PDA

View Full Version : Ink colors for extra fine nibs?

Toulouse
April 14th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Other than blacks and reds, what ink colors/brands do you use with your extra fine nibs? I'm looking for something suitable for letter writing and for colors that won't look black.
Thanks!

mtnbiker62
April 14th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I like Iroshizuku inks, and Ama-iro works pretty well in fine and extra fine nibs. I even occasionally see a little bit of shading, which is unusual with fine nibs.

Lady Onogaro
April 14th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Hey, Toulouse--I like Pilot Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shikibu in my EF TWSBI Mini, and I have also used Private Reserve Purple Mojo. Waterman Mysterious Blue is also nice.

bleunuitguy
April 15th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Try these - they all work well in my Lamy Al-Star with EF nib:

Diamine Asa Blue - I experience some shading with this one
Private Reserve Black Magic Blue - a dark purple/blue that looks great with the EF nib (no shading)
Rohrer and Klinger Salix and Scabiosa - some subtle shading with EF and the colors are beautiful
Montblanc Toffee Brown
Sailor Jentle Epinard - a dark green ink - reminds me a bit of the famed Montblanc Racing Green

Toulouse
April 15th, 2014, 10:21 AM
All great suggestions. Two of them I happen to have on hand so will play with them first.

Any advice on a good online source for Montblanc ink?

bleunuitguy
April 15th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Penboutique.com is where I buy my Montblanc ink from.

VertOlive
April 15th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I have the MD Leonardo DaVinci Red Chalk in my Platinum 3776 FP. Plenty of color and presence.

earthdawn
April 15th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Ill vote for Diamine Majestic Blue.

It may look like a plain old rich deep blue, but the magic happens after it is dried and that wonderful sheen comes out. Subtle but certainly there!

ac12
April 16th, 2014, 01:15 AM
In my limited experience, for an XF nib, the darker the ink the better, to get enough contrast to see the ink line.
My standard blue inks (Waterman and Cross/Pelikan) look washed out when put into an XF nib pen.

Waterman and Cross/Pelikan black
Diamine Midnight
Diamine Red Dragon

The Good Captain
April 16th, 2014, 01:41 AM
I've a Pilot 823 with a Fine nib - pretty thin! - and I use Cult Pens/Diamine Deep Dark Brown in there. A nice dark line.

migo984
April 16th, 2014, 03:37 AM
Sailor Jentle Oku-yama. An unusual rich dark red with some brown tones, almost metallic, with nice shading

Cookies
April 17th, 2014, 12:18 PM
All of them? I use xf nibs almost exclusively and have never had to use special inks. Some inks certainly look better in my stubs, but unless an ink is incredibly dry you shouldn't need to look for anything special. Currently in my xf nibs I have Diamine Prussian blue, J. Herbin Vert Empire, Diamine Merlot, Organics Studio Arsenic, and J. Herbin Rouge Opera. In my xxf nibs I have De Atramentis Pigeon Blue and Private Reserve Burgundy Mist. All work well.

Lady Onogaro
April 17th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Another ink I've been using that shades pretty well with an XF nib is Diamine WES Kensington Blue. At first, I didn't like it. It was too light. But as I have been using it on white Rhodia paper, I have noted the lovely shading. You might try a sample from Goulet.

jacksterp
April 18th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Iro Yama-guri works very well with fine nibs.

It is a lovely greyish brown.