PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc new 90th ann 750 series in rose gold - which to buy?

youstruckgold
April 20th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Hi. I have seen the new rose gold MB 90th anniversary and I want one.

Two questions:

Which size and why? (this is a double question - I cheated a little)
Which retailer to buy it from (it has to be shipped to Australia).

I look forward to your sage advice.

youstruckgold
April 21st, 2014, 03:15 AM
I've now checked the differences between them all.

Classique is CC - not an option for me so out!
LeGrande and 149 are piston - :)
149 is bigger and fatter (I have a 149 regular)
LeGrande has a 14k Au 585 nib
149 has an 18k Au 750 nib
I like a more flex nib; does that mean the 14k?

tandaina
April 21st, 2014, 08:12 AM
I don't believe any of the modern Montblanc nibs are going to be "flex" in any sense of the word. A tad soft, *maybe* but no flex.

If you want flex and Montblanc look into the pens from the 40s and 50s, many still available in lovely condition and they have beautiful semi-flex nibs. I've never run into a full flex Montblanc but that's overkill for regular daily writing anyway.

Laura N
April 21st, 2014, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I agree: there's no flex in these modern MB nibs.

I find the 149 too big. The Classique looked on the small side, but candidly I like the idea of a cartridge pen for convenience. The LeGrand size is perfect for me, and that's what I would buy, but I think you should buy the size you like best.

I loved the rose gold trim when I saw it the other day.

orfew
April 21st, 2014, 03:12 PM
I don't believe any of the modern Montblanc nibs are going to be "flex" in any sense of the word. A tad soft, *maybe* but no flex.

If you want flex and Montblanc look into the pens from the 40s and 50s, many still available in lovely condition and they have beautiful semi-flex nibs. I've never run into a full flex Montblanc but that's overkill for regular daily writing anyway.
Good advice. The 40's and 50's nibs are great. Some are stiff but others are semi-flex. I also agree that these pens are available for decent prices. You just have to have a little patience.

dannzeman
April 21st, 2014, 06:09 PM
I'd have to go with the 149 because it's the 149.

RuiFromUK
April 22nd, 2014, 12:11 AM
My 149 LeGrand is on its way from Germany (after a nib change) as the regular 149 is too big for my small hands.

youstruckgold
April 23rd, 2014, 02:29 AM
Thankyou all for your thoughts.

I have 2 149s so I've decided to go for the 146.

RuiFromUK
April 24th, 2014, 06:57 AM
My 149 LeGrand is on its way from Germany (after a nib change) as the regular 149 is too big for my small hands.

Half hour ago I received a phone call from the Mont Blanc boutique: the pen should be here today or tomorrow! Do you think I'll be able to sleep tonight with all the excitement and anticipation?