PDA

View Full Version : Delta Planet Mediterranean Blue Ocean

Murfie
April 14th, 2014, 10:53 PM
I've just received a mint Delta Planet Mediterranean Blue Ocean from one of my favourite sources, Speerbob (http://www.speerbob.com) (no affiliation other than being a very satisfied customer for several years). I was pleasantly surprised with this pen and it will become a favourite in the inked rotation. Another positive is that I am now one more up on Bogon07 in the "who-has-the-most-Deltae" race. :thumb:

My initial impressions are as follows - rather unique but very attractive design and appearance. Very comfortable in the hand and doesn't require posting, however, the cap posts as good as it gets if you need to do this. Thickish in girth, much wider than a Pelikan M200/400 but similar to a Delta Gallery Blue Moon piston filler (see comparative photo below). Does not take a full size converter and the ink system options are international cartridges, a short converter, or used as an eyedropper. I'm going with carts at the moment. The nib in this one is a factory 1.0mm 18kt stub nib which is very similar to the feel of the stub nib in my Aurora Optima. It is smooth and wet and a delight to write with. The cap unscrews with just ¾ of a turn, which is very good.

Here are a few photos from my Fujifilm X10.

Bogon07
April 14th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Murfie, Once again great photos. I think Tracy Lee has a quite few Deltas in her Italian pen handbag.
It is a unique looking pen with interesting subtle tapering towards the cap & barrel junction.
It is bizarre how different yet similar it is to the Dolcevita. And it looks better posted than my DolceVitas do.

The Mediterranean Blue Ocean cap is sort of dreamy looking and goes well with the black body.
Overall a really nice looking pen. Similar to KaiSnowbirds Delta Animals with a plainer looking clip.....I reckon Delta should have put their smaller roller do-dad on it.

Are you going to show us a writing sample ? :boink:

Murfie
April 14th, 2014, 11:36 PM
No way, my handwriting is not up to display quality in any shape or form.

kaisnowbird
April 15th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Congratulations Murfie. Glad to see the pen arriving quickly and to your satisfaction. It's pretty comfy in the hand, isn't it? There are many simple but thoughtful design elements.

My Dolphin version's nib is more temperamental - testing my patience.

Will you consider using it as an eyedropper? I reckon it has enough barrel space to fit half a bottle of ink.

Murfie
April 15th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Yo Kai,

My Dolphin version's nib is more temperamental - testing my patience

The nib and feed are simple to remove so you should be able to ensure that the feed slits are clean and clear then adjust the tine separation before reassembly. That should sort out any problems. But it is unusual to have a problem with a Delta's nib.

Will you consider using it as an eyedropper?

Not keen on 'blind' eyedroppers (ie. without an ink window or non-translucent) as you get no warning of nearing the 'blobbing point' at usually under 30% full. With a bit of travel on the agenda towards the end of the year, cartridges will be very convenient and I have managed to accumulate a large number of Diamine ones that need using.

Quick off topic - your letter turned up this morning and I'll do you a reply over Easter which you should get late next week. Loved that R&K Alt-Goldgrun on the buff paper - great match and very pleasant on the eye.

Ciao

Murf

kaisnowbird
April 20th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Hi Murfie,

I tried removing my nib but it's on real tight. I nearly misaligned the tines and had to stop.
If I can take it apart, it will be much easier to give it a thorough clean.
Is it a pull out our a screw out?

Your letter writing is always so prompt! I'm rather behind on my correspondence and appreciate you patience. :p

Murfie
April 20th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Is it a pull out our a screw out?
All of my other Deltae are pull out, but as the nib/feed fit is positional you can't twist it at all. I would probably immerse it in a 10 parts water to 1 part ammonia solution just up to the top of the section, overnight and that might help if any ink residue is contributing to the sticking. I've had one that was tight and a gentle rocking action worked on it, but it doesn't pay to use any undue force, that's for sure.

Your letter writing is always so prompt! I'm rather behind on my correspondence and appreciate your patience.
Don't worry that I'm so prompt. I'm unemployed and idle so I have time to burn whereas life is a bit more hectic at your end. Just write when you feel like it because the exercise should be enjoyable and never a chore. I'm just pleased to get a letter whenever it suits, Kai.

Ciao

Murf

kaisnowbird
April 21st, 2014, 05:29 AM
All of my other Deltae are pull out, but as the nib/feed fit is positional you can't twist it at all. I would probably immerse it in a 10 parts water to 1 part ammonia solution just up to the top of the section, overnight and that might help if any ink residue is contributing to the sticking. I've had one that was tight and a gentle rocking action worked on it, but it doesn't pay to use any undue force, that's for sure.

Thanks so much Murfie.

Now that I know it's a pull out nib unit, it came out easily enough and I was able to clean the feed really thoroughly. (There were quite a bit of black particles left in there, not ink, probably from the manufacturing process.) In any case, I now can do whatever I need to make this nib work for me (eg. spread the tines, etc).

Just write when you feel like it because the exercise should be enjoyable and never a chore.

That exactly how I feel about letter writing. :tea:

dennis.baker
April 21st, 2014, 06:43 PM
That Delta Pen is stunning!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!

Tracy Lee
April 23rd, 2014, 05:46 AM
Murfie, Once again great photos. I think Tracy Lee has a quite few Deltas in her Italian pen handbag.
It is a unique looking pen with interesting subtle tapering towards the cap & barrel junction.
It is bizarre how different yet similar it is to the Dolcevita. And it looks better posted than my DolceVitas do.

The Mediterranean Blue Ocean cap is sort of dreamy looking and goes well with the black body.
Overall a really nice looking pen. Similar to KaiSnowbirds Delta Animals with a plainer looking clip.....I reckon Delta should have put their smaller roller do-dad on it.

I really like that short fat body, one of my favorite things about the Delta line. This is a great find, thanks for sharing!!

Murfie
April 23rd, 2014, 03:51 PM
I really like that short fat body, one of my favorite things about the Delta line. This is a great find, thanks for sharing!!
You are most welcome, Tracy Lee. I have been pleasantly surprised how comfortable this pen feels in the hand, something I must admit I wasn't expecting when I first saw it. I've also taken a little line width off the horizontal stroke which I found to be a tad thicker than my preference in a stub nib. This one is a real keeper.