PDA

View Full Version : Franklin-Christoph Pens.........?

tintak
April 15th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Hi!
I tried to look up any comments on FPG about F-C pens.
Couldn't find any,...yet.
It could just be my inability to navigate FPGs,...yet.

Has anyone here had experience with this small American maker?

I should be getting a clip-less model 03 in black/maroon with a Nagahara-san ground ss. Broad stub (in the mail any day now).
Is this brand sort of a "sleeper" amongst the current American brands like Bexley, Edison, etc...............?

I have read some very good comments from users on the "other" board, but very few recent reviews.
F-C pens have some interesting shapes & design features & offer a wide option of decent JoWo brand nibs (in ss or 18K).

I suppose that having only a C/C filling option may limit interest.
I for one have discovered converters about three years ago, after using a piston-fill Pelikan for over 40 years.
Now I really appreciate the simple joys of C/C pens.
Except maybe for custom nibs, I do not need to see a repairman or " Heaven help!", try to tinker at home,...a real plus for me.

Would greatly appreciate any feedback, particularly from users,...if any.

Cheers: Tintak

Jon Szanto
April 15th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Just so your post doesn't feel so all-alone...

I don't own any, but admire their pens. That they aren't maybe as well known as some others probably owes to a variety of factors, including the c/c. They are fairly sedate (but stylish) designs, and I think people looking for flashy colors and eye-candy pass them by. When I've tried them at pen shows, the quality is as good as it gets, and maybe it is simply the unique nature of their pens - in style and visual function - that keeps them from being more prominent.

Please write a review when you have yours!

AndyT
April 15th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Azizah reviewed one just the other day, so here's a bit of up to date reading matter:

Review: @1901FC Franklin-Christoph Model 02 (http://www.gourmetpens.com/2014/04/review-1901fc-franklin-christoph-model.html#.U01ht4824xA)

tintak
April 15th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Thanks Jon for the encouraging words.
I will try to do an evaluation on the new Model 03, particularly on the nib that Sailor's Nagahara worked on.
F-C had a few of these Nagahara ss nibs available.

Apparently Mr. Y. Nagahara sat next to F-C's nib-guy Mike Masuyama at a recent show & Yukio ground a few of the F-C nibs.
I could never afford a 21K Sailor Nagahara specialty nib, but at a 20.00 USD up-charge for my 03, a steel one will be perfect.
Hope this Broad Stub will be forgiving of my often uncontrollable fingers.

Thanks AndyT for the link.
There is a recent review on the other board of this same pen. Azizah's seems much more detailed & equally as positive.

sixbynineis42
April 15th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I live in the Triangle area of NC, so F-C is a local company to me. I first tried them when I saw them at a pen store in Asheville, NC. I never would have come across them if not for that pen store--however, F-C does the vast majority of their sales themselves. They are in very few stores, and even fewer online stores--the only one I can think of is Anderson Pens, and then it's just the special edition they did for Anderson Pens. It's very difficult to come across their pens without specifically looking for them, and I think this a huge reason that they're so small.

That said, their pens are top notch. I purchased several Collegias that were given as gifts. I loved my Bellus, but it just wasn't right for my hand. Now I have the Anderson Pens version of the Instrinsic, and it's a regular in my rotation.

writingrav
April 15th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I have had two F-C Pens, the #25 and the #65 Desk Pen. Excellent pens. I eventually sold the #25 because the partially hooded nib is not my stylem but the #66 with a broad nib stands proudly on my desk and is used often.

DrChumley
April 15th, 2014, 02:34 PM
I have a Model 19 that was supposed to be delivered by noon today but wasn't. (Hopefully it will be there by the time I head home from work.) I got the Masuyama 18k Medium Italic nib.

I've heard great things about them. I plan on doing a full review once I've had some time with the pens, and I'll probably post pics here as well.

tintak
April 15th, 2014, 03:20 PM
My goodness, you shake the bushes & more F-C fans appear.
Terrific!

"sixbynineis42", thank you for some background about this company. F-C has a very attractive web-site that is fun to navigate & seems to be regularly updated. They must do most of their business from this site & attending pen shows.
I would love to charm them into coming up for our Toronto show in November.

