PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first Shaeffer Snorkel.

DavidDecorator
April 25th, 2014, 04:53 AM
It needs a flush so any advice on how this can be achieved would be appreciated as I'm not sure about the ammonia soak with these pens. Secondly the nib appears to be bent towards the surface is that how it's supposed to be? Lastly is there any way to polish the scratch marks out of the barrel please ?

RuiFromUK
April 25th, 2014, 05:19 AM
Hi David,

Is the ink filling system working properly? Otherwise I'll bring you some notes next time we meet.

As to your question on cleaning the pen I do not soak my pens. A few minutes rinse with water a couple of drops of dishwash liquid is fine for me.

As to the nib a picture will be better for us to see what it looks like. If you ask her nicely Annie should be able to help you on that next time we meet.

On the polishing side, upon advice of one of our members, I have used Novus #1 plastic polish to polish the pens and Novus #2 to remove light scratches as necessary. Annie uses Simichrome which she has given me a little bit for me to try. Be careful not to polish any metalic pen parts that have been plated as these might remove the plating.

Roger W.
April 25th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Yes, nibs typically turn upwards.

Roger W.

Jon Szanto
April 25th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Since you have to flush the pen, I would suggest trying filling and expelling water before you try with ink. If the seals have not been replaces and might be leaking, or the sac needs replacement, it will be a lot less messy if you test all that out with plain water.

+1 on the Novus products. I don't know about Amazon UK, but I can get a 3-pack of the No. 1, 2, and 3 in small bottles for a nominal cost and they last through a lot of pen refurbishings.

Most of these conical nibs have a slight bend upwards, as shown below...

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/sheaffer/snorkel_red_m_3.jpg

david i
April 25th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Hi David,

Yeah, many Sheaffer nibs have a slight curve of that sort. Seems to enhance nice writing. Nothing about which to worry.

If, as a new Snork collector, you'd like to learn more, I offer my Snorkel Guide, noting a few pics need to be added, and the long profile still needs to be trimmed.

Sheaffer Snorkel Guide (http://vacumania.com/website/sheaffersnorkelguide.htm)

regards

David

DavidDecorator
April 28th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Well I can see why the nib would turn up to let out the proboscis. Unfortunately despite a thorough flushing this one will not fill with enough ink to complete a sentence.
So I need to send it to someone who can return it to its former glory. But whom.....?

david i
April 28th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Hi,

The upturned nib is a common finding going back to 1930's in Sheaffers, and often the open nibs in Snorkels don't hve that feature. It's not a Snork-specific thing

Most restorers of old pens work on Snorkel.

A few names (not to suggest exclusion of others) include

Ron Zorn
Martin Ferguson
Mike Kennedy
Ron Meloche
Danny Fudge
Sherrell Tyree

regards

david

RuiFromUK
April 29th, 2014, 01:33 AM
So I need to send it to someone who can return it to its former glory. But whom.....?

A very well known pen repair person in UK is Eric Wilson who has a website here http://eckiethump.webs.com/.

Otherwise why don't you bring the pen with you at the next Geek's monthly meeting?

DavidDecorator
April 29th, 2014, 04:53 AM
Hmm yes I could do that and thanks for the information on all the repairers.