PDA

View Full Version : Diamine Sargasso Sea

DanielCoffey
May 31st, 2012, 01:43 PM
Since Diamine will be releasing their five new colours on June 1st, here is a little teaser to help make up your mind. It was posted on FPN but well, you know..

===

INK : DIAMINE SARGASSO SEA

PAPER : RHODIA #16 A5 white lined

PEN : Onoto Magna 261 Medium nib tweaked for wet flow by John Sorowka (Oxonian).

Scanner : IT8-calibrated Epson V600 flatbed
Colour Space : Adobe RGB
Matte : 50% grey and 100% white
Post-process : Unsharp Mask

===

Phil from Diamine kindly provided me with a pre-release sample of this ink which will be available from Diamine and authorised resellers from June 1st 2012.
http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSargasso.jpg

Here is a close-up of the swab. I noticed a clear metallic sheen on a very wet writing pen which was just visible on the Rhodia but was very clear on G Lalo Vergé Ivory....

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSargassoSwab.jpg

And a close-up of the shading. Shading in a wet writer is muted in this ink because it is so saturated. I did not have a fine or dry nib to test it on...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSargassoShade.jpg

Since this is one of the newer inks from Diamine I wanted to run the usual drip and soak tests on it. While I can understand folks needing to know how an ink will react outdoors in the rain or where at risk of the odd coffee ring, I suspect those of us who machine-wash our journals are pretty rare. As expected, this ink is in NO way water resistant but then Diamine never said it was. Once wet, this ink will let go a TON of dye from the page. Bring extra kitchen paper!

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSargassoWater.jpg

Some folks have asked if inks show a distinct metallic sheen when used in very wet pens or flex nibs and Diamine Sargasso Sea is a winner here. This pic is not Photoshopped, just natural light at the right angle and a macro lens...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSargassoSheen.jpg

DRYING TIMES : The writing tests above were done in a VERY wet medium nib that had just been cleaned. Drying times on Xerox 90gsm were in the order of 10s and on Rhodia were around 30s. Clairefontaine Triomphe took a good 45s to dry as did G Lalo Vergé.

SMEARING : I noticed a very slight tendency to smudge or smear even when dry if the fingertips were not totally dry but only on certain papers. Copy paper seems to keep hold of the ink properly but very smooth papers such as Clairefontaine Triomphe will need handling with care and dry hands if your pen has a fat or wet nib. I do not believe it is as bad as Diamine Majestic Blue but be aware that since this ink is so saturated, there may be excess dye on the surface when dry.

BLEEDTHROUGH : Since the ink is so saturated, some bleed through may be expected on copy papers with wet or fat nibs. I would not expect bleeding on dry or fine nibs or when the ink is used on a good quality paper. Given the wet nib I used above, I recorded the following... Xerox 90gsm had pronounced bleed through and some feathering. Rhodia had minor bleed through and no feathering. Clairefontaine Triomphe had no bleed through or feathering. G Lalo Vergé had no bleed through or feathering.

FLOW AND LUBRICATION : Flow for this ink seems to be good to high. I suspect even a dry fine nib will put down a good line. A fat or wet nib will lay down a line towards the outside of it's natural width. Lubrication was excellent in the pens tested (my medium above and my broad stub). The writing experience was very enjoyable.

KrazyIvan
May 31st, 2012, 01:47 PM
Interesting color as I really like blues. looks a bit like Noodler's Blue with a hint of red sheen on my end. Would that be a good assesment?

DanielCoffey
May 31st, 2012, 01:49 PM
I have just added the sheen pic which I had forgotten to append. I think it has a little more purple than Noodler's Blue. According to Phil at Diamine it is in no way intended to be a direct replacement for that lovely but unobtainable other blue, PPS.

KrazyIvan
May 31st, 2012, 01:52 PM
We are not name shy here. You can name the ink.

DanielCoffey
May 31st, 2012, 02:02 PM
That would be Parker Penman Sapphire (PPS).

DanielCoffey
May 31st, 2012, 03:14 PM
I have just edited the first post with the extra text that I had added on FPN - thanks to Google Cache.

eriquito
May 31st, 2012, 05:04 PM
DanielCoffey,

It's wonderful to have you here. You're costing me money!

=) Eric

jotterius
May 31st, 2012, 05:33 PM
Really nice review and ink!!!!!!!!

fountainpenkid
May 31st, 2012, 05:34 PM
nice ink! thanks for the review!

KrazyIvan
May 31st, 2012, 05:38 PM
That would be Parker Penman Sapphire (PPS).

Gotcha and thanks for those pictures. The sheen is very nice. I unfortunately never got to try that Parker ink.

gumwater
May 31st, 2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the great review. I'm looking forward to trying these new inks.

Maja
May 31st, 2012, 07:00 PM
While I can understand folks needing to know how an ink will react outdoors in the rain or where at risk of the odd coffee ring, I suspect those of us who machine-wash our journals are pretty rare.

:pound:

But seriously.......The metallic sheen property of this ink is a.m.a.z.i.n.g !!!
Thanks for the review!

esterbex
May 31st, 2012, 11:33 PM
Great review of an ink I've been impatiently waiting for! Thanks DC!

Bogon07
May 31st, 2012, 11:37 PM
For some reason I expected Sargasso Sea to have touch of green in it but it appears a nice blue until you get the close-up angle ...those purple and gold/copper tones are amazing.

Great macro work in that photo, it is incredible to see the paper texture like that.

vistafan
June 1st, 2012, 12:19 AM
I just ordered this last night from Diamine directly! I also purchased Wild Strawberry and Grape, as well as some of the older range. I wasn't that blown away by Misty Blue, but it may change.

The Good Captain
June 1st, 2012, 03:20 AM
I'm hoping to get a bottle tomorrow, always assuming that my supplier in the 'big town' has it by then. Should do - it's only a relatively-few miles from Diamine!
Nice to see this on here Daniel!

DanielCoffey
June 1st, 2012, 03:34 AM
Yup - needed an ink fix so jumped on here once it was obvious something more serious than a power outage had hit FPN.

I figured that since today was the release day for the last five I should put the Sargasso and Ochre up for folks since Phil had kindly given me then for review... now I just have to drag the other reviews out of the Google Cache.

Bogon07 - the paper was G Lalo Vergé Ivory and the camera was at a low angle. Sargasso sheens very readily and so does Bilberry. In fact Bilberry is even more keen to show its charms.

KrazyIvan
June 1st, 2012, 11:31 PM
Is the ink easy to clean up after using in a pen?

DanielCoffey
June 2nd, 2012, 01:08 AM
Fairly easy, yes. It is a more saturated ink than we are used to from Diamine so treat it almost like you would a Private Reserve ink.

With a Piston filler or similar, expect to be flushing for quite a while but with a CC pen it is easy to clean. A rubber bulb syringe is great for helping to clean out CC pens and works very well here.

Of course, if your regime is "one ink - one pen" then you won't need to spend ages cleaning it out until it is time for a routine flush anyway.

The Good Captain
June 3rd, 2012, 03:50 AM
I did get a bottle yesterday and also the Bilberry but I've only inked up a pen with the Sargasso. Very nice colour indeed. More comments later.

WOBentley
June 3rd, 2012, 06:15 PM
Great review...I have a bottle waiting its turn and it may have just been bumped to the head of the line by your picture of the sheen!