"writingrav", I had to consult the F-C site to find both your models. The #66 appears to have a similar section & block threads up front as the 03 that I am waiting for. It's a model that I also considered but wasn't sure about the innovative flat on its barrel . I also considered the #25 but was told by Jim @ F-C that the section would be too thick for my small hands.
Did you get the factory or the Masuyama broad for the #66?

"DrChumley", thanks for posting.
I hope that #19 is already in your hands. A really lovely pen that is just a little too large for me. The #19 was another of my possible choices.
I'd be very curious how that 18K Masuyama italic turns out for you.

Thanks all.
Tintak

earthdawn
April 15th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Ill be glad to share some pics of my F~C Intrinsic 02 Anderson Pens edition. With a 1.1 stub it is a sweet writer that did not disappoint on any level. I loved the placement of the threads because they were 100% out of the way and the contrast of deep rich black and the rich blue on the final and section. Fit & finish are perfect.

Edit to add mine is a factory steel stub.The Masuyama nib option was not available when I ordered it but it is silky smooth.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/FC_02_zps61fcb42e.png (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/FC_02_zps61fcb42e.png.html)

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/FC_nib_zpsd35ee5e7.png (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/FC_nib_zpsd35ee5e7.png.html)

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/FC_final_zps350eda9a.png (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/FC_final_zps350eda9a.png.html)

writingrav
April 15th, 2014, 03:34 PM
My goodness, you shake the bushes & more F-C fans appear.
Terrific!

"sixbynineis42", thank you for some background about this company. F-C has a very attractive web-site that is fun to navigate & seems to be regularly updated. They must do most of their business from this site & attending pen shows.

"writingrav", I had to consult the F-C site to find both your models. The #66 appears to have a similar section & block threads up front as the 03 that I am waiting for. It's a model that I also considered but wasn't sure about the innovative flat on its barrel . I also considered the #25 but was told by Jim @ F-C that the section would be too thick for my small hands.
Did you get the factory or the Masuyama broad for the #66?

"DrChumley", thanks for posting.
I hope that #19 is already in your hands. A really lovely pen that is just a little too large for me. The #19 was another of my possible choices.
I'd be very curious how that 18K Masuyama italic turns out for you.

Thanks all.
Tintak

Factory broad.

Silverbreeze
April 15th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I own two 29s love em both. One is an EF the other is a needle point. Both are in my current daily carry along with a SF standard Falcon and a SEF metal falcon. Easily would say the pens are of good class and great value. Their paper too. Their ink though :-(

Bogon07
April 15th, 2014, 04:34 PM
There is a quick review & photos by Murfie of the FC-model 40 here:
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/6242-Franklin-Christoph-Model-40Po

caribbean_skye
April 15th, 2014, 04:48 PM
I have the 65 with 2 nibs (F and EF). i love my pen and find it difficult to let it rest while rotating through other pens. The frst time I came across them was at the Atlanta pen show several years back and went to the Dallas show with the intention of buying this pen (just needed to figure out which nib). Yes it is a c/c but easily converted to an eyedropper.

Kaputnik
April 15th, 2014, 09:32 PM
I have the model 27 with their special grind medium stub. There was a problem out of the box with the cap, but they quickly replaced it under warranty; apparently there had been a bad batch. With that fixed, it's an excellent pen, nothing fancy, but a smooth writer, and a good value for $70. Because I have an impractically large number of pens, this one isn't always inked, in fact it has been several months since I last used it, but I'll get back to it.

Jeph
April 16th, 2014, 01:22 AM
Thank you Tintak for starting this thread. I had looked briefly at them before but had dismissed them. Probably due to the CC, but it might be that I am bored of black pens. I see that I should have looekd closer.

The fact that you can get a Masuyama needlepoint for only $15 upgrade (on the 27 and 29) and for the price of $85 or $105 respectively with the specialty (steel) nib AND free shipping anywhere in the world is pretty impressive. Unfortunately the Radiant Red is gone for the 29 but is still available on the 27.

Kaputnik, can you comment on the balance posted with the 27? They mention it is somewhat topheavy. I like to post my pens.

I could skip a weekend of playing bayjäger and have a nice US made pen with a near custom needlepoint and a lifetime warranty instead.

