PDA

View Full Version : FPN refugee from Raleigh

BiggieD
May 31st, 2012, 12:21 PM
Just a quick Hello -- I'm an FPN member going trhough withdrawl. I'm from Raleigh, bummer that FPN went down right before the Triangle pen show, I found this site through a few references on the Goulet's website.

Thanks so much for providing another forum for pen geeks!

Craig

dannzeman
May 31st, 2012, 02:51 PM
Welcome!

Hopefully we'll get some good show reports. Would have loved to have been able to make it to that show!

eriquito
May 31st, 2012, 03:13 PM
Hi Craig,

Welcome!!

Gosh, I wish I were going to the pen show. Please keep us updated so that we can enjoy it, too =)

BiggieD
May 31st, 2012, 04:49 PM
Hi Craig,

Welcome!!

Gosh, I wish I were going to the pen show. Please keep us updated so that we can enjoy it, too =)

Thanks everyone!

I'll start a thread in the main forum with a trip report (if I can find a main forum -- if not I'll post it here.)

Bogon07
May 31st, 2012, 05:11 PM
Hi BiggieD (Craig) and welcome.

rapid_butterfly
May 31st, 2012, 05:16 PM
I signed up for this a while back, but the FPN outage brought me in, as with many. My partner and I will be going to the pen show this weekend; our first. looking forward to it.

KrazyIvan
May 31st, 2012, 05:34 PM
Welcome to the board and looking forward to your reports.

BiggieD
May 31st, 2012, 05:52 PM
Hi BiggieD (Craig) and welcome.

I signed up for this a while back, but the FPN outage brought me in, as with many. My partner and I will be going to the pen show this weekend; our first. looking forward to it.

Thanks! Rapid_butterfly - the Raleigh show is a great first show -- it's one of the smaller ones so it's less overwhelming. What are you into (new pens, vintage, inks, papers, custom nibs, high-end, low-end, etc?)

At the Raleigh pen show there's usually a lot of vintage pens, some nice new pens. There are at least 4 world renowned nibmeisters at the Raleigh show (Richard Binder, Deb Kinney, Mike Masuyama -Mike it Work, and Pendleton Brown.) I'm partial to Richard and Mike, but Deb is amazing too and her line is usually shorter. Pendleton does incredible custom stub and italic nibs. If you have any pens that need general repair other than nib/flow issues, Ron Zorn of Main Street Pens is a legend - just look for the big red/yellow/green traffic sign.

Mario from Toys from the Attic is one of the nicest guys you'll meet at the show and he always has great high end pens, a limited selection of iroshizuki inks, and last year he had really nice display pen cases.

Deb Kinney has a full selection of Noodler's ink.

One word of caution - every year I spend a bunch of money that I planned to spend at the show, then I stumble on Susan Wirth's table -- Susan is the Steve Jobs of fountain pens. She starts talking and after 5 minutes all of your disposable cash is gone on pens you didn't know you needed until that moment :) Save her table for last or you'll be broke before you leave her table and won't get to see anything else...

Craig

writingrav
May 31st, 2012, 06:44 PM
Welcome!

There have been so many new faces around here the last 2 days it is getting hard to keep up. Beginning to wonder how much Dan and Eric had to do with FPN going down:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2