PDA

View Full Version : The Colour of Pi

rberg6868
April 21st, 2014, 06:45 PM
I teach theatre and math and so the places where art and science intersect have always interested me. The idea of coming up with a visual representation of Pi was tugging at the edges of my brain when this idea flooded in. I picked a set of 9 inks that I thought were compatible and randomly assigned a digit to each colour. I then wrote out the first 112 digits of Pi and drew a swatch of colour to represent each number along he curve that I had drawn. I let Pi determine the colours of the painting. I showed my wife when I was finished; her response, "man are you ever a nerd."
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/22/ze6ebaqu.jpg
Inks I used
0 Rorhrer & Klingner Leipziger Schwarz
1 Noodler's Apache Sunset
2 Diamine Ancient Copper
3 Iroshizuku ina-ho
4 Montblanc Lavender Purple
5 GvFC Hazelnut Brown
6 Rohrer&Klingner Alt Goldgrun
7 My own blend Mountain Mist
8 Diamine Salamnder
9 Iroshizuku yama-guri

earthdawn
April 21st, 2014, 07:06 PM
Thats really cool...

Well done :tea:

Jeph
April 22nd, 2014, 12:23 AM
I think that she meant it in a good way.

Brisboy
April 22nd, 2014, 02:58 AM
That's beautiful and fascinating. Thanks fur sharing!

rberg6868
April 22nd, 2014, 07:16 AM
I think that she meant it in a good way.

Oh absolutely! It was all in fun. :)

Crazyorange
April 22nd, 2014, 08:46 AM
Awesome. Beautiful. :)

VertOlive
April 22nd, 2014, 01:39 PM
Fascinating!....one could do that with a snippet of DNA on Chromosome 7....with a really evil color for the clinically significant mutations!

LagNut
April 22nd, 2014, 02:06 PM
Does the length of the line have a significance? It looks suspiciously random to me, which if it is, is really well done.

Very nice!

Nomdeplume
April 22nd, 2014, 09:34 PM
You ARE a nerd! But a talented, artful nerd!

whych
April 23rd, 2014, 03:33 AM
So what's the colour of Raspberry Pi?

RuiFromUK
April 23rd, 2014, 03:48 AM
Excellent idea. Congratulations.

Since you have used 9 colours I assume that any 0's were ignored.

The beauty about irrational and transcendental numbers like π are that they run indefinitely and they never settle to a repetitive pattern. This is just fantastic in a forum mainly related to fountain pens.

rberg6868
April 23rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
Does the length of the line have a significance? It looks suspiciously random to me, which if it is, is really well done.

Very nice!
Yes the length of the line is random. I just went with what I thought would look right. Thank-you.

rberg6868
April 23rd, 2014, 10:52 AM
Excellent idea. Congratulations.

Since you have used 9 colours I assume that any 0's were ignored.

The beauty about irrational and transcendental numbers like π are that they run indefinitely and they never settle to a repetitive pattern. This is just fantastic in a forum mainly related to fountain pens.
Thanks for the kind words. No there are 10 colours. You may have missed the zero at the beginning of my list. It was interesting to me that zero did not appear in pi until 33rd digit. It is the blue-black at the top of the curve. I found this interesting since zero's are circles and pi is so closely tied in to the nature of a circle so I made the first zero digit to appear as the tallest line in the piece. Here's another pi tidbit. I didn't get this far but it is amazing to me the that the 359th digit of pi is 3 the 360th digit of pi is 6, and the 361st digit of pi is 0. So, centred over the 360th digit of pi is the number 3-6-0, the number of degrees in a circle!

VertOlive
April 23rd, 2014, 02:48 PM
rberg6868, even Pythagoras would be impressed!