Kaputnik
April 16th, 2014, 03:45 AM
...The fact that you can get a Masuyama needlepoint for only $15 upgrade (on the 27 and 29)... Unfortunately the Radiant Red is gone for the 29 but is still available on the 27.

Kaputnik, can you comment on the balance posted with the 27? They mention it is somewhat topheavy. I like to post my pens...

I got lucky in that F-C ran a special edition for another forum I belong to, Badger and Blade (that special is now over). It was a black #27 with the chrome cap, the cap having the B&B logo and name. More importantly, one or two of the special grind nibs, like my medium stub, were available without the upgrade price on the special.

You're right, the cap does make it feel a little topheavy, and I generally prefer to post my pens. I found that I could get used to it, but that this one pen was more comfortable unposted. Probably varies according to the size of your hands. Mine are about medium for a man.

Toulouse
April 16th, 2014, 05:50 AM
I've asked for a M40 Pocket for my upcoming birthday that I plan on using as an eyedropper. Went with the standard extra fine nib. I'll post a comment when it arrives.

manoeuver
April 16th, 2014, 09:44 AM
I have 4. 2 02s, a 19 in smoke, and the tiny one.
Love them and the $15-25 upcharge for the MM nib grinds is the best deal in pens.

ypsilanti
April 16th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I have a Model 19 and love it. Bought it with a Masuyama stub that just didn't suit me, so I replaced it with a broad nib. I see another F-C pen in my future, for sure.

DrChumley
April 17th, 2014, 08:41 AM
So, my Model 19 arrived yesterday, and it just catapulted itself right up into my Top 5, if not overtaking the #1 spot. This nib is enough to inspire involuntary singing. (Mr. Masuyama is pretty darn good at what he does. <--understatement.) There is certainly going to be another F-c pen in my future as well.

Jeph
April 17th, 2014, 11:56 AM
OK, I am convinced. All of it helped, but this closed the deal.

...the $15-25 upcharge for the MM nib grinds is the best deal in pens.

Just ordered the #27 in radiant red with the steel needlepoint.
Now, please stop spending my money.

Edit: 2 minutes after this post I got a message that it was going out in the mail today. Wow!

tintak
April 18th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Wow!
Thanks all.

I would like to comment on some the posts but have run out of time, till after Easter.

The only news I have from my corner is that my much anticipated # 03 was shipped to me (up to Canada) a couple of weeks ago,... but somehow was discovered in Florida, of all places. :shocked:
(No disrespect to Floridians.)

Hopefully, redirected North again, it will pass muster @ the Border & get here duty & HST free.

Cheers:
Tintak

DrChumley
April 18th, 2014, 10:24 PM
I was finally able to get some photos taken of my new baby. Sakes alive, I love this pen. I hope to have the review video edited and posted this weekend.

tintak
April 19th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Beautifully photographed, Matt.
I'm interested in how well the box threads work as compared to regular fine threading found on most FPs.
The Mod. # 03 that I'm waiting for has its box threads at the rim of the section while yours has it in the traditional position.
A stunning pen. Unfortunately the section is too thick for me, but I love the elegant design.

DrChumley
April 19th, 2014, 05:44 PM
The section is about 10.7mm wide, so it's not as wide as you'd think. But it's still not a svelte pen, by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the box threads, (I just learned that's what they're called!) they work fine. I prefer more traditional threads because it feels like there's just not enough friction on these to keep the pen truly secure without tightening down the cap more tightly than I like to do. I also feel like they don't provide quite the same ability to hold in moisture as the more standard threads. You still have to turn the cap just over 1 full turn to remove the cap. But the threads, while not what I would have preferred, don't bother me in the slightest.

tintak
April 19th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Matt, when I had one of my numerous talks with Jim @ F-C, we carefully went through the "narrowest width" measurement of most of their pen's sections.
My true comfort level with grip diameters is around 0.36" (the Pelikan 400 series of pens).
I find Edison's Pearl also surprisingly comfortable.
When I changed to Sailor's 1911-M pens, the grip diameter increased to 0.38". I love all my mid-size 1911s, but I also wanted one of the L 1911 pens with a large 21K nib. Now the grip diameter would have increased to 0.42".

