PDA

View Full Version : SF Pen Show 2014 update

AltecGreen
April 23rd, 2014, 06:28 PM
The San Francisco Pen Show is just four months away.

The show will be held August 22-24, 2014 at the Beautiful Sofitel San Francisco Bay hotel in Redwood City. Visitors can attend for $10 per day, $15 for two days or sign up for a three-day Early Trader pass with early admission for $60. Children under 13 are free. If you plan to stay at the hotel, ask for the $129 per night San Francisco Pen Show rate. But reserve early, before July 20, 2014 to get the pen show rate as rooms are limited.

We expect to have over 80 exhibitors. Among them will be three nibmeisters. John Mottishaw, Mike Masuyama, and Greg Minuskin are all planning to attend. Susan Wirth and Susan Thom will hold seminars on Saturday and Sunday. We are working on several more seminars so stay tuned for more news.

For more details, go to www.sfpenshow.com

Jerome Tarshis
April 23rd, 2014, 11:56 PM
Keep those updates coming. And thanks to AltecGreen and FarmBoy for doing the heavy lifting that's needed to make the show happen.

Farmboy
July 1st, 2014, 02:23 PM
The 2014 San Francisco Pen Show date is rapidly approaching. If you missed it, the show is August 22-24.

We welcome Franklin Christoph and their fine line of American made fountain pens to the 2014 SF Penshow. Also confirmed are vintage pen luminaries Lee Chait and Paul Erano. We will also have the 3Ms of nib work present. Susan Wirth will also present her seminar on how to write write.

The deadline to get a room at the show rate is July 31st. We have added additional rooms to our allocations but these won;t last. Book your room now to ensure the show the rate of $129.00/night.

The 2014 San Francisco Pen show will be a party to remember. On Friday night, we will have live music with the Royal Deuces courtesy of West Coast Pens. This is something not to be missed. If you come early there will be cocktails Thursday night--look for us somewhere in the hotel. More details to follow in the coming weeks.

We hope to see you in August!

Jon Szanto
July 1st, 2014, 02:40 PM
If you come early there will be cocktails Thursday night--look for us somewhere in the hotel. More details to follow in the coming weeks.

Oh no! I was hoping to avoid buying that night at the hotel by driving up overnight and getting there Friday morn. I'll will have to consider, but it's time to make my reservations, anyway.

ETA: Good to see Paul Erano is going to be there.

RayCornett
July 3rd, 2014, 04:23 AM
I hope to be able to make it. If so, I may need to hitch a ride from South Sacramento. Why no 3 day basic admission pass? That is a steep price jump from $15 to $60 just because you want to attend all 3 days.......

allanorn
July 19th, 2014, 09:39 PM
I hope to be able to make it. If so, I may need to hitch a ride from South Sacramento. Why no 3 day basic admission pass? That is a steep price jump from $15 to $60 just because you want to attend all 3 days.......

Try Amtrak to Richmond, then BART to SFO, then catch the hotel shuttle. It's slightly complicated, but I'll probably catch the hotel shuttle at SFO if I go.

RayCornett
July 26th, 2014, 03:17 AM

Try Amtrak to Richmond, then BART to SFO, then catch the hotel shuttle. It's slightly complicated, but I'll probably catch the hotel shuttle at SFO if I go.

Not sure why I didn't think of it. I actually love the route from Sacramento/Davis to Richmond. Had a friend there we would take the train to visit them on a few times a year. I just might do that. It's faster, has snackies, and a bathroom. I HATE getting stuck in bay area traffic. It always happens when I have to "go" lol.

Farmboy
July 26th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Yesterday morning the Sofitel called and said the rooms were sold out for some nights. SO, yesterday we fixed that. We managed to reserve another small block of rooms at the show rate. If you had made reservations and didn't get the show rate you should now have it giving you more money for pens.

If you haven't booked rooms now is the time to do so, the rate is only guaranteed until 7-31 or until they run out.

AltecGreen
July 31st, 2014, 09:22 PM
Due to a flurry of last minute bookings, the hotel has extended the deadline for the show rate to 8/4.

We welcome Ryan Krusac Studios to the show. Ryan makes a line of custom pens made from gorgeous woods.

I'll try to have the complete show agenda up next week give or take a few days. As a reminder, if you arrive early for the show, we will be having cocktails and appetizers on Thursday night. Also, the Royal Deuces will be playing Friday night. The music Friday night is open to the public courtesy of the SF Pen Show. Come out and have a blast.

ac12
August 6th, 2014, 08:53 PM
2 weeks to the show :bump2:

gweddig
August 6th, 2014, 11:29 PM
I'll be selling bottles of home brew IG ink on Friday, the acorn and the oak gall varieties.
Also planning to clear out a bunch of desk sets, vintage ink and other ephemera. (Oh and some pens too.)

--greg

Jon Szanto
August 6th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Also, the Royal Deuces will be playing Friday night. The music Friday night is open to the public courtesy of the SF Pen Show. Come out and have a blast.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/4aa31972224d89060aa290bd2ebe08d9/tumblr_mxtosu5Jz11r8ngwyo1_500.gif

gweddig
August 7th, 2014, 12:48 AM
I keep forgetting to ask if Stylo Art will be there or if I have to wait for LA.

ac12
August 7th, 2014, 08:44 PM
@gweddig
Desk sets, now you got my attention.
I gotta check out your table.

AltecGreen
August 9th, 2014, 12:20 AM
@gweddig
Desk sets, now you got my attention.
I gotta check out your table.

Sunday afternoon is the best time for desk sets. Dealers don't want to have to lug the stuff back.

davefeldman
August 12th, 2014, 10:39 AM

I think the $60 also allows you to claim half a table on Friday to put out some stuff you might want to sell/trade. Is this right?

AltecGreen
August 12th, 2014, 10:51 AM

I think the $60 also allows you to claim half a table on Friday to put out some stuff you might want to sell/trade. Is this right?

This is correct. It also allows access to Saturday and Sunday morning before the doors open to the general public. There will be a few other perks for the holders of the trader pass at this show. This format is similar to what is done at a number of shows including all of the big shows. In LA for example, you have to buy a trader pass to attend Thursday, Friday, or Saturday with Sunday the only public day. The alternative way some shows run is to have all general public days and no trader days. There are advantages and disadvantages for both systems.

I may have a more in depth discussion about the advantages and disadvantages after the show.

kernando
August 16th, 2014, 03:38 AM
Ooh desk sets. Any Vacumatic desk parts or pairs of green pens?