PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

rgperedo
April 22nd, 2014, 12:16 PM
Hello, my name is Rob. I am a graduate student here in NY. I study art history (precisely renaissance architecture) but I have lots of interested within art history. I have been collecting pens (non fountain pens that is) for a looooong time. My first "real" fountain pen was an amazing Sailor Recruit. I lost it and that was the catalyst for my collecting fountain pens (if anyone has this pen and is willing to part with it please please message me, it's been a mission of mine to recover this amazing pen).

I love researching and reading so naturally fountain pens were my inclination. I love finding out new information and it seems like you can never know everything about fountain pens, which I find exciting. I mentioned I have been collecting pens for a long time, this is because I am also an artist and I started with art supplies and I eventually bought all kinds of pens/pencils/writing utensils. I must admit I always had a romantic idea of fountain pens and what they signify, which was sometimes intimidating, but I am about a dozen fountain pens in and I am no longer intimidated, although I still highly regard them as a symbol. I still haven't decided if it's good or bad or if that even matters hahaha.

I intend on being active in the community as long as I don't have an insane amount of schoolwork. I've read some of the posts and I have to admit I'm excited, it seems like it's an excellent and helpful group. Thank you for taking a few minutes to read my thread. Please feel free to message me or reply with questions or comments. Thank you.

cheers

-R

VertOlive
April 22nd, 2014, 01:40 PM
Welcome Rob! So what sorts of fountain pens are you packing?

caribbean_skye
April 22nd, 2014, 05:59 PM
welcome, welcome. Dare I ask how many pens are in your colection and which would you say is the most interesting one and why.

rgperedo
April 22nd, 2014, 06:41 PM
Thank you! I had 12 fountain pens, I have 11 now. I gave one of my Metropolitans to my little cousin (to hopefully spark his interest in fountain pens)
So here is a list, I will try to post a photo tomorrow, I am nowhere near my pens at the moment (except the pen I always carry: Lamy Safari, charcoal with a black EF nib, a converter with Sailor Nano ink in Ultra Black):

-Lamy Safari - Yellow - F nib
-Lamy Vista - EF nib
-Lamy Safari - Charcoal - Black EF nib
-Pilot Metropolitan - Silver - M
-Pilot Metropolitan - Black - M
-Sailor High Ace - Orange - F nib
-Sailor Clear Candy - Blue - F nib
-Kaweco Classic Sport - Bordeaux - F nib
-TWSBI Diamond 580 - EF nib
-Monteverde Impressa - Gunmetal & red - F nib

I suppose the "most interesting" would be the TWSBI or Monteverde, but I am honestly really partial to my two cheap Sailor pens. They write smoothly, I never had a problem and the nibs are precise. I also really enjoy the Safari pens, I know they aren't anything "special" but I can appreciate a solid pen that does its job. I can admit that the TWSBI really does feel much better that the others in many ways, but for some reason I don't carry it around as often. Like I mentioned before I carry around the charcoal Safari ( I change it up, but I'm always carrying at least one Safari) and I also carry around a Kaweco or one of my Sailor pens.

There are a lot of pens that I want to get, and as I keep understanding what I like I want different things, but I think Safaris and cheap Sailor pens will always have a spot in my heart. I was actually in Montreal a week ago and visited Nota-Bene which is a really great shop and I got to test drive a Lamy 2000 and I know that I will own that pen!! I want to pace myself while buying my pens. I definitely went through a short spell of just buying stuff, but now I like to make a game plan and make it count instead of just picking pens up to amass a large collection. I should also mention the Metropolitans are amazing, I mean I think at their price they're a steal.

By the way I'm really into the idea of archival and waterproof inks so I haven't really gotten too crazy with colors and inks. I love the Sailor Nano ink (ultra black) and I basically use this on all my pens. I did however just get a Noodler's 54th Massachusetts which I will try out in the next few days (grad school is kicking my butt so all hobbies are on hold until schoolwork is completed) but I am excited to try a new ink. Of course I'm always open to suggestions for new inks.

Thanks for the interest!!

writingrav
April 22nd, 2014, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the madness. Indulge!

cwent2
April 22nd, 2014, 07:30 PM
:welcome:To the forum

earthdawn
April 22nd, 2014, 07:48 PM
Welcome !

Nice to have you with us

:welcome:

TerraNoir
April 22nd, 2014, 08:18 PM
:welcome: It looks like you have some lovely pens in your collection. Are you thinking about any new additions?

rgperedo
April 22nd, 2014, 09:51 PM
Thank you. I am definitely a firm believer in the fact that people have different collecting styles and different taste, so a collection should be indicative of the collector. I think my small collection does just that.

Actually as I've gotten more pens I notice that I'm getting pickier and more snobby about what I like hahahaha. So with that being said I would have to admit that I am going to try to get some higher priced pens, mostly because I'm curious about the "big deal." Like I mentioned I got to test drive a Lamy 2000 and I could immediately tell it was different from all of my current pens. So I am definitely looking to get a Lamy 2000 in the very near future. I also want to get my hands on a Pilot Vanishing Point with a fine nib (black preferably) and what I'll probably get sooner than those two pens is perhaps a TWSBI mini. I like the 580, but it kind of annoys me a little that when the pen is posted (it's pretty large) the piston can be moved if the posted cap is twisted. I don't really do this when I write, but it's always on the back of my mind (and I only really like pens that post well). So I think the Mini will fix all my TWSBI 580 issues.

I am sort of partial to demonstrators and I like classy looking pens as well. I am still not ready for vintage fountain pens, even though I am definitely interested in a Parker 51, mostly because I'm curious and have heard great things. Hopefully from being on this forum I'll get new ideas and new interests that will help me think about the next few pens that I want.

Jeph
April 22nd, 2014, 11:56 PM
:welcome:

Mags
April 26th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Welcome to the forum and that seems like a good collection of very useable pens you have chosen