No matter how many times I tried to write with an L 1911 or a Professional Gear, I just couldn't get used to the thickness of the section. For me it felt like holding a log in my fingers.
Sadly many excellent pens, your fine model # 19 among them, is sized at 0.42 or some even bigger.
I have seriously tiny hands.
After reviewing all the grip sizes, Jim & I settled on my Model # 03, which has a 0.39" grip, close to the 1911-Ms. My upper limit.

Thanks for the specific feedback on the box threads.
My pen will be without a clip, which may improve the cap's sealing ability.
Apparently the female threads in these caps are deeper set, (at about mid-point). Since there is no clip I'll have to store & carry my 03 in a Pelikan single leather case. There is an empty one ready & waiting.

What nib did you get? On magnification it looks like a italic by Mike.
Congratulations, enjoy your # 19

Cheers:
Tintak

Kaputnik
April 19th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Because I'm suggestible, and because another pen was emptied a couple of days after I posted here, I've had my 27 inked up with black Quink for a couple of days now, and have been using it a fair amount.

The Matsuyama special medium stub (steel) is as smooth as I remembered, and gives my penstrokes a subtle line width variation which doesn't inhibit cursive writing.

The downside, a problem I don't recall having before, is that it has seized up twice after working nicely for several pages, apparently a problem with surface tension or an air bubble or something in the converter. I had to work the piston on the converter to get more ink down to the feed. After the second time, I hope I won't have to do it again. I have some spare Pelikan converters, which I got in a box of five. Only two are currently in use, and I never had an issue with them. The next time I fill the model 27, I may see if one of those converters will work better.

It's a good pen, though, excellent nib for what I paid. Despite what I wrote in a previous post, I find it about equally easy to use it posted or unposted.

tintak
April 23rd, 2014, 09:54 AM
-- Kaputnik,... interesting you mention your converter problem.

I have had similar issues with the (possibly same make of) international converter, the Schmidt K5. When I first started using the internat'l converter, the clinging & bubbling of ink seemed unusual.
While the K5 offers more ink capacity than my Sailor converters, the downside seems to be that the opening that goes on the JoWo feed's nipple is quite constricted, when compared with my Japanese (Sailor & Platinum) converters.

I have found that there is always ink residue to clean out from this small opening.
There is also more possibility for ink starvation with the K5 converters. After a couple days of not using my Edison, I often have to advance the converter's plunger ahead, to get my pen writing again.
Expressing two or three drops of ink back into the bottle, pointing the nib up & backing up the plunger does improve the flow, but not as well as with my Sailor converters.
After I fill my clip-less Pearl (with a juicy 1.1 italic), I rest it on a Nakaya pen-pillow with the pen's cap pointing downward. This way, the pen now starts every time.

It will be interesting if I experience similar issues with my new 03.
Still waiting for it.

-- Earthdawn,...that's a stunning blue resin on your 02, particularly on the section.
Does the ink show through the blue grip?

Jeph
April 24th, 2014, 02:35 AM
How about that, 7 days later in Germany and my pen has already arrived.
It was very well packaged.
It is a little topheavy posted, by wowsers what a great looking pen.
No ink with me now so I can't test the needlepoint and I am out this weekend but I am sure that more will follow.

tintak
April 24th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Congratulations Jeph,... you sure got your pen faster than I will ever get mine.
After close to three weeks I am still waiting for my 03 to be delivered. This is not F-C's fault but the shipping company or USPS, who sent my pen South to somewhere in Florida.

When you get a chance to ink up your Masuyama needlepoint, perhaps you could send us a picture of how it writes.

inlovewithjournals
April 24th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I own two 29s love em both. One is an EF the other is a needle point. Both are in my current daily carry along with a SF standard Falcon and a SEF metal falcon. Easily would say the pens are of good class and great value. Their paper too. Their ink though :-(

Love their website and their products look beautiful. And can I say how wonderful to have free international shipping for orders over $50? This fact coupled with the positive comments in this thread make me want to make a purchase soon.

