PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Waterman purchase

Scrawler
April 16th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I use this pen, a Waterman #32, as my regular letter writing pen.
http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx153/FPWriter/w32-1_zps5f50e22e.jpg

These were the cheapest pen Waterman produced in the 1930-1940 period, aimed at students. They can give semiflex if pushed. Millions were made and sold and they are not exactly expensive. I was looking for another one to use with a different colour of ink. I saw one on ebay and bid about $16, which is pretty much in the middle of what they sell for. When it arrived, I was really surprised that it was not a plain black #32, but this:

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx153/FPWriter/w3-2_zps4d414b1b.jpg

The photo does not do it justice. It is a black, green, red and silver agate Canadian #3 with a superflex nib that goes from fine to about 4B with no effort. Just the natural pressure changes as you write is enough to make it go. In fact, my hands are not sensitive enough and I wrote with it as if it were a 32 and could not produce a fine line. This is a pen for an expert calligrapher. It arrived in ready to use condition.

It goes to show that gambling on a bad out of focus picture with a poor description can sometimes pay off.

Here they are side by side so you can see how I was mistaken.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx153/FPWriter/W3-1_zpsb47a8afd.jpg

vikramguliya
June 5th, 2014, 12:01 AM
The picture and the description is nice

pajaro
June 10th, 2014, 01:22 PM
That's a pretty pen. I like the pattern and how it writes as well. I thought these would cost a lot more.

Scrawler
June 10th, 2014, 01:48 PM
That's a pretty pen. I like the pattern and how it writes as well. I thought these would cost a lot more.

They do, that is why I was so surprised and please. These typically sell in the $125-$200 range.

Crazyorange
June 10th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Sweet. It's nice to see someone get a great deal off eBay. Congrats.

7188photo
July 15th, 2014, 04:49 AM
This sounds like exactly the kind of pen I am looking for, in regards to how you described the nib. To be honest, I have no idea whatsoever about pricing of fountain pens, but it sounds like you got yourself a pretty good deal there.

The nib on that pen you got, is it standard on a certain series of Waterman pens? I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I want to look especially for a pen with a nib like the one you described, can I discover them easier/easily in a shop with vintage pens by looking for a certain series/model of Waterman?

Scrawler
July 15th, 2014, 07:25 AM
This sounds like exactly the kind of pen I am looking for, in regards to how you described the nib. To be honest, I have no idea whatsoever about pricing of fountain pens, but it sounds like you got yourself a pretty good deal there.

The nib on that pen you got, is it standard on a certain series of Waterman pens? I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I want to look especially for a pen with a nib like the one you described, can I discover them easier/easily in a shop with vintage pens by looking for a certain series/model of Waterman?

There are no guarantees with Waterman nibs. There are probabilities that certain types from certain ages and locations are better than others for different writing tasks. A nib is a combination of metallurgy and craftsman skill. The tempering of a nib to get the spring and flex you are looking for is the result of expert knowledge. If you want a guarantee of the characteristics you are looking for, you need to go to someone like Mauricio, who tests and grades his pens. See this link here: http://www.vintagepen.net/-waterman---pg-4.html and look for Pen W530 – Waterman 3 - Marbled Brown & Grey, Nickel Trim, USA, 1930s
Wet Noodle M-BB Nib, Normal Nib When Not Flexed. That is what I lucked upon. But such a find is rare. If you look at the related pages, you will see certain other model numbers. Those are the ones to look for in your quest for great flexibility. Canadian made Waterman nibs of all types are generally more flexible than others.

7188photo
July 16th, 2014, 03:54 AM
Thanks so much! I checked the page and got very excited when I saw these nibs - that's exactly what I'm looking for! Seems to be a very complex topic, though, which is kind of a drag down.
Also, these are all like 10 times more expensive than I want to pay - and I don't know if it's because of the pen (which to be honest I don't care much for as long as it's comfortable and not ugly), or because of the nib. Humm...

Didn't know that website yet, so I guess I'll start by reading the info on there and who knows, maybe that will help me to find a "goodie" on my next trip to the pen shop...

Cob
July 18th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Snap! But mine has a super smooth stub nib - semi-flex, but I really enjoy writing with it. It too was cheap, but the cap was lacking a clip; should be back tomorrow c/w clip I hope!

I have two more clipless Canadians coming as well, apart from the English clipless that arrived the other day. This one had a lovely flexible nib which I have installed in a USA 3V in more or less similar colour with matching pencil which is currently up on ebay. This one had an Ideal nib but it was the dreaded Account model - ugh! It is perfect though and included in the sale.

Best wishes

Cob

Scrawler
July 18th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Snap! But mine has a super smooth stub nib - semi-flex, but I really enjoy writing with it. It too was cheap, but the cap was lacking a clip; should be back tomorrow c/w clip I hope!

<snip for brevity>

I have two more clipless Canadians coming as well, apart from the English clipless that arrived the other day. This one had a lovely flexible nib which I have installed in a USA 3V in more or less similar colour with matching pencil which is currently up on ebay. This one had an Ideal nib but it was the dreaded Account model - ugh! It is perfect though and included in the sale.

