to my mother.

They are chewed and beaten, but very very well-loved (my chewing habit has almost disappeared, thanks in no small part to these poor pens.)
I bought none of them. They were all acquired from my school's lost property box. Abandoned by their purchasers, I took them in, gave them a home, more exciting nibs and converters.

Terrible, terrible phone pic.

whych
May 7th, 2013, 04:57 PM
You could have a look at the tubular Lamys - the CP1, Logo, Linear, Pur or Accent as they will take and are much thinner.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not that much of a Lamy user to warrant the extra outlay.
I either use a Reform or a Pelikan Silvexa or Pelikano which fit OK.
Other than a couple of Al-Stars the only other modern new pen I have bought recently is a Kaweco Sport.
All the others are old German piston fillers.
I discovered I can get a decent OM nib version for most with a bit of patience. (OB is more common.)

Like I said, I added the older pens to remind everyone that there were older Lamys around that aren't cartridge fill pens.
Of course, you also need one of these old bottles of ink to fill them ;)

woosang
May 7th, 2013, 05:00 PM
I thought I would show the Safari/Al-Star modern guys that there are other Lamys around. ;)
Your 99E must be getting a bit cranky and/or jealous that he never joined the group photo. ;)
You say you are looking for a blue al-star/safari with black clip.
You could probably crib it by swapping the clip from one of the black pens (I think it unscews)

Ah it's In my work bag so it doesn't know.. I wouldn't butcher a pen to make an edition that I don't have.. :-/ it's ok that my collection is not complete

woosang
May 7th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not that much of a Lamy user to warrant the extra outlay.
Other than a couple of Al-Stars the only other modern new pen I have bought recently is a Kaweco Sport.
I discovered I can get a decent OM nib version for most with a bit of patience. (OB is more common.)

Like I said, I added the older pens to remind everyone that there were older Lamys around that aren't cartridge fill pens.

That's a great bottle!!

fountainpenkid
May 7th, 2013, 05:20 PM

That's a great bottle!!
Agreed!

whych
May 7th, 2013, 05:41 PM
This is my lowly collection. Also a charcoal Safari that I gave to my mother.

They are chewed and beaten, but very very well-loved (my chewing habit has almost disappeared, thanks in no small part to these poor pens.)
I bought none of them. They were all acquired from my school's lost property box. Abandoned by their purchasers, I took them in, gave them a home, more exciting nibs and converters.
We all have to start somewhere, so don't worry about it.
Try not to chew the pen - think what it will be worth in good condition in 20 years time. ;)

That's a great bottle!!

Thanks. I got the ink for the bottle. The plastic insert is a simple idea that allows you to use the last of the ink without doing all kinds of tricks with the bottle. Especially with piston fillers that need two hands.
There were 2 blue and 2 turquoise that kept coming up by the same seller that never sold, so I made him an offer. Discovered after getting them the blue bottles were only half.
The turquoise doesn't grab me, so I'll decant it into an empty bottle and use the Lamy bottle for an ink I do use regularly. The blue on the other hand seems a lot nicer than I remember the Lamy blue carts that came with the pen were. I'll try and find a blue cart and give a sample of the 2 blues (old and current).
Ended up repatriating a blue and turquoise by swapping with a guy in Germany for a bottle of MB midnight blue and a Pelikan blue black, so we were both happy.

If I come across an all black Lamy, I'll let you know.

woosang
May 7th, 2013, 10:57 PM

])

Here it is

Bogon07
May 8th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Woosang interesting bit of Lamy history there. And what type of mechanical pencil is that lurking in the top corner ?

woosang
May 8th, 2013, 03:23 AM
Woosang interesting bit of Lamy history there. And what type of mechanical pencil is that lurking in the top corner ?

Oh that's a kura toga brilliant pencil

Bogon07
May 10th, 2013, 04:19 AM

Oh that's a kura toga brilliant pencil

A silver Roulette perhaps ? Looks similar to my black version.

woosang
May 10th, 2013, 04:21 AM
It turns. I have silver metal and a red plastic one. The ratchet system is Awesome

whych
May 14th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Knew it would appear.
A Lamy Safari duo-pen.
Ball pen and pencil.

