PDA

View Full Version : Forgot to Clean Your Pen?

Jeph
April 17th, 2014, 11:15 AM
This poor little Pelikan arrived today. The piston was really “sticky” and the ink window was very dirty. I popped it apart and look what I found. The piston seal is (supposed to be) clear. The rest is ink sludge. It is so sticky that it peeled off like a tar o-ring from the end of the seal. I have no idea what type of ink this was, but it was not a good idea to leave it in the pen. Thankfully I can save this one.

Adrian
April 17th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Hi Jeph,

Interesting picture. Are you using a Macro lens if so which do you recommend for pens?
Also, I have no idea how to post a picture. Can you help as to what to do after clicking on insert image?

Best,

Adrian.

Jeph
April 17th, 2014, 12:10 PM
I just use a little Canon PowerShot SX210IS. I use it macro mode with almost full manual settings.
I selected this camera for the combination of a full 10x optical zoom and the macro performance.
It takes HD video also.
When this camera first came out all of that was a pretty big deal.

To add a picture, step 1 is to hit the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom right of the page.
Then click the paperclip "attachments" on the top row fourth from the end.
A Manage Attachments window will pop up (frequently behind the window you are looking at).
On that page, click the green "+ Add Files" plus button in the top right corner.
Then click the "Browse" button and select the image for posting.
Then hit the "Upload" button directly under the selected file location.
A little thinking icon will appear briefly, and when the upload is complete your picture shows up both in the upper "Home" window of uploaded files and the lower "Attachments" window.
You do that for as many pictures as you want to add.
Then you click the "Insert Inline" button and *poof* it appears in your post.
Don't forget to click the done button afterwards or that screen will lurk around in the background making fun of your other windows.
I then suggest you try the "Preview Post" button next and your post as it will appear shows up above where you are typing.
If everything looks OK you press "Submit Reply" or "Submit New Thread" do a little happy dance.

tandaina
April 17th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Ewww. Poor bird!

Adrian
April 17th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Hi Jeph,

Thanks for your help. Thought you might like to see the pens I bought at auction in Lostwithiel Cornwall for £140.

Best,

Adrian.

Jeph
April 20th, 2014, 05:15 AM
Appropriate for Easter Sunday, here is that same piston seal back from the dead.