Silverbreeze, why the unhappy face regarding their ink?

tiffanyhenschel
April 24th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I have the 65 with 2 nibs (F and EF). i love my pen and find it difficult to let it rest while rotating through other pens. The frst time I came across them was at the Atlanta pen show several years back and went to the Dallas show with the intention of buying this pen (just needed to figure out which nib). Yes it is a c/c but easily converted to an eyedropper.

I bought my model 65 at the same time as Lesley. It was fun spending time at their table testing nibs to our hearts' content. :) I chose a ss needlepoint nib at the time and have added an 18k xf for the times when I don't want a point quite so tiny. I love my 65. It is almost always inked and is one of the very few Non-Edison pens that I keep in the permanent collection.

I bought a model 66 when they first came out a couple of years ago but ended up selling it. I like big pens, but that one just wasn't right for me.

tintak
April 24th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Finally, my new model "03" has arrived. :amen:

Beautifully finished, an elegant (clip-less) design in black & maroon,...this Iterum fits comfortably in my hand.
The block-threads at the front of the section seem to melt into the design of the pen. These threads hold the cap firmly & do not interfere with writing.
Clever!
Once the Interum & I get more acquainted, I will send a report with pictures.
Now we must bond in my journal.

(Thanks a bunch to all for the feedback so far about Franklin-Christoph pens.)

Silverbreeze
April 28th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Silverbreeze, why the unhappy face regarding their ink?

It bleeds badly for me. It may just be me though your milage may vary

Sketchy
April 28th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Last year I bought a model 40 pocket smoke and ice with a medium italic steel nib by Michael Masuyama. I was from the start unhappy with the quality of the finish and the misfit of the cap on the barrel when posting. The frosted interior was well done in the barrel, not so well done in the cap and the text circling the cap was double struck. I was quite in love with the nib however, a lovely, quite crisp italic. After a couple of weeks of really trying to like the pen I contacted F-C who graciously took the pen back.

I then changed my order to a Model 25 with the same nib grind and I've gotta say, I love this pen. It has, since the moment it arrived, remained one of my favorite pens. My only very minor complaint (and I mean miniscule) was that the nib, while quite delightful to write with, lacked that crisp edge that happened to come in the model 40.

At the LA Pen Show in February I bought a new broad steel nib from Brian at Edison Pens, walked the ten feet over to Michael Masuyama's table, handed him my Edison Pearl with the Model 25 and explained that I wanted the new nib to write like the F-C with a crisp edge. After he ground the nib he handed it to his "partner" who tried it, adjusted it and then handed it back. It was, and still is, perfect.

I keep going back to the F-C website and I'm thinking that a desk pen may be in my future.

tintak
April 29th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Thanks for your input Sketchy.
Of all their unusual designs the #25 fascinated me the most. This pen reminds me of a retractable nib ED from the beginning of the 20th c.
How do you find the grip position on this pen?
F-C advised me that my small hand (fingers) would not have a comfortable grip.

Toulouse
April 29th, 2014, 01:16 PM
My lovely wife just gave me a Model 40 Pocket for my birthday. It is fitted with their standard steel nib in extra-fine and is smooth as silk and even has some nice flex. If I didn't know better I would think it was a gold nib. I am one happy camper.
This pen (the clip less version) slips nicely into the loop on my journal and will see a lot of use.

Silverbreeze
April 29th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I am planning to get a 27 with a steel Masuyama MI soon

Then will probably get gold Masuyama Needlepoint and maybe a gold Masuyama MI

Hope to get them before Master Masuyama retires

May he outlive us all :-)

VertOlive
April 29th, 2014, 01:51 PM
My lovely wife just gave me a Model 40 Pocket for my birthday. It is fitted with their standard steel nib in extra-fine and is smooth as silk and even has some nice flex. If I didn't know better I would think it was a gold nib. I am one happy camper.
This pen (the clip less version) slips nicely into the loop on my journal and will see a lot of use.

Happy Birthday !

tintak
April 30th, 2014, 01:03 PM
I had to take a look at the F-C web-site to check out the #27 & the #40.
The #40 looks like a neat little pen. I cannot see the cap threading very well on this clear model.
Does this pen also use their signature "box threads" behind the drip?