Toffer
May 14th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Received a white safari with ef nib yesterday so my Safari collection currently looks like this: 2720 I think I would like a blue one next!

Bogon07
May 14th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Toffer, that is a goodly selection of Safarii. A couple of black clips too.:)

Toffer
May 14th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Thanks, now will have to use the neon yellow and charcoal to reply to your letter which I receive today, thanks for the paper samples too!

whych
May 14th, 2013, 06:28 PM
As a non modern Lamy collector, what is the significance of the 'black clip'?

brandonh
May 14th, 2013, 08:41 PM
In 2010, Lamy updated the Safari clips from black to chrome on all of the standard production colors except for the Safari Charcoal and Al-Star Aluminum. Of course there have been some deviations, such as the Joy line and this year's Al-Star Black.

Also in 2010, Lamy refreshed the Yellow Safari to a lighter color. It was briefly produced with a black clip before taking up the chrome clip. The new Yellow with black clip is referred to as a Transitional Yellow.

The Al-Star Silver-Green came with a black clip (discontinued 2008) before switching to a chrome clip (discontinued 2010).

brandonh
May 14th, 2013, 08:47 PM
How long did it take you to acquire this lot Brandonh?
Just shy of five years. I bought my first AL-Star Graphite in May 2008, but swapped it the same day for an Aluminum. I took delivery of my most recent Al-Star Black and Safari Neon in April 2013.

mmccabe_
May 20th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Here's my collection of Al-Stars :) sorry for the poor photo quality, need to find my camera just for this forum! 2858

Bogon07
May 20th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Mmccabe_ that is a good collection of Al-Stars but you've used up all the slots on your pen rack.
What happens if Lamy release a new one next year or you find a silver-blue/lilac ? :shocked:

countrydirt
May 26th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I thought my 4 were excessive, guess not;)

Bogon07
May 26th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I thought my 4 were excessive, guess not;)

Nah, excessive is multiples of the same colour. :)

biancac
May 29th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Hellos! It appears I am among friends here. Just joined the site tonight, and thought I would add my little guys to the list. Really wish I had an orange, I think it would go so nicely with all my brights. Looking around here and there, but not feeling the $65+ "need" for one yet :D I usually keep them in a fancy pen box, but was playing with them (re-inking) tonight.

7 Safaris
5 Al Stars
1 Studio

thagbert
May 29th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Hellos! It appears I am among friends here. Just joined the site tonight, and thought I would add my little guys to the list. Really wish I had an orange, I think it would go so nicely with all my brights. Looking around here and there, but not feeling the $65+ "need" for one yet :D I usually keep them in a fancy pen box, but was playing with them (re-inking) tonight.

7 Safaris
5 Al Stars
1 Studio

Nice collection!

You should introduce yourself in the new members thread.

Welcome to the fold!

Bogon07
May 30th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Hi Biancac & welcome, this is a goodly collection of pens especially the Violet Studio and the Coffee Al-Star (the pen that started my attraction to Lamy).

mmccabe_
June 2nd, 2013, 08:49 PM
That's when I get the perfect excuse to find a better pen display :) I picked this waterfall one up from Amazon for $13.50 so am pretty content with it for now considering the price.

Bogon07
June 3rd, 2013, 08:34 PM
A new one for Brandonh to chase down. :)

KMPN site has pictures of the 2013 Taiwan Eslite Bookstore special edition White Joy calligraphy set.
Similar to normal white Joy except for the red clip and dot cap. Same grey insert on the tip of the barrel and ring as the regular one.
I think his top two photos show the red being a bit to orangy; the third with a closeup of the cap is probably more a correct red.
http://kmpn.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/lamy-white-joy-set-special-edition-2013.html

brandonh
June 4th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Don't worry. I'm already on it.

mmccabe_
June 7th, 2013, 09:53 AM
A few new acquisitions and finally posting the safari's :)

da vinci
June 8th, 2013, 03:19 AM
In 2010, Lamy updated the Safari clips from black to chrome on all of the standard production colors except for the Safari Charcoal and Al-Star Aluminum. Of course there have been some deviations, such as the Joy line and this year's Al-Star Black.

