PDA

View Full Version : Review of Pilot Custom 823

pentorch
April 20th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Hey guys!

Thanks for the comments in the TWSBI 580 thread! This is my review of the Pilot Custom 823. I really like this pen: it's very well made, and writes extremely well.

http://1penfifteen.blogspot.sg/2014/04/review-pilot-custom-823.html

Please let me know how I can improve these reviews.

Many thanks!
pentorch

Wile E Coyote
April 20th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Please let me know how I can improve these reviews.

By posting the review here.

Woody
May 3rd, 2014, 03:28 PM
Thanks Pentorch. Great review of a classic. I have an 823. For some reason the nib has gone a little south on me, but all in all a great pen for the money. $200 is a great price. There around $288 thru many etailers.

Murfie
May 3rd, 2014, 05:17 PM
Please let me know how I can improve these reviews
You did invite comment so here's my threepence worth ...

The embedded font used is very difficult to read, and I do have good eyesight.
The review is far too verbose. You could have provided the same information in far less words.
Far too many subjective comments. Hard to avoid them but try for a better balance with objectivity.
Don't make assumptions because you personally find something unacceptable. e.g. 'tacky stickers' comment.
You advocate unscrewing the vacuum mechanism for a comprehensive flush. That would be more daunting and complicated to some users than just simply unscrewing the barrel from the section, which doesn't require any tools.
Excessive do's and don'ts. Don't assume all of the readers know far less than you about looking after a pen. Some can know much more.
I might be old fashioned but I find that posting a link rather than the whole review in this FPG forum is bad manners, but that is a subjective opinion.

Your review is quite comprehensive and useful for someone who has never had one of these pens and is contemplating a purchase. You have put some effort into the review which many readers will appreciate. Keep at it ...

Bogon07
May 4th, 2014, 03:39 AM
I feel you need to post some portions & pictures of your review as a preview otherwise you will be seen to be simply trawling for traffic to your Blog.

The font on your Blog while elegant is very difficult to read in big blocks of text. Maybe it needs to be slightly larger or bold or the background a more mutted off-white tone.
Your photos are good but could be larger to avoid having to select them to see the larger version as this breaks up the flow of your review. The photo with the writing sample really need to be rotated to display the writing in the correct orientation.

Nice review with plenty of detail & information. Quite helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do the review.

Newjelan
May 5th, 2014, 03:50 AM
I agree with Bogon07. I think it's a comprehensive review but the font is distracting and I found myself skipping over major parts of text as a result. Also, you need to provide a teaser here as like many members, I will only click a link if I'm already really interested.

drgoretex
May 12th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Pretty much like most of the above as far as the requested constructive criticism. But none of that is to put down your efforts, which are greatly appreciated. I quite enjoyed your review of this excellent pen, and look forward to more.

Cheers,

Ken

orabellemia
May 15th, 2023, 07:42 PM
Believe me, you are amazing because you use only a few words to inspire others and that is an incredible talent. rankdle (https://rankdle.io/)

orabellemia
May 15th, 2023, 07:42 PM
Thank you for this useful information

kazoolaw
May 16th, 2023, 08:16 AM
Regarding the complaints about the font: thank you for making the effort to select a font beyond the usual suspects.
For the complaints that the text was too small: "Ctrl and +" is your friend.
Dissembling the pen to clean out the last atom of ink is a reflection of a TWSBI state-of-mind, not Pilot's. Appreciated the warning to the unwary though.
Pen Fifteen indeed!

kazoolaw
May 16th, 2023, 09:17 AM
Don't be a stranger.

Chrissy
May 16th, 2023, 11:32 AM
Just so you know SPAMMER orabellemia resurrected this old thread from 2014 twice today at 02.42am. It's not been visited since 2014 prior to the spam

Stands on Feet
May 16th, 2023, 11:37 AM
Don't be a stranger.

That may be a little late. The OP hasn't posted since 2014. This thread may have chased him away.

Andrew_Lensky
May 16th, 2023, 12:45 PM
Just so you know SPAMMER orabellemia resurrected this old thread from 2014 twice today at 02.42am. It's not been visited since 2014 prior to the spam

)) 100%
Usually in today's Inet it is so difficult to draw attention to some work with a lot of effort, but sometimes random spam so easily updates a forgotten topic))

But interesting. I don't agree with everything, but it's interesting.

kazoolaw
May 17th, 2023, 06:01 AM

Thanks Chrissy,
That's why I didn't mention the spammer and addressed the OP.

Chrissy
May 18th, 2023, 12:36 AM

Thanks Chrissy,
That's why I didn't mention the spammer and addressed the OP.

I suppose it could possibly be worth a try but he hasn't been here since 2014 when he posted this. That's the only reason I posted that the spammer had resurrected this dead thread.

kazoolaw
May 18th, 2023, 05:16 AM
Understood.
In have to admit I didn't notice the 9 year dormancy of the thread at first, which prompted the belated 2nd comment.
Worth a try.