PDA

View Full Version : 600 Medium or Fine nib?

Paul Raposo
May 31st, 2012, 03:46 PM
Hey all.

My first post here, and I thought I'd start off by asking opinions on Pelikan nib sizes.

I bought a pre-owned 600 with an OB nib, and I haven't had much luck writing with it. I plan to buy a replacement tomorrow, and was wondering what others thought of the F vs. medium nibs. I have read that a Pelikan F is like a medium for other companies, so I would assume an M would be like a bold?

peterpen53
May 31st, 2012, 03:56 PM
I think that saying a Pelikan M writes like a bold is stretching it a bit. I have several 600-size pens with both M- and B-nibs and only one F that does not get much exercise. The M's can run a bit on the wide side but the B's are definitely broader but not more so than other brands'. I think the 800-size M-nibs would be more prone to that. However if you really like a finer line, you should probably try an F.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Peter

Paul Raposo
May 31st, 2012, 04:03 PM
Hi Peter.

Thanks much for the info. Truthfully, I'm not good with fine nibs. I write with a heavy hand, and most fines can't keep up. Plus I like a dark, wet line that's on the wider size, so I think the medium would be the best choice. I have a few pens with broad nibs, and those are my "special" pens, not used daily. I'm hoping the medium will be a good daily nib.

peterpen53
May 31st, 2012, 04:07 PM
A medium will undoubtedly be a good daily writer but if you really like a wide line and you have the chance to try one, try a B. If you're lucky (and this is not a sure thing as with a Montblanc B) you might find one with a stubbish grind.

Paul Raposo
May 31st, 2012, 04:19 PM
I am curious about the Pel B nibs, and even the BB, but unfortunately I can't find any shops in Canada with anything other than fines, and mediums. Oddly, many have oblique nibs in bold sizes, but not non-oblique nibs.

I like the wide, wet line on my OB, and I imagine a non-oblique nib in bold would be great to write with, but I don't want to have to order across the border.

82-Greg
June 9th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Difficult to answer unless we know what your routinely write with. If you favor Japanese pens with a Medium nib, I would definitely say get a Fine. If you like Lamy nibs, get the same size in Pelikan, although Pelikans are IMHO a tad narrowed than Lamy's typically generous standards. Your best bet would be to go to a brick and mortar store and try them out at the store. Just remember that the service you get is wrapped up in the price of the nib.

Are you familiar with oblique nibs? Many people aren't and consequently have difficulty writing with them.

The Good Captain
June 10th, 2012, 02:36 AM
I've one 600 F which is the same width as another 600 M. And yet another 600 M which is a little wider still. I was lucky and could try them out before making the final purchase decision. And they all get used in the rotation. My favourite? Possibly the 600 with the F.