Also in 2010, Lamy refreshed the Yellow Safari to a lighter color. It was briefly produced with a black clip before taking up the chrome clip. The new Yellow with black clip is referred to as a Transitional Yellow.

The Al-Star Silver-Green came with a black clip (discontinued 2008) before switching to a chrome clip (discontinued 2010).

Wow thats great knowledge. Is there a particular source where all this type of background information on models is written down? I am getting interested in Lamy's (but only have 2 1.1 nibbed safaris - a black and a charcoal, and the neon limited edition for 2013 so far).

brandonh
June 10th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Not really. I've picked it up in bits and pieces collecting over the years. In this case, the information came from Lamy catalogs and me taking note when the switch occurred. There are two long and winding threads on Fountain Pen Network that have good information, to be found floating near the top of the Pen History section. The blogger at kmpn.blogspot.com has good information. Lamy itself has some information in a few places on its website.

I have thought about doing a long review of the Safaris in the same style as the long Lamy 2000 article I did last year, but I don't know if there is much interest outside of a few hobbyists. I'm writing a follow-up to the Lamy 2000 piece this summer. Maybe Safari is a project for Summer 2014...

Toffer
June 10th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Not really. I've picked it up in bits and pieces collecting over the years. In this case, the information came from Lamy catalogs and me taking note when the switch occurred. There are two long and winding threads on Fountain Pen Network that have good information, to be found floating near the top of the Pen History section. The blogger at kmpn.blogspot.com has good information. Lamy itself has some information in a few places on its website.

I have thought about doing a long review of the Safaris in the same style as the long Lamy 2000 article I did last year, but I don't know if there is much interest outside of a few hobbyists. I'm writing a follow-up to the Lamy 2000 piece this summer. Maybe Safari is a project for Summer 2014...

Do it do it! :)

da vinci
June 10th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the reply & +1 from me on the project!

Jon Szanto
June 10th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Some day, there will come a time when I will understand why people acquire many examples of a pen that all look exactly the same, but today is not that day.

Bogon07
June 11th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Some day, there will come a time when I will understand why people acquire many examples of a pen that all look exactly the same, but today is not that day.
Simple, because they are different colours & different nibs.

whych
June 11th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Part of the reason the manufacturers make minor changes to the pen: colour, clip, etc is to get the purist collector who wants a complete collection of all the models to buy another pen.

Sailor Kenshin
June 11th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Color color color!

Nexx:
Pink cap, F
Coral cap, M

AlStar:
Blue, M
Pearl, B (I thinnnkkk?)

Safari:
NOS pikachu yellow/black, M
Blue, M
Red, F
Modern Yellow, XF
Charcoal, 1.1
Pink, M
Aquamarine, B
Apple Green, B
Neon Yellow, M (reaaallly shoulda been a 1.1 but this'll change)

Want:
Coffee alStar
Silver Green AlStar
Terracotta Safari
Savannah Safari

And maybe a black 2000. I dunno.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8243/8538416425_c1c29a830e_z.jpg

Tony Rex
June 11th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Safari:
NOS pikachu yellow/black, M

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5333/9014821879_367b6f2e92_z.jpg

Tony

Jon Szanto
June 11th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Uh, yeah, I know that. That is the easy part to figure.

But your "different" color looks like everyone else's. Unlike celluloid pens - an easy example would be Esterbrooks, another cheap and easily collected pen - there is no variation in looks. Every red Esterbrook J looks different, is unique in some fashion.

This must be more like when people collected Beanie Babies, or Cabbage Patch dolls, being manipulated by the manufacturers...

whych
June 11th, 2013, 11:46 AM
But your "different" color looks like everyone else's. Unlike celluloid pens - an easy example would be Esterbrooks, another cheap and easily collected pen - there is no variation in looks. Every red Esterbrook J looks different, is unique in some fashion.
Whereas the celluloid differences were a result of the processing in that no two were exactly the same, with Lamy the changes are deliberate.

