PDA

View Full Version : Lefthanded Paper Choice

southpaw52
April 17th, 2014, 04:04 PM
I have recently started buying quality paper such as Rhodia and Clair. I'm learning paper choice is as important as my ink choice being lefthanded. I recently bought a pad of Rhodia premier and finding that ink dry times have increased using this paper.Being an underhanded writer the ink still smears some.

When choosing quality paper how does one figure out how quickly it absorbs the ink?

Mags
April 17th, 2014, 04:58 PM
I avoid glossy or shiny papers as a south paw. I admit to using Tomoe River but generally avoid any glossy smooth papers.

Dreck
April 17th, 2014, 07:09 PM
I avoid glossy or shiny papers as a south paw.

That ^^

Bogon07
April 17th, 2014, 11:44 PM
I don't care as long as I've a big sheet of blotting paper handy. Or it not - write under the line.

Dreck
April 18th, 2014, 07:10 AM
I don't care as long as I've a big sheet of blotting paper handy. Or it not - write under the line.

I've gotten into the habit of resting my writing hand on a sheet of Zeller Writing Co's heavyweight blotting paper. Not only does it help keep the oils from my hand out of the paper, but it gives me a guide to help maintain a somewhat horizontal line.

kallenpj
April 18th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Me? Im an over-writer trying to learn to be an underwriter... and not very successfully at that! I want to be able to write without thinking about whether the ink will smear or not... which for my writing style is not very easy to do.

I find paper choice inherently coupled with ink choice... nevertheless my experiences are broken down into over-generic simplifications and are as follows:
Clairefontaine (in general) produces a touch too long of a dry time for me...
Rhodia - Standard 80gsm Rhodia is the longest dry time paper that I purchase. the premium stuff
Apica - My favorite paper recently has been Apica CD-11 notebooks. Good size (A5)... good dry time... easily portable.. affordable (<10 cents per sheet)
I have begun playing with the idea of assembling my own notebooks using 28# laser paper (~105gsm). I have some Georgia Pacific that is pretty good... I know Julie (peaceablewriter.wordpress.com) assembles her own... a little effort can get you exactly what you want. Laserjet paper often has nearly as smooth paper for a third of the price or less... an then if you cut in half or fold in half for A5... a sixth of the price.