PDA

View Full Version : Manu Propria Urushi Fountain Pen - Namban Kawarinuri

Manupropria
April 27th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Hello,

I am new to this forum and the pen world and thought its a good idea to be active today.
That's two images of an ebonite fountain pen I recently made. Its finish is urushi lacquer, the design or technique I call "Namban Kawari Nuri". Namban is the Japanese term to describe things that come from abroad or especially from the South. Kawari Nuri is a term for "experimental" urushi lacquer techniques. On the foundation and undercoats many stripes are lacquered with either red r black urushilacquer and sprinkled with various powders made of gold, silver, platinum, copper and so on.
Every sprinkled circle had to harden for 24 hours before the next was applied. Finally the surface was lacquered 10 times fith finest transparent Japanese urushi and ground flat. The pictures have been taken one day after finishing. Urushi becomes more and more transparent with the years. So wondering how it will look in two years.

Lady Onogaro
April 27th, 2014, 11:12 AM
It's really beautiful. Thank you for showing it. Thank you also for taking the time to describe the materials and the process. I have admired these pens, and I know little about how they are made.

Tracy Lee
April 27th, 2014, 12:27 PM
That is an extremely beautiful and unique pen. Let me echo the thanks for describing the process in detail. Fascinating.

tandaina
April 27th, 2014, 04:40 PM
That is lovely! I've never seen urushi look like that, very unique. Can't wait to see how it ages.

kia
April 27th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Very beautiful, and unique.

Crazyorange
April 28th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Wow...I love the look. Beautiful workmanship.

Alex2014
April 28th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Amazing.