The car manufacturers do the same over the lifetime of a model - little changes that make people want the latest model.
I should imagine that collecting Lamys is not a bad way to go since they are reasonably cheap to buy new. Some of the more unusual models from a couple of years ago are now worth more than a current new one.

Sailor Kenshin
June 11th, 2013, 12:18 PM

This must be more like when people collected Beanie Babies, or Cabbage Patch dolls, being manipulated by the manufacturers...

I never collected either one. I am not being 'manipulated,' lol. I like the colors. I like the many nibs. I like the look of the pen.

Simply because people like different things does not mean we are glazed-eyed zombies going, 'Yesssss, Massasterrrr.'

Jon Szanto
June 11th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Whereas the celluloid differences were a result of the processing in that no two were exactly the same, with Lamy the changes are deliberate.
Yes, understood. This would be very similar to the use of colored plastics in 1950's-60's era Sheaffers, and the Parker 51.

The car manufacturers do the same over the lifetime of a model - little changes that make people want the latest model.
I should imagine that collecting Lamys is not a bad way to go since they are reasonably cheap to buy new. Some of the more unusual models from a couple of years ago are now worth more than a current new one.
Well, the bolded part is what I referred to: manipulation. I do realize there are a few models that have gained value, as any collectible will (like Barbies).

I never collected either one. I am not being 'manipulated,' lol.
So say you. ;)

I like the colors. I like the many nibs. I like the look of the pen.
Fair enough. Horses for courses, and all that.

Simply because people like different things does not mean we are glazed-eyed zombies going, 'Yesssss, Massasterrrr.'
Liking different things is not the issue. Well, maybe it is, when you people like the same exact thing, over and over. Take note when they offer a new Safari that differs only in color, and each and every one will look the same.

I understand it is an aesthetic sweet spot for people, many really *do* love this pen. I'm just trying to understand the many aspects of collecting, this niche being one of them. I don't think there is anything wrong with any of this, because there is obvious joy in it.

whych
June 11th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Of course it's manipulation - it's easier and cheaper to make little changes than it is to design a new pen.
Of course, if you want to get even more picky about the 'manipulation' bit, why do people want to buy the modern nail nib MB when a Lamy or other cheap pen will perform the same. ;)
In the one instance the manipulation is from the manufacturer and in the other by our peers for the status symbol.

Bogon07
June 11th, 2013, 06:45 PM

I think we could start up a whole topic of pen collecting philosophy in the broader sense under the general pen forum.
Every person on this forum will have their own set of reasons for owning more than one pen.

I have only my own frame of reference on collecting Lamy Safari & Al-Star pens.
I like the basic shape of the pens, they are comfortable, fairly robust and will write in a consistant way that I like.
They have a range of interchangable nibs. And I realised that I can order a whole Safari pen with a converter from overseas at a similar price to a nib here in Australia so this is part of the reason for having a bunch of them.
I like the idea of having easily colour identifiable pens loaded with different inks.
I find the Lamy colour range interesting.
Collecting the new LE editions gives me something to look forward to. Along with the fun of wondering what the next colour it will be.
Like some animals they look better in a herd.

I don't care that my red or green pen is the same as the one everybody else as I'm not trying to amass a unique or elite collection.
In fact the beauty of these Lamy is that they are uniform, unlike the celluliod patterned pens where due to a random event in the manufacturing process you could get a fantastic looking pen or a very ordinary one.

Doesn't just about every other manufacturer ofter the same pen in different colour variations or the same black pen in size variations.

woosang
June 12th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Ken summed it up for beautifully. I will shorten it to "because I want to" I will never understand paying >$250 for a pen but if you want to and I see something you have been looking for, I would happily tell you. Why do I collect ink? I enjoy it. Just because it makes me happy.

Sailor Kenshin
June 12th, 2013, 08:21 AM
OT! Sorta, but I changed my first Lamy nib yesterday! I am soooo excited! :D

jacksterp
June 12th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Ken summed it up for beautifully. I will shorten it to "because I want to" I will never understand paying >$250 for a pen but if you want to and I see something you have been looking for, I would happily tell you. Why do I collect ink? I enjoy it. Just because it makes me happy.

