PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove the Clip from a Watermans W5 ?

Adrian
April 17th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Hi All,

How do I remove the Clip from a Waterman's Made in England W5 ? I need to bend it back towards the cap. I have a light grey stripy Waterman's W5 and it looks good but the nib is a unique nib - I assume not the original one.

Best,

Adrian.

Deb
April 17th, 2014, 06:09 AM
This clip is secured inside the barrel with a hex nut. Like Conway Stewart fittings, they're often corroded with ink but if you're patient and persistent you can usually free it up. The other variety has a screw which goes into a threaded nipple. The same problems apply but I've found this one is usually easier to loosen.

Do you mean a Unique nib with a capital "U"? That's certainly a replacement.

Adrian
April 17th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Hi Deb,

Thanks for the reply. Yes Unique as a brand with a capital U. Not sure if I will hold out for a Waterman's nib before selling the pen. How do you get at teh hexagonal nut i.e. with what tool?

Best,

Adrian.

Deb
April 17th, 2014, 11:54 AM
I use a little Bahco socket set with a quarter-inch drive. Gets into these small spaces well.

Adrian
April 17th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks for this Deb. I will look at my socket set first and if not 1/4 inch then I will buy Bahco. I notice you are near the Helmsdale. Never fished the river but know it is legendary.

Best,

Adrian.

Adrian
April 20th, 2014, 04:10 AM
Hi Deb,

I have looked at the Bahco sets but although I can see 4mm wide socket the sockets broaden too wide to fit the cap. Please could you tell me which you use?

Best,

Adrian.

Deb
April 20th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Sorry, I can't tell you which one it is. I've had it for years and there's nothing on the box to identify it other than Bahco. It's just six very small sockets, a ratchet and an extension.

Adrian
April 20th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Thanks again and Happy Easter.

Adrian.