PDA

View Full Version : Antique Portable Desk

dennis.baker
April 20th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Please see pics of an antique portable desk I picked up at an estate sale. It is in great condition and all the parts such as key, ink bottle, etc. Can anyone tell me about it and the possible value.

Jeph
April 20th, 2014, 10:53 AM
I have no idea but it sure is neat!

Mags
April 20th, 2014, 01:29 PM
I am no expert but have seen them listed in rougher shape for $300 and they can be worth $1,300 and more. If the leather, hinge, key and lock are in good shape and the inlay and wood is in good shape you may be able to add more of a premium than the $1,300. Be sure to get an experts advice on its value.

Tracy Lee
April 20th, 2014, 06:57 PM
That is wonderful, congratulations! I would love to have one of these and they can be so expensive when you find them.

ypsilanti
April 20th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Oh, I've drooled over these so many times. I'd love to have one and there are people who make them. Can't remember the name of the store online where I "window shop" but if you google "writing slope" you'll find them. Choose the wood, the finish, the leather writing surface, the size of the pen holders and inkwells and hidden compartments. Oh, my. Dreamy.

dennis.baker
April 20th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I have learned a little more about the slope I have. It is an Antique Victorian Dome Top Walnut Writing Slope and it has a handwritten note in it with "cira 1860" written on it. The ink bottle and top for the ink bottle is perfect and looks like it is original. The key is there in a little compartment. It has a secret compartment area but does not have secret compartment drawers but I don't think it ever had the drawers because there are no runners. There is a brass inlay on the top with the script letters LB. When looking for the secret drawers I did find a card and envelop that was sent to the people who lived in the house where I bought the slope so now I remember where he house is and will do some investigating.

scrivelry
April 20th, 2014, 10:37 PM
MY63 has restored a number of these that he found in really rough shape - he may be able to tell you more. I found one site online fairly easily when I Googled and not much really good information anywhere else yet. Mine are all in somewhat rougher shape than yours - what a nice find!

MY63
April 20th, 2014, 11:17 PM
Hi Dennis
Sorry I can't add anything to the information you already have have a look at www.hygra.com the cartouche is an unusual shape if you are lucky it might lead to a manufacturer.
In the Victorian era these boxes were very popular and there were lists of options to choose from secret compartments were an option to fill the area under the pen tray.
I am not sure on value as I buy wrecks and as yet have not sold any although I need too :)
Michael

kia
April 20th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Oh, I've drooled over these so many times. I'd love to have one and there are people who make them. Can't remember the name of the store online where I "window shop" but if you google "writing slope" you'll find them. Choose the wood, the finish, the leather writing surface, the size of the pen holders and inkwells and hidden compartments. Oh, my. Dreamy.

Deb and Dan McBride of www.azwoodman.com is maybe who you are thinking of. My poplar slope was the first they'd ever made, with no plans - just photos, and since then they have quite the side business for modern slopes and lap desks, found at www.writing-slope.com and www.the-lapdesk.com. My rosewood slope also came from them.

kia
April 20th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Please see pics of an antique portable desk I picked up at an estate sale. It is in great condition and all the parts such as key, ink bottle, etc. Can anyone tell me about it and the possible value.

I can't add any more either, but it really is a nice box. I hope you will be able to find some more information on it. The writing surface looks to be original, too, and not in bad shape for the possible age.

MY63
April 21st, 2014, 01:51 AM
That is wonderful, congratulations! I would love to have one of these and they can be so expensive when you find them.

I would be happy to help you to find a suitable writing slope if you ever decide to take the plunge they seem to be a lot cheaper in the UK.
I have shipped boxes to the USA before and it is not as expensive as you might think.
Michael

ypsilanti
April 21st, 2014, 09:45 AM

Deb and Dan McBride of www.azwoodman.com (http://www.azwoodman.com) is maybe who you are thinking of. My poplar slope was the first they'd ever made, with no plans - just photos, and since then they have quite the side business for modern slopes and lap desks, found at www.writing-slope.com (http://www.writing-slope.com) and www.the-lapdesk.com (http://www.the-lapdesk.com). My rosewood slope also came from them.

Yep, that's them! I'm glad to know they do good work. Thanks!