Silverbreeze, have you heard talk about Michael Masuyama retiring? Hope not.
If true, it would be a real loss. I have a couple of wonderful cursive italics that he ground from 14K Sailor Music nibs.
Would love to have him work on an untipped 1.1 cursive calligraphy nib.

Silverbreeze
April 30th, 2014, 01:14 PM
The #40 looks like a neat little pen. I cannot see the cap threading very well on this clear model.

If true, it would be a real loss. I have a couple of wonderful cursive italics that he ground from 14K Sailor Music nibs.

I haven't heard anything no, just am aware there comes time when the body ages beyond fine motor skills like nib custom work.

I hope whatever deity watches over Master Nibmeisters give us as a community many years yet with Masuyama here to guide us and fix our silly errors :-)

Toulouse
April 30th, 2014, 07:43 PM

Yes, the Model 40 Pocket does use the box threads and they are located at the back of the section, well behind where I grip the pen. The section is quite narrow but fits my smaller hands well.

cwent2
April 30th, 2014, 08:07 PM

Guess your wife agreed to change your wish list --- congratulations and Happy Birthday!

Silverbreeze
April 30th, 2014, 08:40 PM

Next get yourself a Masuyama nib unit to swap. They unscrew much like an Edison or pelikan nib unit. Not as easy as a TWSBI, But well worth it if you only want one F-C.
I actually have to make sure I am using steel and not a gold nib

tintak
May 14th, 2014, 04:04 PM
My Franklin-Christoph 03 came with an ss. Nagahara-san B stub that wrote beautifully, but proved to be a little narrow.
For my fairly large handwriting I like to use at least a 1 mm. stub/italic. The folks at F-C were really understanding & agreed to swap out the nib for an un-tipped 1.1 mm cursive calligraphy nib. The factory nib they sent is every bit as good as the custom gold ones I own.

tintak
May 14th, 2014, 04:24 PM
I haven't heard anything no, just am aware there comes time when the body ages beyond fine motor skills like nib custom work.

I hope whatever deity watches over Master Nibmeisters give us as a community many years yet with Masuyama here to guide us and fix our silly errors :-)[/QUOTE]

I sure understand about the body aging thing.
Hopefully Mike will pass on his excellent skills to a enthusiastic new student (or students) when he finally hangs up his grinders.

benincanada
September 15th, 2014, 09:25 PM

This would be awesome ... any chance of it happening ?

orfew
September 15th, 2014, 09:52 PM

I agree, I would really like to see them at the Toronto show.

earthdawn
September 15th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Heres my 02 with the new Christoph Music Nib... dang paint brush lol

Seriously though it is a fantastic nib and so easy to swap out. It comes as a unit like the Pelikans.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/4F3A2865-146D-44DC-8DF0-9422F96ED9B5_zpslqlyk2ou.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/4F3A2865-146D-44DC-8DF0-9422F96ED9B5_zpslqlyk2ou.jpg.html)

benincanada
September 16th, 2014, 06:21 AM

I agree, I would really like to see them at the Toronto show.

Do you know if the organizers of the Toronto show read this board, or conversely , someone should reach out to Franklin Christoph to suggest this to them!

Mags
September 16th, 2014, 07:07 PM
I think David and Philip do read the boards and are the organizers for Scriptus. I don't believe I saw FC as coming to Toronto.

Mags
September 16th, 2014, 07:10 PM

VertOlive
September 16th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Heres my 02 with the new Christoph Music Nib... dang paint brush lol

Seriously though it is a fantastic nib and so easy to swap out. It comes as a unit like the Pelikans.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/4F3A2865-146D-44DC-8DF0-9422F96ED9B5_zpslqlyk2ou.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/4F3A2865-146D-44DC-8DF0-9422F96ED9B5_zpslqlyk2ou.jpg.html)

Were there any modifications to this nib? The line doesn't seem anything like the Platinum 3776 I used to own.

earthdawn
September 16th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Were there any modifications to this nib? The line doesn't seem anything like the Platinum 3776 I used to own.

Nope... It came in a small case and I just unscrewed my original nib and feed and screwed this one in and thats it !!!