Best wishes

Cob
Nice find. I like those semiflex stubs. The lack of a clip is minor for the enjoyment of scrawling with these. I have pens missing clips, the wrong cap and broken caps, because the pen and nib are more important.

Cob
July 18th, 2014, 04:30 PM

<snip for brevity>

Best wishes

Cob
Nice find. I like those semiflex stubs. The lack of a clip is minor for the enjoyment of scrawling with these. I have pens missing clips, the wrong cap and broken caps, because the pen and nib are more important.

Yes, a bit like you I expected a rubbishy damaged body, but it was perfect - I bought it for the nib (for the 3V) but it was too nice to scrap. Someone very nice sent me a clip and it has been fitted - I don't have the tools or experience to do the horrible job! As you suggest, the nib is truly delightful and rather similar in character to the nib on the Osmia 884 that arrived a week ago. And my Osmia is like some of your favourites: wrong cap!

I was surprised to find these Ideals for reasonable money here in England. I looked at buying a nib from the US, but I'm fed up with their joke postal charges and the outrageous practice of adding customs charges etc. When I ship abroad, all I have to do is fill in a little form and stick it on the package; and I charge £8.50 signed-for postage world wide. Perhaps it's American laws? But I was looking at an interesting pen the other day and the bloke wanted $25 to post it to the UK! No sale!!

Meanwhile the two other clipless are an interesting black Ideal with two golden bands on the body; the other is a junior in red marble. I might be looking for a gold-plated coffin clip soon!

Best wishes

Cob

Scrawler
July 18th, 2014, 04:51 PM

<snip for brevity>

Best wishes

Cob

Yes, a bit like you I expected a rubbishy damaged body, but it was perfect - I bought it for the nib (for the 3V) but it was too nice to scrap. Someone very nice sent me a clip and it has been fitted - I don't have the tools or experience to do the horrible job! As you suggest, the nib is truly delightful and rather similar in character to the nib on the Osmia 884 that arrived a week ago. And my Osmia is like some of your favourites: wrong cap!

I was surprised to find these Ideals for reasonable money here in England. I looked at buying a nib from the US, but I'm fed up with their joke postal charges and the outrageous practice of adding customs charges etc. When I ship abroad, all I have to do is fill in a little form and stick it on the package; and I charge £8.50 signed-for postage world wide. Perhaps it's American laws? But I was looking at an interesting pen the other day and the bloke wanted $25 to post it to the UK! No sale!!

Meanwhile the two other clipless are an interesting black Ideal with two golden bands on the body; the other is a junior in red marble. I might be looking for a gold-plated coffin clip soon!

Best wishes

Cob
This is one of the reasons I no longer buy from the US. You have some excellent pen repair people in the UK, and just last week, when my Australian pen pal was over to visit, she suggested certain British repair people for some items I would like to restore.

Cob
July 18th, 2014, 05:59 PM

<snip for brevity>

Best wishes

Cob

Best wishes

Cob
This is one of the reasons I no longer buy from the US. You have some excellent pen repair people in the UK, and just last week, when my Australian pen pal was over to visit, she suggested certain British repair people for some items I would like to restore.

Do they charge the earth for postage to Canada as well?

Crikey!

Cob

Scrawler
July 18th, 2014, 06:11 PM

Crikey!

Cob

Yes, the postage used to be reasonable, but now it is outrageous, especially as on ebay they collect the duties and handling fees up front. For small items like pens, they do not need it and there is rarely any duty, so I wonder who actually gets that money. I have received estimates for postage of between $25-$40.

tiffanyhenschel
July 18th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I haven't sold anything on eBay, but as a private seller, I have never had to pay any fees for international packages whatsoever above the cost of the postage.

A First Class padded envelope costs about $16 to ship just about anywhere internationally. Depending on the value and country of destination, it may be worthwhile to add Registered shipping and insurance, but those should be spelled out ahead of time.

Cob
July 19th, 2014, 03:55 AM

Crikey!

Cob

Yes, the postage used to be reasonable, but now it is outrageous, especially as on ebay they collect the duties and handling fees up front. For small items like pens, they do not need it and there is rarely any duty, so I wonder who actually gets that money. I have received estimates for postage of between $25-$40.

"so I wonder who actually gets that money"

Yes, I wouldn't be above suspecting some sharp practice. I recently bought an item (pen) from the US for $60; the postage charge of $11.98 was of course entirely reasonable. The killer was the additional $16.94 "customs charges" I do not believe that the UK customs are interested in $60 items. Yes I received the items in good order and with three copies of a complicated invoice. For God's sake all I want is a pen in a padded envelope!

All this reminds me of an event a few years ago. I wanted to buy something from the US - value from memory about $40. The bloke wanted $44 to ship it. When I queried this he said "Do you expect me to swim the Atlantic with the item on my back?" He didn't get my business. I bought identical items from another seller in California who charged me $11 shipping. For $44 I expect it to be flown over in Airforce 1 and delivered to my home in a car from the US Embassy.

And I recall an ebay listing for a nib - yes, just a nib. The bloke wanted $25 to ship it! These people are having a laugh - and at our expense.

Cob