Pens and inks make me happy as well.

Thanks for reminding me!

brandonh
June 29th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I picked up this fun one on eBay this week. Original Lamy Safari packaging from the early 80s when it was launched. For white pens, the plastic end pieces where white. Same pen/packaging matching with green and orange.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5441/9165423319_0de8689044_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/9165423319/)

Interior shot...
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2830/9167644900_3f441a5c9c_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/9167644900/)

Two-fer! Original box, plus a promo pen. This specimen is a rollerball.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3689/9165424435_aec4d0f54e_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/9165424435/)

First time I've seen the W. Germany stamp on the barrel of the Safari...
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2879/9165424851_d640415d01_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/9165424851/)

…usually it is just on the end cap.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7394/9165425265_b39b40a03d_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/9165425265/)

jacksterp
June 29th, 2013, 08:06 PM
The packaging alone is worth the price of admission. A remarkable find.

PenSilvania
July 1st, 2013, 12:45 PM
Hi I´ve seen some nice Lamy

http://www.ebay.de/itm/330948594615?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
http://www.ebay.de/itm/330948595315?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
http://www.ebay.de/itm/330948595984?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Bogon07
July 3rd, 2013, 10:15 PM
Brandonh, that is very Safari packaging :).
What is the pen made of ? It appears a silver grey in some photos and black in others.

Hi I´ve seen some nice Lamy
http://www.ebay.de/itm/330948594615?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
http://www.ebay.de/itm/330948595315?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
http://www.ebay.de/itm/330948595984?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Interesting, the 2nd one looks like a Charcoal rather than shiny Black.

Toffer
July 5th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Hi guys, haven't been on here for a while! Has anyone else seen the pink safari is bring re-released?

brandonh
July 5th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I don't feel compelled to buy every last piece of Lamy ephemera I see, but this was just too bad to let go. I mean, who thought this was a good sticker idea? Those early-mid-90s were wild times.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2832/9218772268_aa7f093454_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamy2000/9218772268/)

Just terrible.

Adhizen
September 3rd, 2013, 07:22 PM
Here here is my collection from the Lamy-verse :) there are some ballpoints and rollerballs in the photo :). I really like most of 2000 and the Dialogues....

Video11
September 4th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Nice slide rule.

Now we are really getting geeky, fountain pens and slide rules. Woo hoo!

Rick

Adhizen
September 5th, 2013, 07:22 AM
:) couldn't help it....

Nice slide rule.

Now we are really getting geeky, fountain pens and slide rules. Woo hoo!

Rick

PointyThings
September 15th, 2013, 06:44 PM
A few mostly older Lamy extras heading to the Dallas Pen Show this coming weekend.

heath
September 27th, 2013, 02:57 PM
My humble collection. I'm happy with it.

amk
October 4th, 2013, 01:39 PM
My Lamy collection is rather heavily skewed to the top of the range:

Vista
2000 M
2000 'BBBBB' (lovely nib)
2000 2k limited edition
2000M
2000 blackwood ballpoint
Accent with platinum hoops
Accent with briarwood
Accent briarwood rollerball

I'm not sure Lamy does a BBBBB, but it sure writes like it!

Bogon07
October 10th, 2013, 03:59 PM

Vista
2000 M
2000 2k limited edition
2000M
2000 blackwood ballpoint
Accent with platinum hoops
Accent with briarwood
Accent briarwood rollerball

Nice collection of 2000s.

We both have the Briarwood Accent in common; how do you like the mechanism to unscrew the section to access the converter/cartridge ?

lisantica
January 6th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Such wonderful pens in this thread. Here are my three, top to bottom:
Al-Star, Lamy 2000, Safari
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/07/arydu8ad.jpg

Bogon07
January 7th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Lisantica, what type of nib do you have for your 2000 ?

tandaina
January 7th, 2014, 08:56 PM

I was gonna say, is this a thing? Cause I need that nib. I want that nib! Where can I get one of these BBBBB 2000s??

Jon Szanto
January 7th, 2014, 09:04 PM
What are you doing, billboards?

lisantica
January 8th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Lisantica, what type of nib do you have for your 2000 ?