Do keep in mind this is a 1.9mm nib

Silverbreeze
September 17th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Also keep in mind you need a #6 Franklin-Christoph pen :-)

They have many #5 pens

writingrav
September 17th, 2014, 11:04 AM

They have many #5 pens
Yeah I was really bummed in DC when I learned that both of mine are number 5's and I couldn't switch out for a music nib. I guess I'll have to put another F-C pen with a number 6 nib on my list.[emoji5]

alc3261
September 17th, 2014, 11:16 AM

They have many #5 pens
Yeah I was really bummed in DC when I learned that both of mine are number 5's and I couldn't switch out for a music nib. I guess I'll have to put another F-C pen with a number 6 nib on my list.[emoji5]

What a pity.....!!

tiffanyhenschel
September 23rd, 2014, 07:28 PM

They have many #5 pens

Do you have an Edison with a #6 nib? They are interchangeable. I have the Christoph nib on one end of my DE Pearl right now.

Silverbreeze
September 23rd, 2014, 07:32 PM

They have many #5 pens

Do you have an Edison with a #6 nib? They are interchangeable. I have the Christoph nib on one end of my DE Pearl right now.

Ooo good idea!!!

writingrav
September 23rd, 2014, 07:33 PM

They have many #5 pens

How can you be sure its a number 6? Is it marked? I have a 1.1 stub that I'm guessing is a number 6. I also have the double nibbed pearl.

tiffanyhenschel
September 23rd, 2014, 07:36 PM
Most Edison pens are #6. The exceptions are the Encore, the Mina, and the Pearlette. I know the Pearls are #6, and I'm pretty sure the Beaumonts are, too. If I remember correctly, you have those pens.

My DE Pearl is currently sporting the Christoph nib on one end and a needlepoint on the other. ;)

earthdawn
September 23rd, 2014, 07:38 PM
Most Edison pens are #6. The exceptions are the Encore, the Mina, and the Pearlette. I know the Pearls are #6, and I'm pretty sure the Beaumonts are, too. If I remember correctly, you have those pens.

My DE Pearl is currently sporting the Christoph nib on one end and a needlepoint on the other. ;)

Well I think we need a pic of that ! :)

tiffanyhenschel
September 23rd, 2014, 07:42 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/24/9a7a5ede.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/24/y5emyjy6.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/24/amyhadeq.jpg

Here you go!

Silverbreeze
September 23rd, 2014, 07:59 PM
Edison or Franklin Christoph pen?

Silverbreeze
September 23rd, 2014, 08:01 PM
Beaumont are #6

tiffanyhenschel
September 23rd, 2014, 08:07 PM

That's an Edison Double Ended Pearl.

writingrav
September 23rd, 2014, 08:27 PM

Well I think we need a pic of that ! :)
Terrific. Thanks

earthdawn
September 23rd, 2014, 09:14 PM

That's an Edison Double Ended Pearl.

Ill use my favorite word.... AWESOME !!!

Wow that is really really cool. Looks all business too.

AND the material of the pen is stunning. Vintage looking :thumb:

tiffanyhenschel
September 24th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Ill use my favorite word.... AWESOME !!!

Wow that is really really cool. Looks all business too.

AND the material of the pen is stunning. Vintage looking :thumb:

Thanks. That's the Antique Marble that is an option for the production Edison Collier.

I've been using F-C nibs in my Edison pens for years. If you want a modified or 18 k nib, F-C is cheaper than Edison. They are exactly the same nibs, just a different logo.

Jon Szanto
September 24th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I've been using F-C nibs in my Edison pens for years. If you want a modified or 18 k nib, F-C is cheaper than Edison. They are exactly the same nibs, just a different logo.
Are you saying they sell their nibs separately? That's interesting.

tiffanyhenschel
September 24th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Are you saying they sell their nibs separately? That's interesting.

I'm not sure if you're referring to Edison or F-C, but the answer to both is yes. You can buy extra Edison nibs from Brian Gray directly, the Goulets, and Richard Binder-- also probably other retailers who carry the production line.

You can only get F-C nibs directly from them, but they sell all of their nibs separately: sizes #5 and #6 in steel and 18k, Masuyama custom needle points and italics, and stock factory nibs.

Jon Szanto
September 24th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Thanks, Tiff. I realize I wasn't clear, and it was the F-C nibs I was referring to.