I bought the broad point. It's slick as ice!

da vinci
January 8th, 2014, 04:39 PM

I was gonna say, is this a thing? Cause I need that nib. I want that nib! Where can I get one of these BBBBB 2000s??

I have a BB on my 2k (think 1.5x the size of a 144 mb BB). Its not a nib its a paintbrush so i dread to think what a 5B would be like :)

kaisnowbird
January 8th, 2014, 08:25 PM

I have a BB on my 2k (think 1.5x the size of a 144 mb BB). Its not a nib its a paintbrush so i dread to think what a 5B would be like :)

A paint roller.

snedwos
January 9th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Might as well save 150 bucks and just pour.

Uncle Bud
January 17th, 2014, 03:20 PM
I much prefer the Al-Star to the Safari, so my all time favorite was the coffee. I've just managed to get my hands on one, and it's on its way, can't wait!

lisantica
January 19th, 2014, 08:41 AM
My collection today.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/19/pamahase.jpg

brandonh
March 26th, 2014, 03:51 PM
All my Al-Stars.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5057/13434579854_8642cd5b41_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/mtaJx9)

Bogon07
March 26th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Brandon, another great photo as usual. The new BlueGreen is another one of those hard to capture colours - it looks more mint green in photos.
I must try in with the work photocopier. The photocopier made the silver-blue actually appear than colour instead of the usual silver-mauve.

Looks like you will need to invest in a new Lamy pen case for your collection.

amk
March 27th, 2014, 08:17 AM
'BBBBB' is the only way I can describe the nib... you can get one from Oxonian aka John Sorowka, our home-grown UK n*bme*ster (not allowed to call him that but you get the idea).

How I got it is classic. I was looking at his display at a pen show and said, heh heh heh, that's a Lamy 2000, I don't need another one of them. And he said oh yes you do. Try it.

And I was hooked.

And I have now got a Taxus ballpoint to go with the blackwood, and a regular L2000 ballpoint, and an Accent pencil.

Darn it, you know something, these things are almost as dangerous as Parker 51's ... (and let's not go there!)

gregamckinney
April 14th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Can't get my phone to take even decent photos, but here is my collection of Safaris (and AL Stars, and a Vista.)
Not in the photo: a 2000LE, a 2000 steel reissue and a white Studio

The pen in the plastic sleeve is the Bastian Schweinsteiger model.

http://gergyor.com/images/lamy-safaris-2014-04-14.JPG

Best Regards, greg

Faustine
April 15th, 2014, 05:25 PM
I love this thread :cheers:

Some of my pens are in this thread (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/6187-Write-the-Rainbow-my-Lamy-Safari-pens).

chad.trent
April 26th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Here are mine. Just starting to get into the limited editions and hard to find models. Have a ruby al-star on the way.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/27/u5agymuz.jpg

Bogon07
April 26th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Here are mine. Just starting to get into the limited editions and hard to find models. Have a ruby al-star on the way.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/27/u5agymuz.jpg
You've built up an impressive collection already. The Ruby Red is a really nice looking pen in the hand. There is also a much paler Raspberry you may like to watch out for as well.

chad.trent
April 26th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Yeah. I've been scouting ebay for the harder to find ones. I just have to pace myself though. Limiting myself to one pen a month.

Sailor Kenshin
April 28th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Those look GREAT.

Lady Onogaro
April 30th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Goulet now has the Neon Coral, if anyone is looking for that.

VertOlive
April 30th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Goulet now has the Neon Coral, if anyone is looking for that.

Just ordered it a few minutes ago, 1.1 nib, with some Diamine Coral ink...

Really wish they'd put out another like the Savannah Green!!!

Lady Onogaro
April 30th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Hey, Vert--I asked them about the neon coral cartridges that I saw in a British blogger's review. They say they will have those in the next week. They are pretty!

VertOlive
April 30th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Hey, Vert--I asked them about the neon coral cartridges that I saw in a British blogger's review. They say they will have those in the next week. They are pretty!

Oooh, didn't know about this development! Who makes this ink?